No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Void

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Void » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T-10 transfer here. 25+ screeners so far. 2 CBs. 0 offers. When I did (several) practice interviews at my old T1, CSO told me I'm an "above-average interviewer."

I guess I haven't worked hard enough for OHYEAH's liking.

You obviously slacked off instead of studying for the LSAT, and that's your problem, loser.

This is sarcasm. Don't ban me.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Grizz wrote:
forza wrote:
OHYEAH wrote:I . . . had my pick of the V5 this fall.

Fingers crossed you didn't pick mine.

Subtle, forza. Subtle.

+1

and in the no-offers thread no less

damn

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:34 pm

i wish i knew what firms to follow up with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:24 pm

CCN, median or above, additional WE compared to most law students; but no offers. Appropriate the guys picture is of kool-aid, seems to started drinking it way before law school and is pisses it out now. Know people w/ lower grades than me who got a big law job, while others with better grades struck out also. The whole process is messed up. People like him contribute to the sadly high rates of depression, alcoholism, and suicide in our profession.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CCN, median or above, additional WE compared to most law students; but no offers.

i'm in this boat too! :cry:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Who is this douche and WTF is going on? Did I stumble back into the lounge?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:02 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Who is this douche and WTF is going on? Did I stumble back into the lounge?

Pretty sure it's just some loudmouth who is as anatomically correct as the kool aid guy.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:People like him contribute to the sadly high rates of depression, alcoholism, and suicide in our profession.
The new Kool-Aid dude seems out of line, but this may be a bit of an overstatement.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 am

is OHYEAH an alt of liltunechi? they really remind me of each other.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:48 pm

As of today, jumping off the ship with a V40 offer. Still waiting on other firms (lower ranked, but I would take above this offer), but an offer is an offer and I am so blessed to have one right now.

Lower T-10, somewhere around median with significant work experience. I have hated this process from the beginning - I have interviewed with (and received jobs in) finance and consulting and those interviews were so much better than all of my legal interviews. They actually asked me about my qualifications and tested how I think. And, no one was a jerk to me. I met with a lot of jerks through the legal recruiting process and they made me question my decision to leave my job and go to law school.

That said, I could not have gotten this offer without TLS. You guys were so much more helpful than my career office. I never received responses from places my career office told me to mail, but I received responses from firms brought up in these forums. For that, thank you.

For everyone still waiting, this process is complete luck, and I wish you the best. I will keep posting if I hear of firms still looking.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For everyone still waiting, this process is complete luck, and I wish you the best. I will keep posting if I hear of firms still looking.

A lot of 1Ls don't realize the luck factor involved. It's not a function of grades like law school acceptances are a function of GPA/LSAT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As of today, jumping off the ship with a V40 offer. Still waiting on other firms (lower ranked, but I would take above this offer), but an offer is an offer and I am so blessed to have one right now.

Lower T-10, somewhere around median with significant work experience. I have hated this process from the beginning - I have interviewed with (and received jobs in) finance and consulting and those interviews were so much better than all of my legal interviews. They actually asked me about my qualifications and tested how I think. And, no one was a jerk to me. I met with a lot of jerks through the legal recruiting process and they made me question my decision to leave my job and go to law school.

That said, I could not have gotten this offer without TLS. You guys were so much more helpful than my career office. I never received responses from places my career office told me to mail, but I received responses from firms brought up in these forums. For that, thank you.

For everyone still waiting, this process is complete luck, and I wish you the best. I will keep posting if I hear of firms still looking.

Congratulations! I have to agree that luck has a lot to do with it. I have solid credentials and would like to think I'm decent at interviewing. I've done four callbacks, went "on hold" for two firms, and ultimately got rejected from all four. There was nothing more I could have done. I have one more callback coming up, so I hope I get lucky.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For everyone still waiting, this process is complete luck, and I wish you the best. I will keep posting if I hear of firms still looking.

A lot of 1Ls don't realize the luck factor involved. It's not a function of grades like law school acceptances are a function of GPA/LSAT.

Very true. I had an absolutely terrible callback/offer rate. My grades are sterling and I may not be an incredible interviewer, but am far from dismal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As of today, jumping off the ship with a V40 offer. Still waiting on other firms (lower ranked, but I would take above this offer), but an offer is an offer and I am so blessed to have one right now.

+1 to this entire post (minus the part about career services since OCP sent me the firm I will likely be at this summer)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Just wanted to jump in and tell everyone here not to give up. I know it seems like stuff sucks right now, but this happened to me last year and after a long fight I was finally able to land a position with a firm for the summer. The most important thing is not to go with the flow. Keep fighting and get there. It will work out if you are patient.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 pm

For those that don't have offers what are you doing with respect to BarBri, the deadline to lock in a State is fastly approaching.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to jump in and tell everyone here not to give up. I know it seems like stuff sucks right now, but this happened to me last year and after a long fight I was finally able to land a position with a firm for the summer. The most important thing is not to go with the flow. Keep fighting and get there. It will work out if you are patient.

WTH does keep fighting mean? Am i supposed to send resumes out to all the firms that rejected me already :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:00 pm

should I man up and check in with the last firm that has not given me news since the callback (4 months ago) would be my last hope. Little worried, IP firm and I ain't got much science background.

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 pm

for any 1L's that may have wandered this deep into the thread -

one way to add to your "luck" factor is to schedule ur CB's early. don't worry about class schedule, social events or whatever. the earlier your CB the better chance you have at snagging one of the firm's offers. simple as that.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 pm

KeepitKind wrote:for any 1L's that may have wandered this deep into the thread -

one way to add to your "luck" factor is to schedule ur CB's early. don't worry about class schedule, social events or whatever. the earlier your CB the better chance you have at snagging one of the firm's offers. simple as that.

Also credited. Fuck class if you don't have a job.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:24 pm

KeepitKind wrote:for any 1L's that may have wandered this deep into the thread -

Very good advice. I had at least one firm call me up (after a CB in very late September) telling me that they really want to bring me on, but that their yield from earlier CB's was higher than expected and they had reached the limit. I got calls from 2 people I interviewed with apologizing to me, saying they had wholeheartedly recommended that I receive an offer, but that the management committee was sticking firm on the number of summers they bring in, which was already reached. Had I scheduled earlier (which I didn't, as I was trying to avoid missing class), I would have gotten an offer.

Bottom line: Schedule them early, and put class aside

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to jump in and tell everyone here not to give up. I know it seems like stuff sucks right now, but this happened to me last year and after a long fight I was finally able to land a position with a firm for the summer. The most important thing is not to go with the flow. Keep fighting and get there. It will work out if you are patient.

WTH does keep fighting mean? Am i supposed to send resumes out to all the firms that rejected me already :)

No, it means keep checking your career service site for firms and companies coming to campus for summer recruiting and keep talking to people you know to try to find something. I'm not guaranteeing you will find a job, but I know the surest way to fail is to give up after OCI hasn't offered anything. It is hard and things might not work out, but it's much better to keep making contact and trying than to give up so early. You've got another year and a half of school, need to make the best of it even if you're looking at plans B and C now.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

kaiser wrote:

Very good advice. I had at least one firm call me up (after a CB in very late September) telling me that they really want to bring me on, but that their yield from earlier CB's was higher than expected and they had reached the limit. I got calls from 2 people I interviewed with apologizing to me, saying they had wholeheartedly recommended that I receive an offer, but that the management committee was sticking firm on the number of summers they bring in, which was already reached. Had I scheduled earlier (which I didn't, as I was trying to avoid missing class), I would have gotten an offer.

Bottom line: Schedule them early, and put class aside

As the Prophet of OCI once said,

SCHEDULE THOSE FUCKERS FAST. Get them booked soon, and book them for as soon as your lazy ass can get to the firm. OCI is a race and once those spots are filled you've lost even if you're a great candidate.

[. . .]

If your school has no callback week, class is optional. You came to law school to get a job, not to watch professors and students try to out lawstudent one another by shouting "BUT WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?!?!?" and dissecting case law on 16th century torts. I repeat, class is optional. If I find out you neglected a job thing for a school thing this fall I will say mean things about you behind your back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:08 am

Off the ship with an offer from a V50. I'm glad I didn't give up hope; I didn't send my resume to this firm until September 28th and got a callback within a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Off the ship with an offer from a V50. I'm glad I didn't give up hope; I didn't send my resume to this firm until September 28th and got a callback within a week.

congrats!

Return to “Legal Employment”