On Plan Clerkships 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know that uncurved is a good thing. Inevitably I'll write one of the best exams in a class, even if it's not actually a good exam, but if everything's an uncurved essay-war, I could easily drop an A- somewhere. I do have some room to drop off, being in the very top of the class, but I just have a ton of potentially difficult seminars and classes going on.

Huh? I don't understand that logic. Are you saying in an uncurved class, because the professor isn't compelled to give X amount of As, he will give you an A- even though your exam is head-and-shoulders better than the exam of the student he gave an A? I would assume based on the grading that if you got an A- your exam was not as good as the person's who got an A.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat relatedly, if we're tying to go D.Ct->CoA or CoA to another CoA, when does the application cycle generally happen? Spring? Over the summer? Now?

I think GTL may have answered this in his answering questions thread. IIRC, he said that some secure both during 2L (eg: if the second judge is hiring two years out) and others get one during 2L (either the first or second) and pursue the second (possibly first in time) as a 3L/alum (possibly with the help of the judge with whom you already secured a clerkship).

He can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:00 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I guess it was a mix ofcockiness and self-criticism.

Seriously. This attitude is not going to help you at all in interviews. Arrogance is the #1 thing interviewers want to avoid in the clerks they hire.

cr, super smart people are a dime a dozen at this level; much rarer are the ones you'd like to work with

hint to the cocky guy: law isn't that hard, really

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Well, my arrogant spiel about how I wish my professors would give me more criticism on my A papers didn't cost me an offer, apparently; COA judge to whom I gave that answer called me half an hour ago, said I was his first offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I guess it was a mix ofcockiness and self-criticism.

Seriously. This attitude is not going to help you at all in interviews. Arrogance is the #1 thing interviewers want to avoid in the clerks they hire.

cr, super smart people are a dime a dozen at this level; much rarer are the ones you'd like to work with

hint to the cocky guy: law isn't that hard, really

And no, law isn't that hard at all. That's why I'm a lawyer (or maybe a future law professor) and not a legitimate academic, which is what I would probably prefer to be if I had the talent to be one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Is it weird that I haven't heard from any of my judges yet? I had three interviews (COA) on Thursday and Friday. Obviously I'm not anyone's top choice or I'd have an offer, but don't rejections generally come pretty quickly too? All of my friends heard either good or bad news within 36 hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:23 pm

I haven't heard from two CoA judges. Although offers are given by phone, I suspect rejections come via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it weird that I haven't heard from any of my judges yet? I had three interviews (COA) on Thursday and Friday. Obviously I'm not anyone's top choice or I'd have an offer, but don't rejections generally come pretty quickly too? All of my friends heard either good or bad news within 36 hours.

judges are pretty busy, not all of them really hammer through the applicants they way you might think. if they make an offer and then find out that person already signed up with a different judge, it can totally take another day or two before they make another move.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Rejections are typically mailed, sometimes e-mailed. It's a pretty bad sign if you haven't heard from anyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It was after the judge finished two days of interviews (Thurs/Fri). It's in Orange County. Would rather not give a specific judge until I can speak with the judge and finalize everything.

Was this Judge Selna?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:38 pm

By the way, I have an offer (COA) that explodes at COB Tuesday, and some interviews on Monday and Tuesday. Leaving the Monday interview and how I feel about that judge vis-a-vis the offering judge aside, and assuming, arguendo, that I prefer the Tuesday judge to the offering judge, is there really any chance that the Tuesday interviewer will give me an offer on the spot when he's chosen to drag his interviews out to Tuesday, and when he professes to interview as late as September 30? And when lawclerkaddict suggests he has a history of taking nearly that long to make hires? If not, I don't see the point of seeing that judge. But if there is any chance, I suppose I should go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Would it be worth it to move halfway across the country to clerk for a magistrate judge? I feel like it would be, but don't want the firm I'm going to work for to wonder what the hell is wrong with me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 pm

I would not clerk in that instance. I would go work at the firm and then try to clerk the next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I had an interview with a dist ct judge on the 9th. I have heard nothing so far and I have no idea how long they typically take. I'm almost positive interviews are done with as of now, and I know offers are only made after intvws are over. Since it has been over a week, I am starting to freak out that I was rejected....should I be worried???

I just hate the whole "they could call at any minute" feeling of every weekday...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It was after the judge finished two days of interviews (Thurs/Fri). It's in Orange County. Would rather not give a specific judge until I can speak with the judge and finalize everything.

Was this Judge Selna?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Was told I'd hear back today. Meaning I'm not getting anything productive done until that call comes in either way. Though if it's a yes, I probably won't get anything productive done the rest of the day either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 pm

My offer came 17 days after the interview, BUT at the interview the judge indicated that he wouldn't be making any decisions for a couple of weeks due to a variety of scheduling issues. The call came in the early afternoon on the Monday of the week he said that I'd hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:23 pm

With a COA offer in my pocket, I saw first choice today (first choice didn't contact me until last Monday, at which point his Thursday was booked). I liked first choice, first choice liked me, I told first choice the COA offer explodes at the end of tomorrow. He said he would try to accelerate his interviews for me, but wouldn't make hires until he was done talking to the people he scheduled. I like first choice about 8 times more than the COA offering judge. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:25 pm

You know what they say about a bird in the hand and all that. Any idea how many people first choice COA judge was interviewing? If the answer is more than handful, I would go with the sure thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You know what they say about a bird in the hand and all that. Any idea how many people first choice COA judge was interviewing? If the answer is more than handful, I would go with the sure thing.

Not a COA judge, in fact. D.D.C. I would, however, take a good D.D.C judge over a good judge on a super-regional circuit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You know what they say about a bird in the hand and all that. Any idea how many people first choice COA judge was interviewing? If the answer is more than handful, I would go with the sure thing.

Not a COA judge, in fact. D.D.C. I would, however, take a good D.D.C judge over a good judge on a super-regional circuit.

Take the DDC, and then apply for COA for following year with the DDC experience in your back pocket. (sounds like you want COA anyway, and this approach seems to be the new norm). You'll likely do better as an alum and won't have to deal with the Hiring Plan in most cases (other than a few of the top feeders who seem to cling to the Plan)- but you'll be an alum and can apply ahead of all the rising 3Ls anyway. Plus the DDC judge will likely have contacts with COA judges in DC and the connection could be crucial to landing the DC COA job of your dreams the following year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Entirely correct advice - if I had the DDC offer. But like I said 3 posts up, all DDC said is that he would attempt to accelerate his long interview schedule for me. That means he takes me somewhat seriously, maybe quite seriously. But it doesn't mean a definite offer. After all, the whole point of his doing the interviews and not just canceling them and hiring me is to see if he likes others better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Entirely correct advice - if I had the DDC offer. But like I said 3 posts up, all DDC said is that he would attempt to accelerate his long interview schedule for me. That means he takes me somewhat seriously, maybe quite seriously. But it doesn't mean a definite offer. After all, the whole point of his doing the interviews and not just canceling them and hiring me is to see if he likes others better.

Yes, what you said at the end there. It sucks, but, if he's not going to jump on you, then you've got to watch out for yourself. The process blows, and this is why. But you need to take the offer in hand at the deadline and just let the DDC go.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Seemingly ignorant question here. I have been under the impression that you just never say no to a judge. Hence, all of this talk about holding offers open confuses me. What am I missing?

Return to “Legal Employment”