On Plan Clerkships 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, for all of those whom struck out as 3Ls -- it's a whole different ballgame when you're applying as an alum. Though I have a question: My grades (top 20% or so) are pretty clearly waaay too low for a COA clerkship if I applied out of law school. Does that change at all applying as an alum out of a DC clerkship?

I am basically your twin and I got multiple COA interviews this year and landed my top choice @ a 2/7/9COA. I've known others who have done the same.

I'm not the anon from above, but can you elaborate? Are you saying you are top 20% (at what band of school?) and struck out last year but as an alum landed your top choice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:26 pm

NDNY on-plan(ish*) Judge just yesterday made an offer which was accepted T1 top-10% lr

*accepted apps on plan, but called and interviewed ahead of schedule)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:30 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I'll out myself now and no longer remain anonymous. 4 interviews (2 COAs and 2 Districts), and no offers. I think at the end of the day, it came down to my transcript....which admittedly isn't as strong as the competition's. I will retry as an alum. Congrats to everyone who got one!!!

Also Berkeley Law. D.Ct. and COA landed. Went with COA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, for all of those whom struck out as 3Ls -- it's a whole different ballgame when you're applying as an alum. Though I have a question: My grades (top 20% or so) are pretty clearly waaay too low for a COA clerkship if I applied out of law school. Does that change at all applying as an alum out of a DC clerkship?

I am basically your twin and I got multiple COA interviews this year and landed my top choice @ a 2/7/9COA. I've known others who have done the same.

I'm not the anon from above, but can you elaborate? Are you saying you are top 20% (at what band of school?) and struck out last year but as an alum landed your top choice?

That's exactly what I am saying. I didn't do a D.Ct. clerkship, but I am top 20% CCN, with a year of w/e and landed COA without anybody going to bat for me. I've also talked to a bunch of former clerks at my firm and those that did two clerkships found it much easier to get the COA once they had the D.Ct clerkship. Most of these are people who did this ITE.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:I'll out myself now and no longer remain anonymous. 4 interviews (2 COAs and 2 Districts), and no offers. I think at the end of the day, it came down to my transcript....which admittedly isn't as strong as the competition's. I will retry as an alum. Congrats to everyone who got one!!!

Congrats!!! What circuit? I'm glad to see some fellow Boalties gettin' some federal love. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:00 am

For the Boalties: what do you think it took to get a clerkship this year? Was CLR a dealbreaker? What kinds of grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:02 am

Boaltie here, non CLR with multiple COA/D.Ct. interviews + offers.

Lack of CLR, for me, was obviously irrelevant. Judges know the lack of connection between CLR and grades because they see a lot of Boalt resumes year after year, and they've figure it out by now. Wasn't even mentioned. One clerk who is my friend, and whose judge I never interviewed with, did mention seeing a resume with mostly Ps and a few Hs + CLR. Went straight to trash. He's N.D.Cal. If he didn't read top 25% or top 10%, the resume went straight to trash even if you were on CLR's exec board.

Perhaps CLR is a tie-breaker between two identical top 10% students or top 25% students. Not sure. It seems highly impotent for both jobs and clerkships in and of itself based on my "detached observations" as a Berkeley 3L.

OTOH, the above Boalt poster (Izzie Gal) claims 4 clerkship interviews despite non-elite grades. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Frankly, the CLR/grade thing is way overplayed. The biggest factor is personal connections. If you had John Yoo place calls to a conservative judge, I'm sure CLR or grades matter a whole lot less. Same with other high-profile Boalt faculty.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:12 am

IzziesGal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats!!! What circuit? I'm glad to see some fellow Boalties gettin' some federal love. :D

Would rather not say because there's only like a dozen of us who land COAs out of Boalt anyway. I think about 40-50 of us land clerkships period, unless that PDF file on CDO is non-exhaustive. Sample size way too small.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:24 am

Glad to see so many Boalties chiming in! 2L here with a question for those who just went through the process:

How does the school deal with those who want to apply early/off-plan? I know at least one Boalt student got their CoA clerkship this way, but wasn't sure how many others go about it like that. Assuming one has the right credentials grade-wise, does the school lend a helping hand at all or is it the sort of thing a student has to do it quietly because it's against the "rules" of the Plan? My concern is that so many judges are hiring this way now and it would be unwise to at least not give it a shot.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
chipchip wrote:I know at least 10 GULCers with circuit clerkships, and there may be more.

There are more (almost positive you don't know me), but I think the number's like 15 or so. So said OCS.

Even better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:NDNY on-plan(ish*) Judge just yesterday made an offer which was accepted T1 top-10% lr

Can you give any more info???? I had an NDNY interview about 3 weeks ago with a Senior judge in Albany, and still have heard nothing....very anxious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 am

3L clerkship applicant here. I applied very broadly to district courts (major coastal cities, mostly), and while I landed a handful of interviews, I've already been dinged twice, and I do not expect to land anything I'd really want this cycle. Current game plan is to accept offer at NYC firm and apply for 2013 clerkships. Does anybody have experience with this? I know some judges review both student and alum applications at the same time, but others will review applications earlier than Plan guidelines. How does one go about doing this? Should I apply later this year while still a student (perhaps in later winter or early spring), highlighting the fact that I'll have a year of experience under my belt by the time I start the clerkship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Glad to see so many Boalties chiming in! 2L here with a question for those who just went through the process:

How does the school deal with those who want to apply early/off-plan? I know at least one Boalt student got their CoA clerkship this way, but wasn't sure how many others go about it like that. Assuming one has the right credentials grade-wise, does the school lend a helping hand at all or is it the sort of thing a student has to do it quietly because it's against the "rules" of the Plan? My concern is that so many judges are hiring this way now and it would be unwise to at least not give it a shot.

I'm a 3L now, transfer student at Boalt, w/ COA. Although I made some great connections, I felt a sense of impropriety in approaching my faculty recommenders at Boalt asking for off-plan recs. I would tell myself stuff like, "Well, they only know me for 6 months now." Or, "Well, I'm at a firm doing this SA, I should just focus on this." After coming out of this whole process, I think I was being overly cautious or plain lazy. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself lazy because I really wanted to clerk. Not sure. Maybe I was being paranoid that if they said "No" - that their eventual "on plan" recs would be tainted with this bad memory. Ugh. Stupid thoughts.

The faculty aren't really that involved or frankly, invested, in your recs. They write a lot more recs than you think they do, not just from rising 3Ls - but for alums too. They'll write something up in a standard word file and furiously type away for like 5-6 minutes, thinking about you. Then that'll be it, unless you ask them to call a couple judges on the day after labor day. Their involvement is that segmented. So my guess is that they don't care when they spend those 5-6 minutes typing. Just like judges, maybe off-plan is the best time to ask them for recs.

For any off-plan/post-plan stuff, you'll need to work with the FSUs for each professor. It's FSUs/FSUs/FSUs all the way. I was just too shy to ask because it seemed "illegal" - but please don't do what I did. Ask. The worst-case scenario is they'll say not right now - but I'm trying to figure out why they would do that. I didn't ask Eric about off-plan either. I can't get a read on Eric, maybe he'll be responsive to that. He gets so flooded with emails, is the sense I got - that if you ask him something that he has already emailed in a memo etc., he will get frustrated. So I just got shy there too. Don't be shy. Not good for your career. Clerkship is more about the hands you shake than the grades you make.

Not sure if my post is helpful to you. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NDNY on-plan(ish*) Judge just yesterday made an offer which was accepted T1 top-10% lr

Can you give any more info???? I had an NDNY interview about 3 weeks ago with a Senior judge in Albany, and still have heard nothing....very anxious

bump?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump?

It was that one. Sorry!

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:53 pm

To the Boalt guy, if you get recommenders who spend 5 minutes on your recs/only call a couple judges, you're picking the wrong recommenders.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:50 pm

How difficult are clerkships in the Pacific Northwest or the Southwest for someone with zero ties? I'd just like to spend a year or two somewhere interesting before moving to work in a big city for the foreseeable future, but that reason sounds flaky to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:57 pm

I had no ties to SoCal and ended up with a clerkship in CDCA. Reasoning was pretty much, hey why not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had no ties to SoCal and ended up with a clerkship in CDCA. Reasoning was pretty much, hey why not?

oh congrats. CDCA is supposed to be very competitive, I've heard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump?

It was that one. Sorry!

Shoot! Thanks for the info. I know they had two spots, so maybe that haven't filled both (although im sure that is quite unlikely lol)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Sorry if out of place, but I'm starting to seriously consider taking the clerkship route if possible.

Could anyone give me a good idea what my chances would be for a federal or state level clerkship going to a mid level T2, top 10%, LR, prof. RA?

Possible or delusional? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:13 pm

<--- Extremely jealous of person with no ties to SoCal who got CDCA clerkship. I also have no ties, but I wanted a clerkship there badly for personal reasons. Had two interviews but struck out...may just have to try again next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:42 pm

traydeuce wrote:To the Boalt guy, if you get recommenders who spend 5 minutes on your recs/only call a couple judges, you're picking the wrong recommenders.

Landed CoA and D Ct in very selective circuit / district. Turned down interview offer in the 10th circuit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:<--- Extremely jealous of person with no ties to SoCal who got CDCA clerkship. I also have no ties, but I wanted a clerkship there badly for personal reasons. Had two interviews but struck out...may just have to try again next year.

I'm the one with the CDCA. I think I got lucky. I mean, I told the judge I have close friends who will be in LA next year and that I would like to live on the west coast at some point, just for a change. But to be honest, I don't think the ties mattered the moment my application was pulled; it's not like I had anything that said California on my resume, so there was something there anyway that the judge liked. But the other clerk is from CA and the current ones are from CA too. So who knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:40 am

Thanks to the Boalties for their great information and advice!
Beyond grades - do you think your successes were in any way tied to geography? Did you apply broadly or did you target certain areas? Also, who did you seek out for recommendations (1L profs? 2L profs?)?

Return to “Legal Employment”