employment odds Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: employment odds

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:50 pm

You're better off at the T14 because you'll at least get OCI interviews. The economy may pick up by the time you do them. And you might not be as dumb as you think you are and actually do well.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:58 pm

ITE8NY wrote:
kwais wrote:
Veyron wrote:
:roll: He means what kind of jerbs, yo?
oh my bad, V5, V10, V50, V100 + government + public interest. better?
Bullshit. The at-median grads I've seen have gone to doc review, temp positions, and working for free. If you know 6 people, each of whom fill each of the V5, etc. you list, then I guarantee that's about all there are.
Broski, the market's bad, but your hyperbole ain't helping you. Not every median student is doing doc review. More than 6 are getting good gigs.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:04 pm

ITE8NY wrote:work doing something else a few years, it'll help you do better in law school (if you still want to go)
While I'm not in the best position to evaluate jobs prospects, I am in a position to evaluate this part of your post...and I definitely do not agree. I've seen people without WE succeed (including myself) and people with WE succeed; probably about equal numbers of both. I'd hardly say that just because you worked for a year or two you will perform better in law school.

From what I've seen however, the rest of your post seems to be mostly accurate:
ITE8NY wrote:, help you get a job out of law school, and let you meet some lawyers and learn about the industry

as of right now, graduating in the middle in the T14 is a really shitty place to be, and graduating at the tippy-top of a "good" lower tier school still needs a big chunk of luck to get a midlaw job
Although I think this part is not necessarily a "bottom line" and requires context to know whether or not it is a bad investment:
ITE8NY wrote:bottom line: law school is a bad investment for most of the people who do it

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Both are fucked.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Both are fucked.
Agreed. Just doing well at a local school can spell the end of things. You need to be among the top three students in the class to assure good employment. Likewise bottom half of T14 is not something any employer wants. Simply put no employer wants to hire from the bottom of any class. You take what you can get from a spot like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Or you could just as intelligently say that we are all fucked at the moment the way that things are shaping up for the entire nation. Should I start storing dry food and dig my bunker?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:34 pm

if both situations are equal, isn't the T14 better for the following reasons...

1 - the name recognition that goes with your school will always stay with you, even if your grades were bad. I'd much rather say that I went to "Cornell" or "Virginia" or "Michigan" law school than going to _______ Tier 2.

2 - networking. Higher-ranked schools bring in high quality students. Become a good friend, lover, spouse of someone at that school who is doing well, and you could end up profitting. This sounds bogus at first, but imagine if you became good friends with a bunch of smart people and they end up doing well. You might go to ShitLaw, but in 5-6 years they want to leave BigLaw and start their own shop. If you're still good friends and maybe you've gotten more hands-on trail experience than they have by doing ambulance chasing, then they ask you to join with them in their own firm.

3 - you actually get OCI interviews at the T14 schools, even if you are at median. So at least you might have the same shot of the Little Giants beating the Cowboys, but at least it's possible (ONE TIME!). At the other schools, you would probably have 0 OCI interviews.

4 - if you are an attractive girl (let's say 8+), going to a T14 to find a husband could lead to riches. Although you could just do this by moving to Cambridge or Palo Alto and finding where the law students hang out, you could get a husband and legal education for the same price if you actually attend.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:35 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Agreed. Just doing well at a local school can spell the end of things. You need to be among the top three students in the class to assure good employment. Likewise bottom half of T14 is not something any employer wants. Simply put no employer wants to hire from the bottom of any class. You take what you can get from a spot like that.
Wait didn't 60% of the class at Cornell go biglaw?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:41 pm

minnbills wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
According to who? Cornell?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:41 pm

ThomasMN wrote:
Or you could just as intelligently say that we are all fucked at the moment the way that things are shaping up for the entire nation. Should I start storing dry food and dig my bunker?
Ok wait, I forgot to add that below median at HYS are still in decent shape.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:42 pm

MrAnon wrote:
minnbills wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
According to NLJ250 stats, Chicago did #1 cornell #2 but neither did 60% and I doubt that they will repeat those numbers.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:43 pm

MrAnon wrote:
minnbills wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Law Firms: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

It was 58% 2010

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:49 pm

desertlaw wrote:if both situations are equal, isn't the T14 better for the following reasons...

1 - the name recognition that goes with your school will always stay with you, even if your grades were bad. I'd much rather say that I went to "Cornell" or "Virginia" or "Michigan" law school than going to _______ Tier 2.

2 - networking. Higher-ranked schools bring in high quality students. Become a good friend, lover, spouse of someone at that school who is doing well, and you could end up profitting. This sounds bogus at first, but imagine if you became good friends with a bunch of smart people and they end up doing well. You might go to ShitLaw, but in 5-6 years they want to leave BigLaw and start their own shop. If you're still good friends and maybe you've gotten more hands-on trail experience than they have by doing ambulance chasing, then they ask you to join with them in their own firm.

3 - you actually get OCI interviews at the T14 schools, even if you are at median. So at least you might have the same shot of the Little Giants beating the Cowboys, but at least it's possible (ONE TIME!). At the other schools, you would probably have 0 OCI interviews.

4 - if you are an attractive girl (let's say 8+), going to a T14 to find a husband could lead to riches. Although you could just do this by moving to Cambridge or Palo Alto and finding where the law students hang out, you could get a husband and legal education for the same price if you actually attend.
Number one might give you some personal solace but debt is debt and it is not payable in prestige points for going to Michigan. You need the job, not the cachet of going to a law school that once upon a time assured employment but no longer does now. I bet there were prestigious blacksmith schools but does it make a difference to a blacksmith looking for employment today whether he has a degree from one of them?

I just can't figure out why someone who kicked ass in law school, got biglaw, was successful there, and decided to open his own firm would go back and hire a bunch of people who didn't do that well in law school. Its one thing to be friends with them, but when it comes to business, do you really want them working for you? Why not grab a couple of biglaw success stories to partner with, not some guy who couldnt crack a biglaw interview.

The OCI thing is just something schools throw out to students to make them feel like however many thousands of dollars they pay for the degree is worth it. This in fact is why schools make firms interview a certain number of lottery picks as well as preselects. Its so the lottery picks can feel like they have a chance no matter how small. Much has been made of this here already but bottom line is, firms didnt want to hire you if you were not preselected, and they wont hire you on the basis of a lottery interview for sure.

You'll find attractive girls in locations where guys with money hang out. Law schools are full of guys with debtloads and slim chance at partnership.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 pm

MrAnon wrote:Just doing well at a local school can spell the end of things. You need to be among the top three students in the class to assure good employment.
Again, the market sucks, but when you pull numbers out of your ass (top 3? Really? From every local schools? Herp? Derp?) no one is going to listen to what you have to say.

ITE8NY

New

Post by ITE8NY » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 pm

ThomasMN wrote:
Graduating top 10% from a T14 isn't so bad. I did, and I'm doing spiffy. But that's not what this thread is about.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:09 pm

ITE8NY wrote:
ThomasMN wrote:
Graduating top 10% from a T14 isn't so bad. I did, and I'm doing spiffy. But that's not what this thread is about.
Big law won't save you when the zombies come.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:11 pm

MrAnon wrote:
desertlaw wrote:if both situations are equal, isn't the T14 better for the following reasons...

Number one might give you some personal solace but debt is debt and it is not payable in prestige points for going to Michigan. You need the job, not the cachet of going to a law school that once upon a time assured employment but no longer does now. I bet there were prestigious blacksmith schools but does it make a difference to a blacksmith looking for employment today whether he has a degree from one of them?

I just can't figure out why someone who kicked ass in law school, got biglaw, was successful there, and decided to open his own firm would go back and hire a bunch of people who didn't do that well in law school. Its one thing to be friends with them, but when it comes to business, do you really want them working for you? Why not grab a couple of biglaw success stories to partner with, not some guy who couldnt crack a biglaw interview.

The OCI thing is just something schools throw out to students to make them feel like however many thousands of dollars they pay for the degree is worth it. This in fact is why schools make firms interview a certain number of lottery picks as well as preselects. Its so the lottery picks can feel like they have a chance no matter how small. Much has been made of this here already but bottom line is, firms didnt want to hire you if you were not preselected, and they wont hire you on the basis of a lottery interview for sure.

You'll find attractive girls in locations where guys with money hang out. Law schools are full of guys with debtloads and slim chance at partnership.
Metal workers actually do pretty well, especially welders.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:26 pm

If you can land a t-14 you may be able to land a lower t-1 in your home market with a large scholarship. Don't go into this lower ranked school thinking that you will somehow end up at the top of your class. Consider the discrepancy in price, and how that lower t-1 school places in your home market. If you can grad with very low debt, it may very well be worth it to take the low school. Just make sure the scholarship isn't conditional on anything, or else you could very well lose it and pay sticker the second two years.

If you do take the lower T1, make sure to do the following:

-Moot court and mock trial.

-Secondary journal in the spring.

-Join an association (business law association, litigation association, whatever).

-If there is a LR write on, plz participate.

-Pick a lower T1 school in a big market NEAR the area which you live. Your chances of landing big law are much better if you are in a market that you have strong ties to. Being able to say "I love X school, because I plan to keep my career, family, life, etc in X state. I had to make a hard choice between "high ranked far away school" and this one, but I would make the same decision in a heartbeat because I love this place and my family is here." is a VERY good look for a biglaw interview. It makes them think that you are far less likely to be a flight risk, much more likely to stick it out.

-Going below T1 is probably not a good idea if you are trying to land biglaw.

Realize that you will have an objectively smaller chance of getting biglaw at this lower ranked school, but your much lower debt load may very well make it worth it anyway.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Just doing well at a local school can spell the end of things. You need to be among the top three students in the class to assure good employment.
Again, the market sucks, but when you pull numbers out of your ass (top 3? Really? From every local schools? Herp? Derp?) no one is going to listen to what you have to say.
He's closer than you would like to think. Definitely true for markets where the local school is a 4th tier (think Rhode Island) - students at T14s with ties to those regions dominate those kids.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:44 pm

*From someone who is well above median at a T2*

I would rather be below median at any T14 with the exception of GULC than top 25% at any T2.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:47 pm

MrAnon wrote: The OCI thing is just something schools throw out to students to make them feel like however many thousands of dollars they pay for the degree is worth it. This in fact is why schools make firms interview a certain number of lottery picks as well as preselects. Its so the lottery picks can feel like they have a chance no matter how small. Much has been made of this here already but bottom line is, firms didnt want to hire you if you were not preselected, and they wont hire you on the basis of a lottery interview for sure.
If you want people to take you seriously, you really shouldn't speak in absolutes. "They won't hire you on the basis of a lottery interview for sure." Seriously? I know more than a handful of people that have managed to convert lottery interviews to callbacks, so it's certainly do-able. Probable? No. Possible? Yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:52 pm

[quote="f0bolous"][quote="MrAnon"]
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsosah

New

Post by dsosah » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks everybody for your input. It's so frustrating, It seems like a huge risk to enter any career in this economy (except for medicine or some types of engineering, or some other few that I might be missing) Thing is, I couldn't be less interested in any of those fields. Law school seems to be a huge risk as well, there is just no way of knowing where you will end up, in what school, let alone in what class rank. Right now it feels like playing Russian roulette, but the only thing you can do is do your best, and hope everything will work out, and if it doesn't, well readjust I guess or "kill self" as many people in this forum like to put it. Thanks everybody for you comments and best of luck to all of you, hopefully we'll make it. :wink:

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:26 pm

dsosah wrote:Thanks everybody for your input. It's so frustrating, It seems like a huge risk to enter any career in this economy (except for medicine or some types of engineering, or some other few that I might be missing) Thing is, I couldn't be less interested in any of those fields. Law school seems to be a huge risk as well, there is just no way of knowing where you will end up, in what school, let alone in what class rank. Right now it feels like playing Russian roulette, but the only thing you can do is do your best, and hope everything will work out, and if it doesn't, well readjust I guess or "kill self" as many people in this forum like to put it. Thanks everybody for you comments and best of luck to all of you, hopefully we'll make it. :wink:
Or you can get accepted to Yale. Just saying.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:27 pm

dsosah wrote:Thanks everybody for your input. It's so frustrating, It seems like a huge risk to enter any career in this economy (except for medicine or some types of engineering, or some other few that I might be missing) Thing is, I couldn't be less interested in any of those fields. Law school seems to be a huge risk as well, there is just no way of knowing where you will end up, in what school, let alone in what class rank. Right now it feels like playing Russian roulette, but the only thing you can do is do your best, and hope everything will work out, and if it doesn't, well readjust I guess or "kill self" as many people in this forum like to put it. Thanks everybody for you comments and best of luck to all of you, hopefully we'll make it. :wink:
Well, right now you can control a few things; your LSAT, for one. If you do some soul searching and really do want to be a lawyer, your goal is to rock that test. You're not in too deep yet, and no need to be until you have some idea where you stand.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”