Offer Mistakes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer Mistakes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:16 am

I was reading somewhere on here that there have been instances where an applicant gets a phone call from a firm saying that they have a CB only to be told later that the firm made a mistake in extending the callback.

I was wondering whether it is possible or if anyone has heard of a firm extending an offer only to be told sometime later that they made a mistake in extending an offer?

The reason why I ask is because I got an offer from my number 1 firm choice (talked to partner interviewed with) the day after I did a CB with them, but on the same day I received 2 rejections from CBs I did the previous week with firms that are not as selective (larger SA sizes, lower vault rankings, and take the median at my school). To add to my paranoia, the interviews I had with the partners from the firm that extended me the offer were the worst CB interviews I had during the whole CB stage.

I would have just called the firm again to confirm I have an offer but it is Labor Day weekend. I do not mean to sound like a douche and I am really happy/grateful that I have this offer in hand, but I have this sick feeling that something is not right.

kaiser

Re: Offer Mistakes?

Postby kaiser » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:19 am

Congrats on the job

/thread

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:20 am

It will be fine.
They are your number one choice, and it showed in your attitude.

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:20 am

there is zero chance this was a mistake. and even if it was the firm will not risk ATL fame by pulling your offer.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:25 am

Do not call to confirm. You sound deluded and like they should question hiring you. If you must, wait a few days and then call to confirm some minor detail.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:30 am

The offer isn't a mistake. I know plenty of people who did not get callbacks from Vault 50-100 firms and got offers at many of the V10 firms. Different firms are looking for different things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:32 am

Agree with above. DO NOT call them. Personal interactions such as those at callbacks aren't predictable. You can't know how you came off, for better or for worse. Who knows what about you triggered some subconscious reaction in an interviewer to cause him to like or dislike you. Grades, preparation, social comfort can only do so much. Sometimes the intangibles make or break the interview. I have 2 offers from V5s but DLA said "no thanks" after the screener. Who knows why.

Enjoy your summer job and don't lose any sleep over this.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 am

An additional point - firms do a form of 'yield protecting.' A firm that consistently gets median students is probably not going to waste callbacks on top of the class students who are unlikely to choose them. Callbacks are very expensive in time and money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:40 am

blowhard wrote:Do not call to confirm. You sound deluded and like they should question hiring you. If you must, wait a few days and then call to confirm some minor detail.

OP here: LOL. Yeah, I was not gonna call them and be like, "i can't believe you would hire me, so I just want to confirm." I was thinking more along the lines of "I was hoping you could tell me when I should expect a written offer" or "when would be a good time to schedule a follow-up visit"

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of paranoia... personally, if I am lucky enough to get an offer I'll probably be so shocked that I'll be a bit paranoid too. I'd say go ahead and call on Tuesday to confirm some other kind of detail about the written offer, or when they need a response, or something like that. If your offer was a mistake (which it definitely was not) then they'll let you know.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:29 pm

I had this situation last summer and I couldn't hold myself so I emailed the hiring partner and asked to confirm the end date of the summer because I was making final plan for a vacation to see my family. I would do something like this if you absolutely must.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I had this situation last summer and I couldn't hold myself so I emailed the hiring partner and asked to confirm the end date of the summer because I was making final plan for a vacation to see my family. I would do something like this if you absolutely must.

The ultimate beta move, my brother.

Return to “Legal Employment”