Law firms outside of big cities?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law firms outside of big cities?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello,

I am going to be joining a V20 law firm next year after graduation, and will be doing corporate work (PE, securities, etc.). I don't want to live in NYC (or probably any big city) forever. Can I lateral to a smaller firm in a smaller city with this kind of background? What kind of work could I do? I want to be on a coast (probably the east coast), and not living in a city with such insane CoL. Anybody know anything about this?

englawyer

Re: Law firms outside of big cities?

Postby englawyer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm

there are some firms/offices in the north carolina research area. Great CoL, near a coast, and not major cities. But I've heard its pretty hard to "break in" there as there isn't that much work.

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Perhaps a non-legal business/banking jobs would be a lateral move? Lots of transactional people appear to want to do that down the line, and those jobs must exist to some extent in some midsized cities, no?

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Relevant to my interests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Are you originally from a secondary market? Did you go to undergrad in one? While researching secondary market firms, I noticed that there were a lot of attorneys who went to undergrad in the secondary market, went off to a T-14, spent a few years at a Vault range firm in a big city, and then came back home.

Anecdotal evidence, I admit, but ties are crucially important in smaller cities.

DelDad

Postby DelDad » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Plug for Wilmington, DE. *Great* corporate work, as well as excellent bankruptcy and IP practices. Low cost of living (for those living in Wilmington or its suburbs; some associates choose to live in Philly and commute), but the bigger local firms pay $145k to start (Richards Layton & Finger, Morris Nichols, Young Conaway, etc), while Skadden, Fish & Richardson, and some of the boutiques start at $160. Very close to Philly, and a reasonable drive to NYC, Baltimore and DC. Let me know if you want more info.

People come to Delaware from NYC all the time; several people who prviously clerked for the judge I clerked for went to places like Weil, Skadden (NYC), etc for a few years and then lateraled to Delaware firms for lifestyle reasons.

Ties to the area, or at least the ability project the idea that you will be around for a while, are important, but if you are going to be at a V20, I guarantee you there is some alum of your firm who has made their way to Delaware and reaching out to that person could be a way in.

Return to “Legal Employment”