One way flights for Callbacks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

One way flights for Callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:23 pm

I have separate callbacks in the same city on Friday and Monday. I'd like to avoid travelling twice, and I have friends in the city. Can I:

- ask firm (a) to pay for the flight out on Friday morning
- interview with firm (a) on Friday afternoon
- ask firm (a) pay for Friday night in a hotel
- stay with friends Saturday night
- ask firm (b) to pay for Sunday night in a hotel
- interview with firm (b) on Monday afternoon
- ask firm (b) to pay for the the flight home on Monday night

Does that work? Or is that highly unusual/weird?

PeanutHead

Re: One way flights for Callbacks?

Postby PeanutHead » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:59 pm

For all my out of town callbacks it seemed like they gave you the option of either splitting travel expenses with another firm but getting 1 night in a hotel or all the travel expenses paid but no hotel (ostensibly because you are coming and going on same day)

Just email recruiting though. They'll tell you their policy

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have separate callbacks in the same city on Friday and Monday. I'd like to avoid travelling twice, and I have friends in the city. Can I:

- ask firm (a) to pay for the flight out on Friday morning
- interview with firm (a) on Friday afternoon
- ask firm (a) pay for Friday night in a hotel
- stay with friends Saturday night
- ask firm (b) to pay for Sunday night in a hotel
- interview with firm (b) on Monday afternoon
- ask firm (b) to pay for the the flight home on Monday night

Does that work? Or is that highly unusual/weird?

I think that will work. As long as it is just one night in a hotel per firm, you should be fine. One firm will act as your "host," so when you make your travel arrangements it will be through a single agency. Explain to the travel agent that you need one night on Friday and one night on Sunday. Unless this causes an astronomical jump in price (unlikely), I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really concerned, you can always call the recruiting coordinator at your host firm and ask.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:07 pm

It depends on how far you are travelling. If you are going NY to DC (or something equivalent), then the firms may not pay for a hotel and instead have you take the round-trip shuttle the same day (though many would still give you the hotel as an option). If you are going further (like California to New York), then you can definitely get a hotel room, and just need to tell the travel agency for each firm that you just need a one-way ticket. I don't think you should bother using a host firm in this scenario, since it's probably easier to just deal with each firm's agency and get one-way tickets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Sup Kid wrote:It depends on how far you are travelling. If you are going NY to DC (or something equivalent), then the firms may not pay for a hotel and instead have you take the round-trip shuttle the same day (though many would still give you the hotel as an option). If you are going further (like California to New York), then you can definitely get a hotel room, and just need to tell the travel agency for each firm that you just need a one-way ticket. I don't think you should bother using a host firm in this scenario, since it's probably easier to just deal with each firm's agency and get one-way tickets.

This is credited. Both wanted me to shuttle in and out on the same day. I think I'm just going to get one way tickets for each and stay with friends the whole weekend. Certainly not ideal but oh well. I should have just scheduled them Monday/Tuesday. Thanks all.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Why one-way tickets? Isn't it cheaper for everyone to buy a regular ticket? (Yes.)

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:31 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Why one-way tickets? Isn't it cheaper for everyone to buy a regular ticket? (Yes.)

It sounds as though OP is doing a "shuttle" trip (so DC-NY-Boston-etc), where an individual leg is just 1/2 of the round-trip price (since the shuttles are for business travelers who book 1-ways all the time). If that's the case, OP isn't costing the firms any extra money by having each firm pay for 1/2 of the trip (and is in fact saving them money by not traveling back and forth twice).

Return to “Legal Employment”