Number of Callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Number of Callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:56 pm

For those of you who were as blessed as me to get double digit callbacks, how many are you doing? I don't want to do more than 5, especially since I'm comparing firms that all do the same thing in the same city and I have a sense of the 5 I'm most interested in.

Anonymous User

Re: Number of Callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Ended up with 15+. Doing about 10, but scheduled all just to be safe
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:57 pm

You would be absolutely retarded to only schedule 5 of them. Schedule many more until you know for absolutely certain that you have an offer. Only then should you start cancelling the ones you really don't want. Double digit callbacks mean nothing until you have a job offer in hand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:59 pm

I have 15 and will probably set the record for most callbacks without an offer...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:00 pm

13, doing 10. Didn't cancel the other 3 until I had an offer in hand. No way I would cancel one without an offer unless I had over 20.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Is it possible (I mean really possible) to strike out with 15+ callbacks? Seems almost impossible, but my interviewing is so bad.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Schedule the ones you want most first and the ones you want least later, but schedule them all. The offers you want more will likely be made first, and then you can cancel remaining CBs at the firms you do not want. This allows you to maximize your chances (reducing risk), while still reducing the number of callbacks you are likely to actually to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Scheduled my top firm first. Got an offer. Canceled 10/13 remaining callbacks.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible (I mean really possible) to strike out with 15+ callbacks? Seems almost impossible, but my interviewing is so bad.
Darling, you wouldn't have 15 callbacks if you were bad at interviewing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible (I mean really possible) to strike out with 15+ callbacks? Seems almost impossible, but my interviewing is so bad.

Sure. I have lost 18 hands in a row in blackjack, a game where you have about a 52% chance of winning or tying each individual hand. Assuming a CB-to-offer rate of 50%, what is to prevent you from doing the same?

The chances are very low, especially if you are the type of interviewee that can snag 15+ callbacks. Still, entirely possible. Schedule all of them with the ones you want most first. When you receive offers cut CBs at firms you'd never accept over the offers available.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:18 pm

With a 50% callback to offer rate, the odds of getting one offer when doing five callbacks is about 97% (1-(.5)^5)

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With a 50% callback to offer rate, the odds of getting one offer when doing five callbacks is about 97% (1-(.5)^5)
Unless you can do that type of math. Anyone I know who can do that is completely socially inept.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't think I am retarded for just scheduling ~5 out of all my cbs...but depending on the market and options (I do already have a 1L SA offer for 2L summer, so obviously different situation), I do agree that scheduling most of them (say 10 ish?) with the ones you are most interested in first = TCR. If that is common practice, which I believe it is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:24 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:I don't think I am retarded for just scheduling ~5 out of all my cbs...but depending on the market and options (I do already have a 1L SA offer for 2L summer, so obviously different situation), I do agree that scheduling most of them (say 10 ish?) with the ones you are most interested in first = TCR. If that is common practice, which I believe it is.

As you alluded to- you already have an offer.

Other people need to schedule every CB they would conceivably accept, not just 10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 pm

22 screeners, 19 CB's. Denied the ones I really wouldn't want to work at and scheduled the rest - about 14. Did 8, got 5 offers including my top choices (still waiting on 1 contender), in the process of canceling the remaining CB's. Better to be safe than sorry, I think, but definitely schedule the ones you really want first if possible so you can get an offer you'd go with and easily cancel the rest.

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:I don't think I am retarded for just scheduling ~5 out of all my cbs...but depending on the market and options (I do already have a 1L SA offer for 2L summer, so obviously different situation), I do agree that scheduling most of them (say 10 ish?) with the ones you are most interested in first = TCR. If that is common practice, which I believe it is.

Other people need to schedule every CB they would conceivably accept, not just 10.

Unintentionally anonymous.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Glock wrote: Sure. I have lost 18 hands in a row in blackjack, a game where you have about a 52% chance of winning or tying each individual hand. Assuming a CB-to-offer rate of 50%, what is to prevent you from doing the same?
interviewing is not a game of chance?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 pm

got 12 cb's, scheduled them all, cancelled the ones lower on my list as i got offers from the ones high up on my list. really only ended up doing 4-5. imo, it's a good idea to schedule them all, but place the ones you want least farther out in time so you can cancel them if you end up getting a firm you like better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Went 17 for 20 and scheduled most, but I got a same day offer at my first cb. Did four more over the three days that followed and cancelled all but one of the others. I will have done 6 of the 17 and that is plenty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 pm

How high is the correlation between grades and # of callbacks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How high is the correlation between grades and # of callbacks?
if you're looking at sheer # of callbacks, i didn't find the correlation to be that high. i had double-digit cb's with slightly below-median grades (albeit at a T6). in my experience & the experiences of my classmates, higher grades of course led to plenty of cb's, but the main difference between those with high grades and those with lower grades was the vault rankings of the firms they received cb's at. it wasn't unheard of for someone with marginal grades to get a lot of cb's, but the ones they got were scattered all over the v100 with only the occasional v10 firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Glock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Unintentionally anonymous.
lol I don't know if I 'alluded' to it as much as I just stated it, but even if I didn't have the offer, I'm not the type to overload -- only the ones I am really interested while still having a good spread of reaches, targets, and safeties of course. Is why I still recommended he do that many, and of course it depends on the market (SF or DC vs. say NYC). But I guess there is not a lot of downside to scheduling them all in order of interest and canceling later ones...just not sure how that works w/ firms where they have paid for travel and the like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Received 20+, scheduled 17, will likely end up doing around 10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Very easy to go 0-5. Schedule them all, with top choices first. If you're as good at interviewing as you think you are, you'll get an offer before you're through all of them anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 pm

26 callbacks, scheduled all 26. Of course, I cancelled 19 of rhem after getting an offer, but schedule them all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”