NALP Deadline Extensions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273049
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

NALP Deadline Extensions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Has anyone had any experience requesting extensions to the 28 day window? I received an offer very early in the game which will be expiring within a week. I have two callbacks that I won't be able to schedule before that time (plus the wait time for an actual response).

I am really happy with the firm who gave me the offer, and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot by signaling that they could be my second choice...but I really want to go to these other firms, meet more people, eat more lunches and make a very important career decision on full information. That is what I'll tell them, of course...

Has anyone been successful at asking for such an extension? Unsuccessful? If so, did you go ahead and accept the offer when you realized it was the sure thing vs. a shot at a (possibly better/possibly similar) thing?

I really don't want to send a bad signal, but these other firms are V5 & V25 and I want to at least get inside of to see...

OCS (yeah, right) and a hiring partner at an office of one of the firms I need to do the CB with both say it should be fine, but neither source is unbiased (though for different reasons)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273049
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NALP Deadline Extensions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had any experience requesting extensions to the 28 day window? I received an offer very early in the game which will be expiring within a week. I have two callbacks that I won't be able to schedule before that time (plus the wait time for an actual response).

I am really happy with the firm who gave me the offer, and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot by signaling that they could be my second choice...but I really want to go to these other firms, meet more people, eat more lunches and make a very important career decision on full information. That is what I'll tell them, of course...

Has anyone been successful at asking for such an extension? Unsuccessful? If so, did you go ahead and accept the offer when you realized it was the sure thing vs. a shot at a (possibly better/possibly similar) thing?

I really don't want to send a bad signal, but these other firms are V5 & V25 and I want to at least get inside of to see...

OCS (yeah, right) and a hiring partner at an office of one of the firms I need to do the CB with both say it should be fine, but neither source is unbiased (though for different reasons)


Bump? Interested in this as well...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273049
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NALP Deadline Extensions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:07 pm

I was in the same situation, since I was seriously interested in the firm that made me the early offer, but I just wasn't comfortable committing to anything while I still had so many callbacks pending. I conveyed to the firm that they were still among my top choices, and that I am seriously considering them, but just needed a bit more time. They granted me an extra week just so that a few more callback decisions could come in. Make sure to convey your interest in them, and let them know you are very seriously considering the offer. They won't play hardball with you if that's how you frame it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.