On Plan Clerkships 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I'm just looking for some hope to cling on to. I have one COA interview, but I am not a particularly good interviewer -- I can be hit or miss. If I had the stats for a COA interview (received out of the blue, no connections, etc.), I guess I was hoping for a district court interview somewhere.

The other frustrating thing is that my recommenders have been making calls since the summer to judges that they know, but none of those connections came through in the end. I guess it's the hyper-competitive nature of the process, and I know numerous applicants have multiple recommenders calling for them, but it doesn't alleviate the frustration re: the process.

Anyways, no point in thinking about this any longer. Guess I should just focus on knocking this interview out of the park next week.


Research the guy, a lot. Happily my first interview is with an ex-prof, so I have a huge paper trail of articles to look at. Plus the textbook he wrote that I used in a 1L class, and all the opinions. I just hope he doesn't say, "so, what's your least favorite recently decided case," because that just so happens to be something he wrote that I was quite furious over. I guess I'll find something else to dislike. Maybe Breyer perpetuating the Asahi split in Nicastro. That's a pretty safe topic.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby traydeuce » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Some people do fellowships, apparently. I have no idea what that means, but it happens. A lot of judges like to see a year of something after school. Emmett Sullivan, for example.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:07 pm

traydeuce wrote:Some people do fellowships, apparently. I have no idea what that means, but it happens. A lot of judges like to see a year of something after school. Emmett Sullivan, for example.

Fellowships? Interesting.

My concern is that applying to clerk for the year after graduation both makes it hard to get a LOR from a practitioner (bit awkward to ask somebody at the firm after 8 months or whatever).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm

This is definitely a frustrating and somewhat humbling experience. I'm top 1% at my T20 school, LR, at least two outstanding recs and one good one. Applied to 150ish judges total, got all of one D. Ct. interview. I'm glad I got that, but I have to admit I was expecting more. Probably doesn't help that none of my recommenders had judicial connections... I didn't realize what a big role phone calls can play in this process.

Ah well. C'est la vie.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby traydeuce » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
traydeuce wrote:Some people do fellowships, apparently. I have no idea what that means, but it happens. A lot of judges like to see a year of something after school. Emmett Sullivan, for example.

Fellowships? Interesting.

My concern is that applying to clerk for the year after graduation both makes it hard to get a LOR from a practitioner (bit awkward to ask somebody at the firm after 8 months or whatever).


Yeah, that's... possibly the case, although the firm wants you to get that experience, I would think. Though a lot of firms aren't crazy about you coming in for a gap year. There's also just the possibility that you might encounter better recommenders as a 3L. Some seminars are hard to get into, and only 3Ls get them. So currently, I've got a fairly prestigious academic nominated to the 7th Cir. (but who isn't going anywhere), a pretty well known guy who Clinton would have placed on the D.C. Cir. if not for the GOP taking over the Senate in 1994, and a judge on the Court of Federal Claims. This is good, but I'm taking seminars with Bill Eskridge and Randy Barnett in the spring, and that - particularly Eskridge, I don't know that many judges are actually fond of Barnett, outside of Justice Thomas and perhaps Rogers Brown - is a lot better. I wish I was taking the seminar they offered with Paul Clement, but I'm just not into the subject matter. So, the thought's crossed my mind that doing a district for 2012 and attempting to cash out in 2013 may not be an awful idea. Ultimately though, I only have 1 district interview at the moment, so that probably isn't happening.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby traydeuce » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is definitely a frustrating and somewhat humbling experience. I'm top 1% at my T20 school, LR, at least two outstanding recs and one good one. Applied to 150ish judges total, got all of one D. Ct. interview. I'm glad I got that, but I have to admit I was expecting more. Probably doesn't help that none of my recommenders had judicial connections... I didn't realize what a big role phone calls can play in this process.

Ah well. C'est la vie.


Everything I got on the COA level came with a call. And in some cases a very lengthy chat. Doesn't your school at least have a clerkship committee that makes calls for people whose recommenders aren't so connected? That's our set-up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:31 pm

traydeuce wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is definitely a frustrating and somewhat humbling experience. I'm top 1% at my T20 school, LR, at least two outstanding recs and one good one. Applied to 150ish judges total, got all of one D. Ct. interview. I'm glad I got that, but I have to admit I was expecting more. Probably doesn't help that none of my recommenders had judicial connections... I didn't realize what a big role phone calls can play in this process.

Ah well. C'est la vie.


Everything I got on the COA level came with a call. And in some cases a very lengthy chat. Doesn't your school at least have a clerkship committee that makes calls for people whose recommenders aren't so connected? That's our set-up.


We have a clerkship advisor, but I'm not aware of them making phone calls. To be fair, I was a slacker and didn't get my shit together re: clerkships until fairly recently, so I'm sure I missed out on numerous opportunities. I just thought I'd end up with more from these Plan applications.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby traydeuce » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We have a clerkship advisor, but I'm not aware of them making phone calls. To be fair, I was a slacker and didn't get my shit together re: clerkships until fairly recently, so I'm sure I missed out on numerous opportunities. I just thought I'd end up with more from these Plan applications.


I see. My life the past few weeks consisted of editing and re-editing my list of judges to call. And it kind of worked; I wisely picked a bunch of judges in circuits I had shots at, and/or judges who had hired here a decent amount, and now I have a good number of interviews.

Rararattlers
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Rararattlers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Anyone heard anything from the 11th, particularly Anderson, Hull, Wilson? Old LawClerkAddict comments suggested some of them (e.g., Hull) hire late. Is it worth waiting around on? I'm currently in a district court clerkship, and I need to let my judge know whether or not I'm staying for a second year... Right now I'm operating on the assumption that I'm taking that second year (which I'm happy with, though a COA would have been great, obviously).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Rararattlers wrote:Anyone heard anything from the 11th, particularly Anderson, Hull, Wilson? Old LawClerkAddict comments suggested some of them (e.g., Hull) hire late. Is it worth waiting around on? I'm currently in a district court clerkship, and I need to let my judge know whether or not I'm staying for a second year... Right now I'm operating on the assumption that I'm taking that second year (which I'm happy with, though a COA would have been great, obviously).


That's the one place that I've seen absolutely nothing about here, though maybe someone said something about Barkett. I'm interested in that, because I transferred from a southern school, went to school down south (although all within Fourth Circuit states, but there's some commonality there), and am a huge Marcus fan. I imagine Marcus has made calls, but I can see the ones you mentioned being behind. In your case, though, couldn't you have moved to apply off-plan?

Rararattlers
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Rararattlers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:58 pm

That's the one place that I've seen absolutely nothing about here, though maybe someone said something about Barkett. I'm interested in that, because I transferred from a southern school, went to school down south (although all within Fourth Circuit states, but there's some commonality there), and am a huge Marcus fan. I imagine Marcus has made calls, but I can see the ones you mentioned being behind. In your case, though, couldn't you have moved to apply off-plan?


I did apply off-plan (with the exception of Wilson, who I think wanted online apps only), but I know at least with Anderson he still goes by the OSCAR dateline, even with alumni. But I was still otherwise late (spring would have been better, obviously), but I knew I was going to apply to only a few anyway due to other practical limitations I face in my particular situation...

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby quiver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:07 pm

traydeuce wrote:and now I have a good number of interviews

And you were worried...

I'll (hopefully) be going through this process in a year; just wanted to say that you guys are all in an amazing position to even be applying for clerkships.

Good luck to all!

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby lolwat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 pm

To those still waiting, I offer this: a few people in my graduating class struck out as 3Ls, but landed great clerkships for the year after graduation.


This happened to me.

'cept I have no answer to the "what do they do for a year" question. Yet. :)

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:21 pm

lolwat wrote:
To those still waiting, I offer this: a few people in my graduating class struck out as 3Ls, but landed great clerkships for the year after graduation.


This happened to me.

'cept I have no answer to the "what do they do for a year" question. Yet. :)

Hmm.....I didn't know that's what GTL meant. Getting a clerkship for down the road isn't the sort of striking out I was wondering about, sadly.

pasteurizedmilk
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:01 pm

I didn't even know you could apply for clerkships as a 2L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:06 pm

anyone here get Fed. Cir. calls? Got a Reyna snail mail ding today.

traydeuce
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby traydeuce » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone here get Fed. Cir. calls? Got a Reyna snail mail ding today.


Someone got four up-thread. Monstrous.

an ll.m.
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby an ll.m. » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:44 am

Traydeuce - is SGB the recommender you mentioned?

Either way, congrats on the interviews.


As to the people who whiffed this time around, I'll throw this out - and it's been said already - but 1 year out, you can land VERY good spots. I went to a lower-level school (then got an LL.M.) and I'm now clerking, albeit in a district court. I'd also add that the Federal Circuit judges and several 3d Circuit (at least D.B. Smith and Hardiman) prefer people with experience. The extra year of - here comes the buzzword - networking really helps out. The judges knowing YOU is every bit as important, in my experience, as them knowing your recommenders.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby leobowski » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 am

1/5 so far. Not complaining.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:54 am

anyone hear from N.D. Ill./C.D. Ill./7th Cir. staff attorneys?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:44 am

an ll.m. wrote:Traydeuce - is SGB the recommender you mentioned?

Either way, congrats on the interviews.


As to the people who whiffed this time around, I'll throw this out - and it's been said already - but 1 year out, you can land VERY good spots. I went to a lower-level school (then got an LL.M.) and I'm now clerking, albeit in a district court. I'd also add that the Federal Circuit judges and several 3d Circuit (at least D.B. Smith and Hardiman) prefer people with experience. The extra year of - here comes the buzzword - networking really helps out. The judges knowing YOU is every bit as important, in my experience, as them knowing your recommenders.


No, not SGB. For a second I thought you meant Stephen G. Breyer. I was like, he doesn't teach at Georgetown...

As to D.B. Smith and Hardiman, that's interesting, because I'm a big fan of Smith and do have at least one district court interview in Philly lined up. (Hardiman is good, but less so, though I had a lot of people call him for strategic reasons and nothing all the same.) You can add Barry to that list, she flatly states it on OSCAR. I don't know that I distinctly prefer a Smith over the COA judges I have calls from, so it probably doesn't matter. Barry's a minor feeder, so... even so, at that point you're thinking about the 2% chance she'll hire you, of all the district clerks who apply to her, multiplied by the insanely low chance that you'll be the third person she sends to the Court. It's not really even worth thinking about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am

I received.....ZERO emails or calls. I applied to over 100 district judges and I knew it was a longshot but still, can't help but have a day of disappointment. I applied very broadly so I was hoping to hear from some real small towns but hey, what can you do? Onward...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:04 am

Well so much for EIC of flagship journal and top 10% grades. Bummer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:07 am

got three CAFC calls, four (total) district court calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273599
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Anyone hear from Droney yesterday?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.