No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was about to fall into despair, but got an offer today!!!!!

It was from a CB from a few weeks ago, and I honestly was shocked it came through. For those of you still waiting, try not to lose hope. You just never, ever know with this crap.

Big congrats. Out of curiosity, did you keep in touch with the firm at all, or was the offer completely out of the blue?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was about to fall into despair, but got an offer today!!!!!

It was from a CB from a few weeks ago, and I honestly was shocked it came through. For those of you still waiting, try not to lose hope. You just never, ever know with this crap.

Big congrats. Out of curiosity, did you keep in touch with the firm at all, or was the offer completely out of the blue?

they were my first choice, so i pretty much just went for it and emailed one of the partners i met with and the recruiter that i would accept an offer if they extended one. no idea if that was what did it or not, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why would you drop out of law school? You're already half way through (paying at least) if you're paying full price at a T3 or T4 (possibly even a T2 in this market) you should have never went to law school or busted ass to transfer. If you're paying full price at a T1 you're pot committed. Pick up a weekend job and cut back living expenses to make it cheaper but don't quit. That just means you shouldn't have been here to begin with.

Sunk costs brah

Exactly. Knowing that I'll never have a legal job, saving an extra $100k is a pretty easy decision.

Sure, I shouldn't have gone to law school in the first place, but this is the best I can do toward that end.

On the same page, trying to write a brief for moot court is impossible knowing that it's worthless. The small/midsize firms that hire summers either don't really lead to permanent employment, follow the same timeline as big law, or don't actually fucking exist. Going to start looking for anything that would like a finance/econ degree and hopefully start in January. I'm thinking about making a poster board for 1L's at my T20 that says top 25% & Law Review and has a collection of my 100+ ding letters telling them to cut their losses if they are below median after first semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Just go work for a prosecutor, for free if you have to, and get a night/weekend job for a year or two. You guys are so lazy. I worked 3 jobs during undergrad to pay for everything. Ya oci isn't going great for me either but dropping out to be mediocre for the rest of your life is not an option if your driven to succeed. Turn that frustration into ambition and do something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CCN, median or above, additional WE compared to most law students; but no offers.

i'm in this boat too! :cry:

Keep hustling. I am below median at CCN and I finally got an offer today. There are firms still giving out interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just go work for a prosecutor, for free if you have to, and get a night/weekend job for a year or two. You guys are so lazy. I worked 3 jobs during undergrad to pay for everything. Ya oci isn't going great for me either but dropping out to be mediocre for the rest of your life is not an option if your driven to succeed. Turn that frustration into ambition and do something.

Have been networking and have applied to 200 places. Flew to cities on my own dime for screeners. Just got back from a self paid trip and rushed for another interview in my town yesterday. Left right after to drive to a city 5 hours away only to have the interviewer say, "I hope you didn't come here just for this and basically proceed to tell me they're pretty much done with hiring." Just got back and will be up til 9am writing a brief for moot court. Yeah, pretty sure I'm lazy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just go work for a prosecutor, for free if you have to, and get a night/weekend job for a year or two. You guys are so lazy. I worked 3 jobs during undergrad to pay for everything. Ya oci isn't going great for me either but dropping out to be mediocre for the rest of your life is not an option if your driven to succeed. Turn that frustration into ambition and do something.

Have been networking and have applied to 200 places. Flew to cities on my own dime for screeners. Just got back from a self paid trip and rushed for another interview in my town yesterday. Left right after to drive to a city 5 hours away only to have the interviewer say, "I hope you didn't come here just for this and basically proceed to tell me they're pretty much done with hiring." Just got back and will be up til 9am writing a brief for moot court. Yeah, pretty sure I'm lazy.

Sorry, Man. I'm nearing 50 failed screeners at this point, but being in my target market, it isn't that bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Left right after to drive to a city 5 hours away only to have the interviewer say, "I hope you didn't come here just for this and basically proceed to tell me they're pretty much done with hiring." Just got back and will be up til 9am writing a brief for moot court. Yeah, pretty sure I'm lazy.

You should out any firm that calls people in for interviews and then says that they are done hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Left right after to drive to a city 5 hours away only to have the interviewer say, "I hope you didn't come here just for this and basically proceed to tell me they're pretty much done with hiring." Just got back and will be up til 9am writing a brief for moot court. Yeah, pretty sure I'm lazy.

You should out any firm that calls people in for interviews and then says that they are done hiring.

Agreed, that's terrible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:25 am

what market

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:

what market

nyc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ya oci isn't going great for me either but dropping out to be mediocre for the rest of your life is not an option if your driven to succeed.

Sticking around accumulating more debt, hoping to land some shitlaw gig sounds pretty mediocre. More so than dropping out to study another field that isn't shit, pure shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what market

nyc

congrats..goodwin?

Postby 174 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ya oci isn't going great for me either but dropping out to be mediocre for the rest of your life is not an option if your driven to succeed.

Sticking around accumulating more debt, hoping to land some shitlaw gig sounds pretty mediocre. More so than dropping out to study another field that isn't shit, pure shit.

Didn't mean for this to be anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what market

nyc

congrats..goodwin?

not goodwin, v40 though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:38 pm

finally got an offer, from a small regional firm with not that great pay. basically said yes, happy to be finally off the boat..... and then now, in late october, got a callback from a firm in a major market that I was really hoping for. fml.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:finally got an offer, from a small regional firm with not that great pay. basically said yes, happy to be finally off the boat..... and then now, in late october, got a callback from a firm in a major market that I was really hoping for. fml.

Did you really commit or did you vacillate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 pm

to the v40 offer: Willkie or Cahill?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to the v40 offer: Willkie or Cahill?

jebus christ. it's obvious that the guy/gal with the v40 offer doesn't want to reveal which one. why force them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:to the v40 offer: Willkie or Cahill?

jebus christ. it's obvious that the guy/gal with the v40 offer doesn't want to reveal which one. why force them?

person with the v40 offer here--i am definitely not going to out myself, but i will say that it was neither Wilkie nor Cahill just because I hope some people find that info helpful

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:41 am

Pillsbury DC just posted on my T-14 job board that they are still looking for summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:21 pm

I just got an offer today about 5.5 weeks after cb. Don't give up hope!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an offer today about 5.5 weeks after cb. Don't give up hope!!

I just wish I'd had a callback from which I was alive after a week.

All my places literally stuffed the rejection letter within a day of meeting me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an offer today about 5.5 weeks after cb. Don't give up hope!!

Congrats and thanks for giving me hope! Mind sharing what market?

Return to “Legal Employment”