White & Case v. Sidley

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Head or heart?

White & Case
Sidley Austin
Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

White & Case v. Sidley

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Really interested in international work and infrastructure deals - Sidley doesn't really do this at all, White & Case does nothing but, yet White & Case is...scary. Go with the better firm for interests, or the better general firm overall?

Anonymous User

Re: White & Case v. Sidley

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:29 am

OP here. Just curious as to why there's a huge break in favor of Sidley. Know that White & Case has had it's problems, but curious if there are specific factors influencing votes.

Re: White & Case v. Sidley

Postby Riles246 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:47 am

My opinion is that you should go wherever you can do what interests you. I used to work in a Big4 accounting firm, and before we were hired we all heard about long hours and big egos, basically equating to your description of W&C (that it is scary). However, once I started I found most of the rumors to be unfounded and most likely propagated by a handful of disgruntled employees. Further, during my time there, I found that I much preferred projects doing interesting work even if the team sucked since I found the opposite to be worse. You can learn how to deal with crappy people if you enjoy your work, but uninteresting work is a high hurdle even if you are working with your best friends. If you truly are interested in international work, and if W&C is clearly stronger in that area, you should go there.

On the other hand, if international work is merely a preference, then you are right to consider the personalities and work environment. As usual, it's a balancing test (ugh torts). Good luck in your decision.

Return to “Legal Employment”