Atlanta

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DaveBear07

Atlanta

Postby DaveBear07 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:14 pm

How was everyone's experience with Atlanta so far this go round?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Atlanta

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Went to UG in ATL. Now go to one of UT/Vanderbilt. Top third grades. Can't get a single firm there to touch me, and I have no idea why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Went to UG in ATL. Now go to one of UT/Vanderbilt. Top third grades. Can't get a single firm there to touch me, and I have no idea why.

Because the legal market is incredibly depressed in Atlanta. GL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Went to UG in ATL. Now go to one of UT/Vanderbilt. Top third grades. Can't get a single firm there to touch me, and I have no idea why.

Yep. Top quarter at a lower T14. Ties to the south. Only landed one callback in ATL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Glad that its not just me. From Atlanta, median at a T10, zero callbacks. Its a buyers market

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Good thing I have other CBs and didn't put my eggs in the ATL basket. Shit suuuuuucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Top 1/3 from UT/Vandy and got 3 CBs. Raised in Atlanta (family still there), went to Ugrad there, and worked there for a few years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1/3 from UT/Vandy and got 3 CBs. Raised in Atlanta (family still there), went to Ugrad there, and worked there for a few years.

Top 1/3 from UT/Vandy above. Maybe my ties weren't good enough when there were similarly qualified people with better ties and WE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:42 pm

1 CB. Median at UT/VANDY/GULC. Undergrad in the area. No work experience.

theduder

Postby theduder » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:48 pm

What is it about Atlanta that has made the legal market even worse than other cities? I know most large markets are struggling, but anecdotally it seems Atlanta is worse off. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:49 pm

At Emory, seems like people who concentrated on Atlanta (like me) are having a rough time. My friends with similar grads are having way better luck in NY/DC, as weird as that sounds. I got the hint the week after OCI and started applying broadly outside of Atlanta.

theduder wrote:What is it about Atlanta that has made the legal market even worse than other cities? I know most large markets are struggling, but anecdotally it seems Atlanta is worse off. Thoughts?

No idea. Maybe because the SE economy in general is heavily dependent on real estate and construction? Seems like NY and DC are positively vibrant compared to here though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At Emory, seems like people who concentrated on Atlanta (like me) are having a rough time. My friends with similar grads are having way better luck in NY/DC, as weird as that sounds. I got the hint the week after OCI and started applying broadly outside of Atlanta.

theduder wrote:What is it about Atlanta that has made the legal market even worse than other cities? I know most large markets are struggling, but anecdotally it seems Atlanta is worse off. Thoughts?

No idea. Maybe because the SE economy in general is heavily dependent on real estate and construction? Seems like NY and DC are positively vibrant compared to here though.

It seems that at Emory/UGA, once you meet a magic cut-off, you start making bank with CBs. During one of the CBs I had this past week, all the UGA/Emory folks had CBs with pretty much every firm in the city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At Emory, seems like people who concentrated on Atlanta (like me) are having a rough time. My friends with similar grads are having way better luck in NY/DC, as weird as that sounds. I got the hint the week after OCI and started applying broadly outside of Atlanta.

It seems that at Emory/UGA, once you meet a magic cut-off, you start making bank with CBs. During one of the CBs I had this past week, all the UGA/Emory folks had CBs with pretty much every firm in the city.

While I'm not sure why the legal market in Atlanta is so poor, I know from anecdotal evidence from friends in the ATL legal market as well as my own experience last summer that business is really, really slow in Atlanta.

Outside the legal market, I have many friends in Atlanta who struggled to find employment too. It just seems like the economy is in the pooper. Anybody have knowledge or experience to the contrary?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:While I'm not sure why the legal market in Atlanta is so poor, I know from anecdotal evidence from friends in the ATL legal market as well as my own experience last summer that business is really, really slow in Atlanta.

Outside the legal market, I have many friends in Atlanta who struggled to find employment too. It just seems like the economy is in the pooper. Anybody have knowledge or experience to the contrary?

I lived in Atlanta while it was a real boomtown. A lot of the region's prosperity was linked to that explosive growth which has slowed, along with everything else. A friend's father was a successful commercial developer in the metro area and I've heard the work has really dried up over the last few years. It's speculative, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the support industries like law are more vulnerable down there than in cities like NYC with more robust (or at least too-big-to-fail) clients.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Top 1/3 at a T10, with 2 callbacks after about 10 Atlanta screeners

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:07 pm

6 Atlanta screeners, 3 cbs. T14, top 30-40%, only ties to atlanta are i'm from the south.

Return to “Legal Employment”