No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

CCN. Finally got an offer, but from a tiny insurance defense/prod liability firm. I feel like this may be career suicide and no better than striking out, so not sure how much better things will be for me off this boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Struck out at OCI, just got an offer in my preferred geographic location. Stoked and extraordinarily relieved. Best of luck to the rest of you aboard the good ship Worried, may she release you from her tender embrace soon.

lol. I hope I get released soon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 pm

For what it's worth, I had pretty much given up on getting a big law job, and then just this past week I got 1 callback from a vault firm that had advertised on my school's job post site, and 2 calls from Vault firms where I dropped off resumes at EIW or applied online shortly after and lined up 1 callback and 1 screener.

Granted, my situation is a little unusual (~top 10% at CCN, no offers out of EIW due to public-interest-leaning resume and overbidding on DC firms), but the point is, it ain't over 'til it's over. I don't have any offers yet but I'm back in the game and it feels good. So for those of you feeling like you struck out, it may not be over yet.

Edit: all three firms that have called me this week are in NYC, in case anyone is curious. I guess firms that did not get a good yield are now going into the hold pile or taking another look at resumes from hospitality suite drops.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:46 pm

do you think most people with offers have already accepted them or does anyone know of people still holding onto multiple offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do you think most people with offers have already accepted them or does anyone know of people still holding onto multiple offers?

Everybody I know accepted weeks ago due to the NALP deadline. I literally do not know one person who is still holding onto multiple offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For what it's worth, I had pretty much given up on getting a big law job, and then just this past week I got 1 callback from a vault firm that had advertised on my school's job post site, and 2 calls from Vault firms where I dropped off resumes at EIW or applied online shortly after and lined up 1 callback and 1 screener.

Granted, my situation is a little unusual (~top 10% at CCN, no offers out of EIW due to public-interest-leaning resume and overbidding on DC firms), but the point is, it ain't over 'til it's over. I don't have any offers yet but I'm back in the game and it feels good. So for those of you feeling like you struck out, it may not be over yet.

Edit: all three firms that have called me this week are in NYC, in case anyone is curious. I guess firms that did not get a good yield are now going into the hold pile or taking another look at resumes from hospitality suite drops.

Sort of unrelated, but I wanted to talk about the bolded. I struck out at OCI despite top 10% grades, journal and WE, and I couldn't figure out where I went wrong. I talked to OCS and they verified that it was my resume- too much liberal save-the-world-ish stuff on there. Just wanted to point this out for future generations who might be reading this- if you plan to try to get a firm job through OCI (or other means, really), be careful how much volunterring/ACLU/Homeless Outreach stuff you put on your resume. I had a fair amount, since I was just trying to get some legal experience, but it ended up being my downfall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I had a fair amount, since I was just trying to get some legal experience, but it ended up being my downfall.

Not that I disagree with you, but I also have a substantial amount of PI on my resume too, but this did not seem to affect me with any of the I firms I was interviewing with. I did before law school and during my 1L year (and am externing my 2L year which was on my resume). This also may vary with markets and with certain firms: different firms want different types of candidates.

With this said, I think it matters how you sell it. People want to hire people who want to be there, whatever the case may be. If it looks like you want to be there for two years before jetting to some PI employer, they are not going to hire you (however sensible this is given their business model... but that's just how it works). You do not need to lie, but you need to emphasize the rights things in your resume and in your interview. In selling the litigation and/or corporate skills emphasize client interaction, writing ability, oral skills, etc. whatever translates: did legal writing or research, edited case briefs, researched issues; spoke with clients, successfully represented clients, learned about x, y, z industries, etc.

Good luck to all the 2L/3Ls still looking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Agree with PP. It's all about framing. I have a terrible amount of PI/non-profit/education type work. I was able to talk my way out of it pretty easily: got good experience, but don't want to go back to that for X, Y & Z reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I had a fair amount, since I was just trying to get some legal experience, but it ended up being my downfall.

Not that I disagree with you, but I also have a substantial amount of PI on my resume too, but this did not seem to affect me with any of the I firms I was interviewing with. I did before law school and during my 1L year (and am externing my 2L year which was on my resume). This also may vary with markets and with certain firms: different firms want different types of candidates.

With this said, I think it matters how you sell it. People want to hire people who want to be there, whatever the case may be. If it looks like you want to be there for two years before jetting to some PI employer, they are not going to hire you (however sensible this is given their business model... but that's just how it works). You do not need to lie, but you need to emphasize the rights things in your resume and in your interview. In selling the litigation and/or corporate skills emphasize client interaction, writing ability, oral skills, etc. whatever translates: did legal writing or research, edited case briefs, researched issues; spoke with clients, successfully represented clients, learned about x, y, z industries, etc.

Good luck to all the 2L/3Ls still looking.

I'm the anonymous poster you're quoting. I should have added that my school is 100% preselect. So my problem wasn't that I couldn't explain why I wanted to work for firms; it was that I never had the chance. (I only got screeners at maybe 10% of the firms to which I applied.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Interview this week. Lets hope this is the first step to getting off the boat!

I also got a letter about a firm interesting in interviewing me...in February. I'm really hoping I'll have something on lock by four months from now, but if not, it's nice to know I've got at least one interview always on the horizon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview this week. Lets hope this is the first step to getting off the boat!

I also got a letter about a firm interesting in interviewing me...in February. I'm really hoping I'll have something on lock by four months from now, but if not, it's nice to know I've got at least one interview always on the horizon.

what market is ur interview in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview this week. Lets hope this is the first step to getting off the boat!

February?! Wow... I wonder why they're booking you so late?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:23 am

i think the boat has sunk

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:i think the boat has sunk

I'm supposed to hear back from my last firm this week. Wish me luck...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i think the boat has sunk

I'm supposed to hear back from my last firm this week. Wish me luck...

i still havent heard back from 3 callbacks. but i checked in with all 3 and got no response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 pm

i got a govt internship in dc last week, and accepted it. so am i off the boat or did i drown?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i got a govt internship in dc last week, and accepted it. so am i off the boat or did i drown?

you're on an inflatable raft. you bought yourself a little bit of time but it's up to you to get yourself onto dry land still.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i got a govt internship in dc last week, and accepted it. so am i off the boat or did i drown?

Possibility for post-grad employment?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 pm

nope :cry:

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:nope :cry:

Echo the life raft comment. Sorry brother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:15 am

Top 25%, GW, struck out. Sucks. Anyways just going to do a shit load of internships from now till I graduate. Will aggressively look for small firms to work for over the summer once they start hiring. Yeah, big law probably won't happen, although I will be doing 3L OCI just for the fuck of it. But at this point I just want a job. Making $50k or whatever I can get is better than nothing.

Fuckin GW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 am

And one more ding tonight... Fuck. Thursday marks two weeks since my last and only outstanding callback. Please dear god let it turn into an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:And one more ding tonight... Fuck. Thursday marks two weeks since my last and only outstanding callback. Please dear god let it turn into an offer.

I find out tomorrow about my outstanding firm.
I'm keeping fingers crossed for the both of us!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And one more ding tonight... Fuck. Thursday marks two weeks since my last and only outstanding callback. Please dear god let it turn into an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you :)

And you too!!

Return to “Legal Employment”