On Plan Clerkships 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anongoodnurse

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby anongoodnurse » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:17 am

A district judge with whom I interviewed last week said that he'd be making a decision this week and would likely make calls today. Does anybody know whether judges typically make such calls first thing in the morning or is it pretty random?

Probably not first thing in the morning -- if he already knew when he got to work, he would have called the night before. But potentially any time after thay, with mid afternoon being the most probable. You can also check his calendar if it's online to see when he's in court and definitely won't be calling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:40 am

I'm the poster somewhere above who asked if it was possible that I'm in a "hold" pile -- wanted to reiterate the question. I know that ding letters are on the bottom of a judge's to-do list, but it's been nearly a week now and I still have not heard either way. (I'm checking the mail quite compulsively.) Judge said s/he would make a decision "soon" -- and having interviewed on Thursday, I think s/he said "tomorrow" (meaning last Friday). Now I'm not so sure, but it would be nice to have some closure to this process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:58 am

Anyone know who Chief Judge Young (S.D. Ind.) hired? He just went "filled" on oscar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know who Chief Judge Young (S.D. Ind.) hired? He just went "filled" on oscar.

Also curious about this....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know who Chief Judge Young (S.D. Ind.) hired? He just went "filled" on oscar.

Have you gotten anything yet? Call? Email? Letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone know who Chief Judge Young (S.D. Ind.) hired? He just went "filled" on oscar.

Have you gotten anything yet? Call? Email? Letter?

Nothing! Though I didn't expect to, despite really enjoying my interview, since I'm not from Indiana and everyone in his chambers seemed to be. Still disappointed though--I really liked them!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I called a COA judge's chambers yesterday to check to see if the judge had made a hiring decision yet (judge had said during interview he would likely decide by Tuesday), but the secretary informed me he had not, but that he likely would by the end of the week. Secretary asked for my name first, and I gave it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but any chance that'll hurt me at all? Don't want to come off as over-eager or obnoxious...

treant985

Postby treant985 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called a COA judge's chambers yesterday to check to see if the judge had made a hiring decision yet (judge had said during interview he would likely decide by Tuesday), but the secretary informed me he had not, but that he likely would by the end of the week. Secretary asked for my name first, and I gave it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but any chance that'll hurt me at all? Don't want to come off as over-eager or obnoxious...

Just depends on the secretary and judge. The secretary might not even tell the judge that you called. Or he/she might go complain to the judge about someone who can't wait. Or he/she might go tell the judge you're really eager. But from what I've seen, it's usually best not to contact chambers unless it's gone way beyond the deadline they told you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:29 am

I hate this process :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 am

More news, people! Surely there must be a good amount of clerkship offers floating around on this board...

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:23 pm

^^ Oh, sure. I got two COA offers (10th, 8th), took the one I liked better. I don't quite get why we're supposed to be quiet about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:02 pm

SDNY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:34 pm

WAW aka WDWA

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:37 pm

What's a WAW? (Or who's a WAW - the possibility of Wallace "Wally" A. Washima occurred to me but sadly that's not quite how his name is really spelled.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:30 pm

WAW is WDWA which is Western Dist. of Washington (Seattle). \\

While many people just abbreviate the districts, the government designates district first by using a two state abbreviation, followed by the district. IE, West. D. Washington = WAW; SDNY = NYSD, etc.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Oh well that sounds fun. I thought the person had said WAW from WDWA so I thought WAW was some kind of higher step up from wdwa that I'd never heard of.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Received and accepted ED Pa. offer last Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 pm

second circuit clerkship accepted (senior status judge)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 pm

How are clerkships with senior judges viewed in comparison to active judges? I know some seniors do next to nothing, but assuming you work for one who maintains a full or close to full case load, how is it viewed.

I ask because I'm looking to apply for a second clerkship next year (have D.Ct. in hand) and am wondering if trying to get a senior judge is (a) worth it and (b) easier to do.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:How are clerkships with senior judges viewed in comparison to active judges? I know some seniors do next to nothing, but assuming you work for one who maintains a full or close to full case load, how is it viewed.

I ask because I'm looking to apply for a second clerkship next year (have D.Ct. in hand) and am wondering if trying to get a senior judge is (a) worth it and (b) easier to do.

A lot of them have fewer clerks (all of them?) so it works out to the same number of cases per clerk. That's frequently how it is. And with some seniors, they start loaning you out all over the place. Another thing about seniors is that, while they may hear fewer cases in their home circuit, they go out and sit on other circuits all the time. Often in pleasant, temperate locales; seniors tend to hoard to the Ninth. Look and see where seniors you're looking at have recently sat. It can be, in some ways, a better experience when you can say that you've worked in two or three different circuits.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:15 am

Sixth Circuit. Super-stoked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sixth Circuit. Super-stoked.

I hope it's not with my judicial crush, Danny Boggs. I had my recommenders call him and he didn't even send me his quiz! If with Clay, however, good luck... Rogers seemed like a prick in my interview but I understand he's a nice guy once you get to know him. Cole is... interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I hope it's not with my judicial crush, Danny Boggs. I had my recommenders call him and he didn't even send me his quiz! If with Clay, however, good luck... Rogers seemed like a prick in my interview but I understand he's a nice guy once you get to know him. Cole is... interesting.

No need to worry -- it wasn't with any of these judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No need to worry -- it wasn't with any of these judges.

Well... then it's with Siler (a very nice old man but an incompetent disengaged judge with lousy clerks who hates anyone convicted of anything), Batchelder (blah), Cook (not as blah), Moore (very bright, obviously, but extremely doctrinaire to the point of disingenuous record-combing in capital cases and analytic incoherence whenever the rights of a criminal defendant are involved), Suhrheinrich (kind of a joke), Griffin (to paraphrase Fleetwood Mac, will the next GOP President ever break the chain of extraordinarily unremarkable conservative nominees to the 6th Circuit, Sutton, Rogers, Boggs, Kethledge and McKeague notwithstanding???) Daughtrey (liberal, sweet, not so smart, recently began an opinion in a death case by citing polling data on the death penalty, only to go in the next sentence, "but that's not what this case is about - just a technical issue which I will decide with no regard for what I just said in previous sentence about polling data!"), Gilman (very capable), Merritt (brilliant once, now in decline, though hardly tapped out), and... I think all the rest were done hiring long ago, except for Stranch (okay? maybe?). The 6th is a lot of fun though. If you're really lucky, you'll be around when the Michigan affirmative action en banc is still going on.

Return to “Legal Employment”