On Plan Clerkships 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: On Plan Clerkships 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:58 pm

It seems like we are missing a lot of regions here. Maybe there is still hope for NJ, PA and DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems like we are missing a lot of regions here. Maybe there is still hope for NJ, PA and DC?

My clerkship counselor assures me that D.C. calls have happened. I got an EDPA call early on, though, as stated above, Schiller and Rodriguez's assistants told me that they hadn't made calls, and Joyner is apparently not even in chambers today (though whether that bears on call-making at all depends).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems like we are missing a lot of regions here. Maybe there is still hope for NJ, PA and DC?

My clerkship counselor assures me that D.C. calls have happened. I got an EDPA call early on, though, as stated above, Schiller and Rodriguez's assistants told me that they hadn't made calls, and Joyner is apparently not even in chambers today (though whether that bears on call-making at all depends).

I know DC circuit courts have called -- no idea about DC district courts. I papered Md/EDVA and DC, and haven't heard anything, but I had two DC circuit bites. So who knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know DC circuit courts have called -- no idea about DC district courts. I papered Md/EDVA and DC, and haven't heard anything, but I had two DC circuit bites. So who knows.

DDC made calls

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ah, I wish I had such bites. I had some pretty huge names call them, but to no avail. I have heard that DC District has happened too. I think it's also been mentioned in this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ah, I wish I had such bites. I had some pretty huge names call them, but to no avail. I have heard that DC District has happened too. I think it's also been mentioned in this thread.

I also had some big name professors call judges on my behalf - both over the summer and yesterday. I only received one interview request.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:10 pm

So if you have a COA interview, would it be worth it to try to parlay calls to District judges?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Anyone heard from W. Fletcher?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from W. Fletcher?

yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Anyone heard from 9th circuit judges Pregerson, Paez, or Gould?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:45 pm

I was ready to give up hope due to the info in this thread, but about an hour ago I got a call from Southern California! Couldn't be more thrilled! So there are definitely judges out there that didn't do all of their calling during the first hour. You never know - don't give up yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from 9th circuit judges Pregerson, Paez, or Gould?

yes gould

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if you have a COA interview, would it be worth it to try to parlay calls to District judges?

Yes, because your COA interview is not by any means a sure thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also had some big name professors call judges on my behalf - both over the summer and yesterday. I only received one interview request.

Big names aren't magic, unless the judge is buddied up with the big name in question. For many judges, the only people they hire are the people recommended to them by their academic friends. But otherwise, it's just another call. It can get you out of the pile, get you a look, but it doesn't land you an interview - although my 10th Cir. interview seems to have been the product of an extremely in-depth chat my recommender had with the judge, though neither knew the other.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Anyone heard from Kennelly in N.D. Ill.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:04 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:You guys should be making parlay calls right now if you are not already.

So I'm informed that I'm the first choice of one COA judge; should I call the very old senior judge who sits in that town (the only other COA judge who sits in that town) and see if he wants to interview me? Just in case?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:08 pm

What does one say when making parlay calls? How much detail do you usually give (judge's name?). Are most judges amenable to such calls? What is the etiquette if their instructions say not to call chambers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:09 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:You guys should be making parlay calls right now if you are not already.

Wish I had something to parlay :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does one say when making parlay calls? How much detail do you usually give (judge's name?). Are most judges amenable to such calls? What is the etiquette if their instructions say not to call chambers?

A third of my calls asked for the name. Sometimes I said it, though - or I said "another district judge in the courthouse," just to signal that I'm a viable candidate and not some guy going there to talk to a magistrate.

longhornnyc

Postby longhornnyc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:12 pm

GTL can we get a parlay primer, please?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:12 pm

How exactly do you word that, if the judges are local? I'd just tell them I'd be in town for another interview if it was a different city, but I'm local. "District Judge, Judge X on ABC Circuit gave me an interview. Does that change your mind?"

Speaking of, has anyone heard from Judges Brinkema or Lee on EDVA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Has anyone heard from the district of COA judges in Iowa?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 pm

longhornnyc wrote:GTL can we get a parlay primer, please?

This is what he wrote in another thread. Just repeat it word for word, it works.

If you want a rough script of what to say, here's what I said when I made my calls:

ME: Hello, I am [name] from [law school]. I will be in the courthouse next Friday for an interview with another judge [here you can say the name, or "another district judge," or "another circuit judge"] and wanted to let you know in case [judge so-and-so] had any interest in meeting [me] for an interview.

THEM: Oh, okay. What was your name again?

ME: [name]

THEM: Okay, thanks. I will let the judge know and we will get in touch with you if s/he wants you to stop by.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:16 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What does one say when making parlay calls? How much detail do you usually give (judge's name?). Are most judges amenable to such calls? What is the etiquette if their instructions say not to call chambers?

If you had read my questions thread you would have known the answers to all of those questions.

I heart GTL Rev. Although now it's chapstick, pushups, and fist pump, according to last nights Jersey Shore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:24 pm

any 3Ls hear from sdny judges?

Return to “Legal Employment”