When to turn down an offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

When to turn down an offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:21 pm

When should I turn down an offer? After receiving a better offer, or after formally accepting the better offer?

Currently I have an offer from firm A, have done a CB with firm B last week, and have a CB scheduled next week with firm C. My personal preferance is B = C > A. So if I receive an offer from B this week, is it safe to turn down A before accepting B (I still want to compare B and C)?

I kind of feel guilty if I drag A for 4 weeks before turning it down.

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: When to turn down an offer?

Postby kahechsof » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:24 pm

After receiving an offer you know you will accept over this one.
That is, after you know you will be turning it down.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When to turn down an offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:56 pm

kahechsof wrote:After receiving an offer you know you will accept over this one.
That is, after you know you will be turning it down.


I would go even further and formally accept/receive the written confirmation of acceptance before turning down all your other offers. They'll have to wait 2-3 days more at most, but compared to the 45 days some students from prior years used to make them wait it's really not that bad...

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: When to turn down an offer?

Postby kahechsof » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kahechsof wrote:After receiving an offer you know you will accept over this one.
That is, after you know you will be turning it down.


I would go even further and formally accept/receive the written confirmation of acceptance before turning down all your other offers. They'll have to wait 2-3 days more at most, but compared to the 45 days some students from prior years used to make them wait it's really not that bad...


Yes, make sure you have the letter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: When to turn down an offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:02 pm

kahechsof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kahechsof wrote:After receiving an offer you know you will accept over this one.
That is, after you know you will be turning it down.


I would go even further and formally accept/receive the written confirmation of acceptance before turning down all your other offers. They'll have to wait 2-3 days more at most, but compared to the 45 days some students from prior years used to make them wait it's really not that bad...


Yes, make sure you have the letter.


How important is this? I think it will not be feasible in my situation because all my other offers will expire within days of when I accept. Should I be worried? Has anyone accepted an offer and then have the firm retract later??




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.