post-offer at big law firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

post-offer at big law firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:28 pm

I just received a phone offer at a biglaw firm and was wondering what to expect next. Will the firm do a background check? Will HR contact my previous references before sending an official snailmail offer? Should I notify my references that they will be contacted?

Anonymous User

Re: post-offer at big law firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Every firm I had an offer at (ranging from V10-V40ish, I think), the offer letter was either emailed or snail mailed a few days after I got the offer via phone call. I don't think you need to "alert" your references because if you actually asked them to be references they would know that potential employers would be contacting them, and if the firm has already extended an offer they have probably already spoken with your references (if they do at all).

After I accepted at my V25 firm, the only communication we had (besides a holiday gift basket), was an email in maybe December alerting us that we would be getting HR things in the mail within the next couple of months and also giving us our possible summer start dates, weekly pay, and random information re: orientation. I believe our background checks took place in late February. We had to complete and turn in various paperwork by April, but by mid-March the communication really picked up; by then I was getting weekly housing-type emails from my firm. Most of my friends' firms were the same.

It's odd that all communication ceases after a month+ of constant emails, callbacks, lunches, etc. but it's normal (and you'll appreciate having your personal time back).

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:42 pm

I got a phone call with the good news, then an email with a scan of the offer letter later that day, then the original in the mail a couple of days later. No gift basket or bonsai tree. The offer letter discusses the compensation, insurance benefits, perks (bar dues, relocation/movers), background check process, etc. V5 firm. I have 30 days to sign and return. I can pick the start date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 pm

gift basket? :shock: i'm guessing that was pre-ITE...

regarding the references/background checks, i'm actually surprised at the lack of vetting before i received my offers. i had to jump through way more hoops to be a paralegal in biglaw than to receive a SA offer (for the paralegal job, they actually asked for/contacted references, & i had to fill out a questionnaire with lots of background-check-type questions right before my interview). i think it's a little shady they don't do background checks before making the offer -- what if they offered someone & had to rescind after acceptance if they dug up something in that person's past? granted, we all have to go through some level of vetting before we're even accepted into law school, but i still find it weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:gift basket? :shock: i'm guessing that was pre-ITE...

regarding the references/background checks, i'm actually surprised at the lack of vetting before i received my offers. i had to jump through way more hoops to be a paralegal in biglaw than to receive a SA offer (for the paralegal job, they actually asked for/contacted references, & i had to fill out a questionnaire with lots of background-check-type questions right before my interview). i think it's a little shady they don't do background checks before making the offer -- what if they offered someone & had to rescind after acceptance if they dug up something in that person's past? granted, we all have to go through some level of vetting before we're even accepted into law school, but i still find it weird.

I got a gift basket two days ago from a v15 firm that offered me for a 2L SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I got a gift basket two days ago from a v15 firm that offered me for a 2L SA.

if that's the same firm as my v15 i will be mad! i'm the anon who was surprised at the other poster's gift basket btw.

eta: did they do it after you got another offer & informed them? mine was my #1 choice and i accepted right away, didn't even bother informing them of other offers.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if that's the same firm as my v15 i will be mad!

This is where one might consider taking a step back and considering one's priorities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:29 am

Does this not simply encourage students who think they may have issues to accept more than one offer? (large firm in NYC, small firm in local market as a backup?). Yeah, it's unethical to break your word. I'd also argue it's equally unethical to not do background checks until it's too late for anyone to accept another offer. You're basically asking for students to accept multiple offers. Who would give a sh$t about NALP guidelines when the stakes are that high?

Basically, what law schools tell us is that large law firms are allowed to do things just because they can, but little worthless law students with significantly less bargaining power should just bend over and play by rules that are clearly stacked against them. Yeah, don't be stupid. You DO have less bargaining power. Face reality. But if you can do something that is in your best interest, like accepting multiple offers, without consequences (small firm, large firm, different markets), do it. Law firms only care about themselves. You, as a player in this world, ought to be the same way if you want to survive the sharks.

Return to “Legal Employment”