POLL: NYC litigation - without Cravath or Simpson Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

NYC litigation - best experience for new associate

Cleary
5%
Davis Polk
14%
Kirkland
19%
Paul Weiss
33%
Quinn
14%
Skadden
10%
Weil
5%

Total votes: 21

Anonymous User

POLL: NYC litigation - without Cravath or Simpson

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Looking for the BEST experience for a new associate in the first 2-3 years.

Thanks for offering your expertise!

Anonymous User

Re: POLL: NYC litigation - without Cravath or Simpson

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:38 pm

The experiences are going to be roughly similar across most of those firms, but I guess if you had to force me to choose: It'd be a toss up btw cleary, paul weiss, K&E, and dpw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Cleary, Kirkland, and Weil aren't ranked Band 1 for litigation...does that make a difference, even if just for exit options?

Although I guess this is beyond the original poll, which is for associate experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cleary, Kirkland, and Weil aren't ranked Band 1 for litigation...does that make a difference, even if just for exit options?
Exit options out of litigation are pretty poor from the get-go, so I wouldn't let that influence your decision. But aside from that, do you think your experience as a litigator will be any different as between working at a Band 1 firm rather than a Band 2? All these NYC lit practices do roughly the same work. If your focus is on experience, you're better off at a firm that staffs cases leanly, provides solid training and early responsibility, and has a diversified set of cases that will expose you to different aspects of a litigation. Quinn, K&E, Paul Weiss, and Skadden are most likely to do that for you, though the last two are a little doubtful since I'm not sure how leanly they staff their cases (given their size).

If you're gunning for prestige, though, then you're right.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”