Callbacks that ended in rejections, anyone talk about it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Eco

Bronze

Callbacks that ended in rejections, anyone talk about it?

Post by Eco » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 pm

So I'm about to begin a few weeks of callbacks. Pretty excited. I have one on the 26th of Sept. which I'm extremely psyched about--this is a firm that I would pick hands down over all the others, even if its lower ranked etc..., just from the vibe I felt when I visited as well as their practice areas etc...

So I've been reading about all the success people had but I'm wondering, anyone here went to a CB, didn't get an offer, and has some insight as to why that happened?

Glock

Bronze

Re: Callbacks that ended in rejections, anyone talk about it?

Post by Glock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:01 pm

You'd be making a mistake if you listened to carefully to people's individual stories. They don't know why they got dinged. If they did it would be something so obvious that you'd avoid it.

Just do your best every moment. High energy. Conversational. NEVER act arrogant. Demonstrate learned and confident humility. NEVER talk trash about other people, professors, employers. Take an interest in the people interviewing you. Respect them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Don't be a deer in the headlights if they start the interview with "Tell me about yourself," or "What can I tell you about the firm?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't be a deer in the headlights if they start the interview with "Tell me about yourself," or "What can I tell you about the firm?"
This. :D I still have to take a moment and pause with the question every time I get it, but I have come along way. Definitely practice out loud the "Tell me about yourself" Question. I hate the question, but a lot of firms use it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Glock wrote: NEVER talk trash about other people, professors, employers.
how about talking extreme trash about the city my law school is in? (but praising the school, obvi...)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Glock

Bronze

Post by Glock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Glock wrote: NEVER talk trash about other people, professors, employers.
how about talking extreme trash about the city my law school is in? (but praising the school, obvi...)

What if they are from there? Or like the city? Or have family from there? Be cautious. I talked some mild trash about Tucson in some interviews I did in Phoenix, but you need to soft-peddle it.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:26 pm

I do remember one interview where I (no surprise) didn't get an offer because I accidentally trash-talked a previous employer. That is a big red sign and I didn't do it purposely, it just came out. Good thing I didn't really want that job..lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”