Shitlaw even possible?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shitlaw even possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm a 1L at a T2 in Kentucky. I'm posting this anonymously as I know there are folks at my school who peruse this site regularly. Presume my first year grades are at median, give or take (this is where I expect to end up, gauging from my section's intelligence and work ethic). My S/O is a M.D.--I just want to make enough money where we have some supplemental income for eating out, some nice vacations, and to eventually pay off my loans.

So, presuming median, is ShitLaw within my reach, or is that too ambitious?

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: Shitlaw even possible?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a T2 in Kentucky. I'm posting this anonymously as I know there are folks at my school who peruse this site regularly. Presume my first year grades are at median, give or take (this is where I expect to end up, gauging from my section's intelligence and work ethic). My S/O is a M.D.--I just want to make enough money where we have some supplemental income for eating out, some nice vacations, and to eventually pay off my loans.

Yes, shitlaw would be within reach. How good are you at hustling?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a T2 in Kentucky. I'm posting this anonymously as I know there are folks at my school who peruse this site regularly. Presume my first year grades are at median, give or take (this is where I expect to end up, gauging from my section's intelligence and work ethic). My S/O is a M.D.--I just want to make enough money where we have some supplemental income for eating out, some nice vacations, and to eventually pay off my loans.

Yes, shitlaw would be within reach. How good are you at hustling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmFEpl74sI

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:17 pm

could you use that desire to bring in supplemental income to increase your motivation to work hard in school? you still have the ability to influence the type of job you get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:could you use that desire to bring in supplemental income to increase your motivation to work hard in school? you still have the ability to influence the type of job you get.

I'd be thrilled if I managed to get significantly above median, and I'm putting in a good amount of effort to try to get there(casebook readings, supplements, starting rough outlines). Really, the main issue is that I'm just not particularly bright, having scored only a 159 on the LSAT after months of study, nor am I an exceptionally talented writer.

One more question: at what point is there a general consensus on TLS that even ShitLaw would be out of consideration at a T2 in my region? Bottom 25th percentile?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Shitlaw firms do not care about class rank (in most cases). They care about how much work they can get out of you (for the least amount of money), before you walk out the door. It has nothing to do with grades. To land a shitlaw job you have to get out there and just work (during school and after). Shitlaw firms care about how much you know (practical lawyering), and how much you can take (hence the term shitlaw). There is no GPA cuttoff for defending hit from the rear auto cases.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:52 pm

What makes you think a "shitlaw" job pays enough to allow you to do all that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Veyron wrote:What makes you think a "shitlaw" job pays enough to allow you to do all that?

Good point, I should have been more specific. I'm aiming for 35-50k starting salary, so I guess not the lowest ShitLaw can go, by any means.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:56 pm

One of my law school classmates married his longtime girlfriend who was an MD. He worked for a medium sized law firm that complained that he often failed to cash his law firm paychecks. Eventually he left the practice of law to take over his father's business. Enjoy life !
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Wait you just started school?

First off, just about everyone is initimidated when they first start out. So don't count yourself out. The common thing you'll hear on TLS is that the people who seem the brightest now (because the people you notice are the ones who talk the most) tend to shut up once grades come out.

More to the point, I've heard from some personal injury and other lawyers working at small firms that a big credential to have is doing moot court and clinics. Like some of the above posters have said, you want to be able to demonstrate that you can practice fairly quick, that you have a small learning curve.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 pm

It's just impossible to predict, man. But because I have 10 minutes to kill and I like lost causes:

The vast majority of TLS users are law students just like you and we don't know our elbow from our asshole when it comes to predicting someone's employment competency. All it takes is a little bit of luck, and a couple exemplary interviews to land a (I hate to say "real") non-shit law job. You never know who you're going to meet while networking/hustling over the next couple years who could help you land a job. I don't know much about shit law other than what I've read from that hilarious 'areyouinsane' poster, but I got the impression that shit law jobs are more about people skills, street-savinness, and a dollop of shiftiness, than grades.

Hell, I'm just guessing, but you'd think that (coarse assumption) because many of the successful "shit lawyers" likely weren't the most outstanding law students, they would realize that you--like their self--can still be a damn good lawyer despite not being great at 3-hour law exams, provided you work hard and are personable (and reasonably bright, but that's how you got into a top 100 law school in the first place).

Moral of the story: read the supps and take lots of practice exams before finals and watch those grades go up. They help more than having a pretty outline (especially if you have classes like property, con law, and Ks).

option #2: be a stay at home dad with a weekly allowance :shock:

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Is your s/o hot?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 pm

You're not a good writer and just want to make enough to have spending money? Drop out and become a school teacher. Shit.

Return to “Legal Employment”