Is Clifford Chance a decent place to work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Clifford Chance a decent place to work?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 am

Does anyone have any insight on clifford chance? How much has it "improved" since the notorious memo was leaked, if at all? Is the general word around town that it's still a rough place to work?

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Is Clifford Chance a decent place to work?

Post by Sup Kid » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:54 am

Wow, so I googled this memo to see what you meant, and damn were things bad back then. I'm not speaking from experience, but I have to imagine that if things were still this bad, there would be more rumors/ATL stories/etc about clifford chance than there currently are. For those of you who want to read it too, here you go: http://www.lawcost.com/clifchancememo.htm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:02 am

Wow. That memo is really something. It is nearly a decade old now, though. I have been considering bailing on a CC callback and would like to hear any info as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Bumping this old thread because it is very relevant to my interests. Any more recent info from anyone that might have interviewed there (or talked to a guy who knew a guy whose friend interviewed there?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I interviewed there a couple of years ago as a 1L. Almost scared me off from big law entirely. Low morale and the interviewers were not welcoming. Usually HR can set you up with one or two people who can pretend to like the firm. Considering that these are the people HR set me up with, I shudder to think about what the other associates were like...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Mediocre according to the last amlaw survey, but I wouldn't put much stock in those rankings/surveys since the response rate is so low, and many firms have 50-100 spot shifts in the rankings from year to year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks all. The firm's nature (global, transactional, enormous) is really appealing to me, but I'm interested to see how that comes out in person. Any thoughts on the quality of exit options within the US, relative to other NYC firms in the V25 or so?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks all. The firm's nature (global, transactional, enormous) is really appealing to me, but I'm interested to see how that comes out in person. Any thoughts on the quality of exit options within the US, relative to other NYC firms in the V25 or so?
Can't have a discussion about exit options without knowing what you want to exit into, lil breh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks all. The firm's nature (global, transactional, enormous) is really appealing to me, but I'm interested to see how that comes out in person. Any thoughts on the quality of exit options within the US, relative to other NYC firms in the V25 or so?
Can't have a discussion about exit options without knowing what you want to exit into, lil breh
Idk brah. Mainly wondering if the clifford chance name/reputation (forefront of globalization of law, one of the largest and highest revenue firms) carries similar cachet to the other big NYC firms, or if it suffers from being foreign-based. No realistic clue what I might want to exit to someday: something transactional and involving lots of money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Idk brah. Mainly wondering if the Clifford Chance name/reputation (forefront of globalization of law, one of the largest and highest revenue firms) carries similar cachet to the other big NYC firms, or if it suffers from being foreign-based. No realistic clue what I might want to exit to someday: something transactional and involving lots of money.
Magic circle firm offices in NYC are subpar. HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:31 am

I'm summering at CC NY right now and really enjoy it- associate morale seems pretty high to me. If you want to transition to work abroad later or for a major international company it's a great place to start your career (some of the major brand firms in NY don't mean a whole lot to people outside the US). If you want to stay in NYC or focus on domestic work, obviously V10 would be a much better choice.

.375 H&H Mag.

New

Post by .375 H&H Mag. » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm summering at CC NY right now and really enjoy it- associate morale seems pretty high to me. If you want to transition to work abroad later or for a major international company it's a great place to start your career (some of the major brand firms in NY don't mean a whole lot to people outside the US). If you want to stay in NYC or focus on domestic work, obviously V10 would be a much better choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”