Gibson NY v. Skadden NY v. Sidley NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gibson NY v. Skadden NY v. Sidley NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 pm

So I am making this choice and was hoping that I could get some input. How different would the exit options at Skadden be as compared to Gibson/Sidley?

I'm unsure of what practice I'd like to pursue so I'm looking for a firm that isn't going to force me to specialize to early or put me into a specific group before I know what I want. How would that factor in?

I know the reputation that Skadden has culture wise, does that hold true in reality?

How do the cultures at Gibson/Sidley compare?

Finally, does anyone have any first or second hand information about any of these firms that could be helpful?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson NY v. Skadden NY v. Sidley NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Bump. Anything that could be shared about any of these 3 firms would be helpful.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Exit options into what

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Sidley NY seems to have a "softer" culture than most New York firms. A lot of the people I met there on my cb have interests outside the firm that require a significant time commitment (in addition to family responsibilities), and apparently they have enough time to pursue them. They also seemed generally happy with their lives & happy to be working there.

Personally, I'm not looking to get on the partner track & would rather lateral to an in-house position in a few years, which is why I don't want to work at a firm where I'd have to kill myself and have no life outside work in my mid-20s--this is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward Sidley NY. However, if you want the most prestigious exit options out of those 3 firms, & that's more important to you than QOL for the next few years, Skadden might be a better bet. Can't really comment one way or another about Gibson Dunn, as I haven't heard much about them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Grizz wrote:Exit options into what

Exit options into whatever it is they'd give you exit options into. What sort of exit options are available for a lit associate at both as well as a corp associate at both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Bump. How much better are the exit options/potential career path out of at a place like skadden compared to Gibson or Sidley?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm choosing between Gibson and Skadden. I know about Skadden, but does anyone know more about Gibson NYC?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:15 pm

I think you should choose where you think you will be happy.

Also, Obama was at Sidley Austin for only a summer. So there's that. You could say his exit options were pretty damn good.

Return to “Legal Employment”