Resume question: being too specific about projects?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
What the f.supp?

Resume question: being too specific about projects?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:32 pm

After stuffing myself with BBQ on this fine holiday, I thought I'd update my resume after my 2L SA because I am considering applying for a spring antitrust externship.

My question: I am drafting some points for my job description and I am wondering whether I am being too specific (in a client confidentiality sense). I did a few antitrust memos over the summer--mentioned that and the general topic areas they involved (nothing too specific--just things like monopolization, market definition).

My question primarily revolves around this: I also worked on a due diligence team for a huge merger that wrapped up during my penultimate week. I altered language here to not out myself, but it's something akin to: "Participated on due diligence team for a $2.8 billion leveraged buyout of a plastics company." The sentence as written is enough to easily find the client name on Google, but in most of the news articles, it reported my firm as representing this client in the buyout. Should I be more generalized in my phrasing or would it be OK because the news reported my firm as representing the client?

Thanks and Happy Labor Day!

lolwat

Re: Resume question: being too specific about projects?

Postby lolwat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:56 pm

If anything, I'd say the amount might be the issue... Everything else appears to be public information.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

The acquisition amount is also in public news. I guess my question is even if the information is publicly available with some searching, is it taboo to put potentially client identifying info on your resume?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Is anything about the particular industry or amount of any practical importance? It seems to me like your question is, "I want anyone who cares to know who I represented, but without saying it. Can I do that?" I don't see what practical value is lost by just saying, "Worked on due diligence team for a multi-billion dollar buyout," or "buyout of a manufacturing company."

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 pm

GeePee wrote:Is anything about the particular industry or amount of any practical importance? It seems to me like your question is, "I want anyone who cares to know who I represented, but without saying it. Can I do that?" I don't see what practical value is lost by just saying, "Worked on due diligence team for a multi-billion dollar buyout," or "buyout of a manufacturing company."

Practical importance? No not really. Just thought that adding the industry and buyout figure made it sound less generic...perhaps a little bit more interesting or cool?

Do law students generally not put that type of stuff on resumes? ("that type" meaning small details about summer work)

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:15 am

I agree that the buyout figure would be more interesting. Industry, might not add that much to it.

I would think it's OK considering everything is public info. It's usually non-public info that is a concern. You could always just check with your past employer, however.

I don't have that type of stuff on my resume, but I also didn't do any work that I could describe that way over my summers.

Return to “Legal Employment”