MoFo

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MoFo

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Anyone know how the firm is doing? I heard from a friend that the class of 2011 summers may be deferred until January 2012.

I'm currently evaluating an offer to the SF office and would greatly appreciate any insight/thoughts re: risks of being deferred or not receiving an offer next summer because of economic reasons.

Anonymous User

Re: MoFo

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how the firm is doing? I heard from a friend that the class of 2011 summers may be deferred until January 2012.

I'm currently evaluating an offer to the SF office and would greatly appreciate any insight/thoughts re: risks of being deferred or not receiving an offer next summer because of economic reasons.

If you're IP, i'd do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:46 pm

What if you're not IP? I'm a different anon, but in the same position...

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:31 am

Dang, I didn't know deferrals were still happening. Is there a place to find out which firms are riskiest for this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:32 am

I remember calling it "MoFo" during the OCI interview. Man, did that make the old man interviewer wince.

Edit: Also, my impression based on the cb was that they were doing shitty. But this was 2 years ago.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:I remember calling it "MoFo" during the OCI interview. Man, did that make the old man interviewer wince.

I don't see why it would... most of the MoFo lawyers I've spoken with have used it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:10 am

johndhi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I remember calling it "MoFo" during the OCI interview. Man, did that make the old man interviewer wince.

I don't see why it would... most of the MoFo lawyers I've spoken with have used it.
If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have chosen http://www.mofo.com as their domain name. (Or used the MoFo abbreviation no less than five times on the home page.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how the firm is doing? I heard from a friend that the class of 2011 summers may be deferred until January 2012.

Summer of 2011 SF summer associate here. I guess I am in a position to answer your question, lol.

Firstly, I'll just come out and say I'm a huge MoFo booster. Loved the firm, loved the people, loved the SF office, pretty much loved everything about my summer. Loved being at the HQ office (being newly remodeled) of the largest/most well known firm in SF. So I'd warn you to maybe take what I say with a minor grain of salt. That being said...

To answer your question: the firm is doing great. It had its best year ever last year in terms of profits and in terms of revenues. The office was busy the whole time I was there. Major trials (Apple v. Samsung) and from what I heard from the business people, constant deal flow. I'm told the corporate department in particular is aggressively hiring laterals because they are so busy.

Regarding deferrals...my understanding is that the firm is done with deferring and has worked through its backlog of incoming associates (a backlog which existed because MoFo did not revoke any offers). We were told that as the summer class of 2011, we would, at the absolute latest, start in January of 2013. That was given as the deadline. My feeling/what I was told is that they will start members of my summer class in October-November of 2012 unless there is a double dip...in which case, January of 2013 would be the latest.

I am not sure what the offer rate was for my class, but I am guessing it was 100%. I can't really see them no-offering anyone and I have not heard of anyone being no-offered. They were pretty up front about it the whole summer: the expectation is that everyone will get an offer. We were told this over and over again. You would have to really make a huge mistake/fuck up to get no-offered. They are very protective of there 100% offer rates. Firm wide and in SF, offer rates are typically 98%-100%.

When I wasd evaluating offers, I also had my worries about MoFo - they did do fairly large layoffs in 2009. But having worked there this summer, I feel very secure in my job and the firm (and I always felt secure in getting an offer at the end of the summer). The firm seems well managed, conservative, and generally on top of the economic situation. They know they have to hire conservatively and act conservatively in order to avoid the risks of no-offers or layoffs. The chairman of the firm even came and gave us a lunch time presentation on the firm’s finances and health. It was reassuring. Bottom line: I would not refuse your MoFo offer based on fears or a no-offer or deferral.

Final thing – I want to again say I really had a great summer experience. The events and other summers were great, but I also really like the firm’s culture. Partners were friendly, etc. If you want to work in SF, I think MoFo is pretty much the best show in town (with the caveat that it of course it depends to some extent on what you want to do practice group wise).

Ok, enough MoFo kool-aid. Hope that was helpful. If you have any other questions about the firm or the SF office, ask away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:08 am

How about the la office? Does anyone know anything about the amount of work the la office has, and particularly how the ip group in la is doing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Summer of 2011 SF summer associate here. I guess I am in a position to answer your question, lol.

Firstly, I'll just come out and say I'm a huge MoFo booster. Loved the firm, loved the people, loved the SF office, pretty much loved everything about my summer. Loved being at the HQ office (being newly remodeled) of the largest/most well known firm in SF. So I'd warn you to maybe take what I say with a minor grain of salt. That being said...

To answer your question: the firm is doing great. It had its best year ever last year in terms of profits and in terms of revenues. The office was busy the whole time I was there. Major trials (Apple v. Samsung) and from what I heard from the business people, constant deal flow. I'm told the corporate department in particular is aggressively hiring laterals because they are so busy.

Regarding deferrals...my understanding is that the firm is done with deferring and has worked through its backlog of incoming associates (a backlog which existed because MoFo did not revoke any offers). We were told that as the summer class of 2011, we would, at the absolute latest, start in January of 2013. That was given as the deadline. My feeling/what I was told is that they will start members of my summer class in October-November of 2012 unless there is a double dip...in which case, January of 2013 would be the latest.

I am not sure what the offer rate was for my class, but I am guessing it was 100%. I can't really see them no-offering anyone and I have not heard of anyone being no-offered. They were pretty up front about it the whole summer: the expectation is that everyone will get an offer. We were told this over and over again. You would have to really make a huge mistake/fuck up to get no-offered. They are very protective of there 100% offer rates. Firm wide and in SF, offer rates are typically 98%-100%.

When I wasd evaluating offers, I also had my worries about MoFo - they did do fairly large layoffs in 2009. But having worked there this summer, I feel very secure in my job and the firm (and I always felt secure in getting an offer at the end of the summer). The firm seems well managed, conservative, and generally on top of the economic situation. They know they have to hire conservatively and act conservatively in order to avoid the risks of no-offers or layoffs. The chairman of the firm even came and gave us a lunch time presentation on the firm’s finances and health. It was reassuring. Bottom line: I would not refuse your MoFo offer based on fears or a no-offer or deferral.

Final thing – I want to again say I really had a great summer experience. The events and other summers were great, but I also really like the firm’s culture. Partners were friendly, etc. If you want to work in SF, I think MoFo is pretty much the best show in town (with the caveat that it of course it depends to some extent on what you want to do practice group wise).

Ok, enough MoFo kool-aid. Hope that was helpful. If you have any other questions about the firm or the SF office, ask away.

I'd love to hear more from you about the SF office. What were the other firms you were deciding between? It sounds like you were in the litigation group - what sorts of litigation did you get the chance to do over the summer? Did you have any experience with IP or securities? I've heard the latter can be a pretty tough group with respect to doc review. Do you feel like the office gives junior associates pretty early experience/opportunities? I'm a little worried that going to such a big firm I'd be likely to be caught in the cogs for a few years; for this reason I've been leaning more to Quinn Emanuel.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Quinn > MoFo for lit, especially IP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Working at MoFo over the summer, were you able to get a sense on how face-time affects the quality/amount of work associates are given? Did it seems like there was a lot of pressure to stay late at the office, or did the partners not care, just as long as the work was getting done?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:43 pm

One additional question, MoFo summer above, if you end up seeing this:

Any idea at the burnout rate for mid-level associates? I've heard 1-2 stories (from folks not working at MoFo, but who I generally trust) that people are struggling to stay 2-3 years (due to poor quality of assignments rather than hours). Other folks I've talked to (particularly those who work there) seem to completely disagree and say that most of their class is still there come year 4-5 or so.

I'm very seriously considering MoFo over SullCrom NYC and Covington DC due to a desire to be in the Bay Area, and am trying to use any avenue I can to make sure I'm not screwing up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd love to hear more from you about the SF office. What were the other firms you were deciding between? It sounds like you were in the litigation group - what sorts of litigation did you get the chance to do over the summer? Did you have any experience with IP or securities? I've heard the latter can be a pretty tough group with respect to doc review. Do you feel like the office gives junior associates pretty early experience/opportunities? I'm a little worried that going to such a big firm I'd be likely to be caught in the cogs for a few years; for this reason I've been leaning more to Quinn Emanuel.

Thanks!

Class of 2011 summer associate here...

I was deciding between a handful of firms in SF and SV. The usual suspects (gibson, latham, wilson, orrick, quinn etc). I chose MoFo because I really liked everyone I met on my callback, the firm is in solid shape, there was strength in my practice area (this will not be true for everyone), and because I really do think there is something to be said for working at the flagship office of the oldest/largest/most well regarded firm in the bay area. I'm very happy with my choice.

I don't want to out myself, but suffice it to say that I was very happy with the quality of work I was assigned. I got to work closely with some surprisingly prominent people. If you want the work, and you're competent, the high quality work is there. There is a work coordinator who stands as a backstop but 90% of the assignments I worked on this summer were the result of associates or partners asking me or me asking them. There is a lot of freedom to pursue what you want. You are encouraged to do so. My feeling is that this continued for junior associates. Of course they were probably biased in talking to me as a summer associate, but essentially every associate I talked too was happy with the firm and the kind of work opportunities they had. Its a big firm and a big office, but it doesn't feel that way. While they vary, most partners are accessible and friendly.

Regarding Quinn - they're a great firm. If you want to do hardcore lit, they would be a good option. I've heard that they are a bit of a sweatshop and that's why I went with MoFo. MoFo has a very strong lit practice but is not so singularly focused and intense as Quinn.

Anonymous User wrote:Working at MoFo over the summer, were you able to get a sense on how face-time affects the quality/amount of work associates are given? Did it seems like there was a lot of pressure to stay late at the office, or did the partners not care, just as long as the work was getting done?

As a summer, I was in at 8:30-8:45 every day and generally left after 6:00, sometimes, 8:00, one night 10:00. That was out of an abundance of caution on my part. Most associates do not roll in until 10:00+, though they do stay late and work weekends if busy. It is biglaw afterall. I did not get the feeling that partners were dicks about forcing people to show their face.

Anonymous User wrote:One additional question, MoFo summer above, if you end up seeing this:

Any idea at the burnout rate for mid-level associates? I've heard 1-2 stories (from folks not working at MoFo, but who I generally trust) that people are struggling to stay 2-3 years (due to poor quality of assignments rather than hours). Other folks I've talked to (particularly those who work there) seem to completely disagree and say that most of their class is still there come year 4-5 or so.

I'm very seriously considering MoFo over SullCrom NYC and Covington DC due to a desire to be in the Bay Area, and am trying to use any avenue I can to make sure I'm not screwing up.

This depends a lot on practice group. I know in corporate, the burn out rate is actually quite high. They're especially slammed and I think it shows in the attrition rate. I think that it's the opposite of what you've heard - its the hours, and not the quality of work. Again, speaking regarding corporate, I know that MoFo's been doing a number of high profile deals for Intel over the past year. That's not a low quality client.

It is much less for the practice group I spent most of my time in. The attrition rate is much lower. But again, this is biglaw. 50%+ of the class has generally burned out by year 4 everywhere you go.

If you want to be in the bay area, then go with MoFo. SullCrom NYC and Covington DC are some of the most prestigious offices around, and they'll give you amazing exit options, great experience, great job security, etc. But if you want to be in the bay, MoFo is your best bet. The firm is plenty prestigious (esp in SF, where its top dog), with great work, great exit options in the bay, and in very healthy shape. And honestly, picking the city where you want to live is more important then anything else. Who wants to spend 4-5 years somewhere they dislike? The bay area is, as I'm sure you're aware, the best place on earth. I'd also say that I know some people in V5 NYC firms and they lifestyle is MUCH different. I think any west coast firm is going to be significantly more relaxed and less demanding then a NYC V5 pressure cooker. This stuff might not seem important now as you choose your firm, but it will definitely matter when you start work.

As you can tell, I had a great experience. I really have very little negative to say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Anyone who has received an offer this year, how long was the callback --> offer wait for you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who has received an offer this year, how long was the callback --> offer wait for you?

Within two business days

Return to “Legal Employment”