Predictable Hours

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
funstuff

Predictable Hours

Postby funstuff » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:33 pm

So what I've heard from this site mostly is that biglaw is crushing mostly because of the unpredictability of the hours (ie one week working 30 hours, the other 100; getting ready for a road trip with SO only to find out you have something due on Monday).
Are there any fields/firms that can give you a consistent stream of work? I really don't mind working 80 hours a week as long as I can do my best to plan when to work, and not ruin the little time I had allocated for vacation.
Thanks.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: Predictable Hours

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:36 pm

The conventional wisdom is that litigation will be more predictable than corporate because your heavy periods are determined by filing deadlines that are known far in advance, rather than some major deal popping up on a Friday afternoon. The reality might be more nuanced and practice group-dependent.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:39 pm

unemployment

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:40 pm

I've spoke to an M&A associate at a V5 who said that his colleagues will, at times, fill in for him if something unexpected arises that conflicts with a pre-arranged trip or event.

Makes it a bit easier to handle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:45 pm

patent prosecution - extremely predictable thanks to the US Patent Office. Only problem is that this work is becoming somewhat commoditized. Also, you must have a hard science or engineering background.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've spoke to an M&A associate at a V5 who said that his colleagues will, at times, fill in for him if something unexpected arises that conflicts with a pre-arranged trip or event.

Makes it a bit easier to handle.

Eh. Wouldn't let that happen during years 1 and 2.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Pretty much any niche practice has more stable hours. IP, Tax, T&E, ERISA/Exec Comp, etc.

The worst of the worst is M&A. Other corporate can be extreme, but M&A is supposed to be particularly brutal (which makes it bizarre that so many law students/summer associates want it).

Return to “Legal Employment”