No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nsinger

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby nsinger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:49 pm

OHYEAH wrote:
kaiser wrote:1. You have no idea what effort the people in this thread put in. And having been through 1L year, you should know that sheer effort and hours spent studying do NOT necessarily correlate with strong exam performance.

There is a correlation, but it's not perfect. I should also note that I'm speaking in generalities. I feel sorry for you people who studied really hard, but still didn't get good enough grades to get a job.

And just a sidenote, but your attitude is really quite poor, and I certainly hope you keep such sentiments to yourself in the real world. Your assumptions are far too generalized and quite unfair.

Well, yeah, of course I don't go around saying this. I'm not clueless. People tend to get really pissy when you suggest that they didn't work hard enough (even if you are facebook friends with them and were the victim of a constant barrage of pictures and updates about going out to bars--that is, until it got close to exams, then they would sure as hell shout from the mountaintops about how much they're studying and how many supplements they just read through).

Yeah dude, everyone hates that person that just injects themselves into a perfectly normal social scene with a dickhead comment to draw attention to themselves. Those people fucking suck. Good thing you are nothing like them.

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:50 pm

nsinger wrote:
OHYEAH wrote:
kaiser wrote:1. You have no idea what effort the people in this thread put in. And having been through 1L year, you should know that sheer effort and hours spent studying do NOT necessarily correlate with strong exam performance.

There is a correlation, but it's not perfect. I should also note that I'm speaking in generalities. I feel sorry for you people who studied really hard, but still didn't get good enough grades to get a job.

And just a sidenote, but your attitude is really quite poor, and I certainly hope you keep such sentiments to yourself in the real world. Your assumptions are far too generalized and quite unfair.

Well, yeah, of course I don't go around saying this. I'm not clueless. People tend to get really pissy when you suggest that they didn't work hard enough (even if you are facebook friends with them and were the victim of a constant barrage of pictures and updates about going out to bars--that is, until it got close to exams, then they would sure as hell shout from the mountaintops about how much they're studying and how many supplements they just read through).

Yeah dude, everyone hates that person that just injects themselves into a perfectly normal social scene with a dickhead comment to draw attention to themselves. Those people fucking suck. Good thing you are nothing like them.

Sometimes stating the cold reality makes you come across as a dickhead. Sorry about that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:51 pm

School between 14 - 20. Law Review, fucked up one class that the teacher gave everyone an outline for. Said it was splitting hairs to grade them since everyone knew everything. Fell from just outside top 10% first semester to top 25%. No job. I wish I would have done better on the LSAT, but didn't. Wish I got an A- in that class and be atleast top 15% still. Sure, your generalizations apply mostly, but not to all.

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School between 14 - 20. Law Review, fucked up one class that the teacher gave everyone an outline for. Said it was splitting hairs to grade them since everyone knew everything. Fell from just outside top 10% first semester to top 25%. No job. I wish I would have done better on the LSAT, but didn't. Wish I got an A- in that class and be atleast top 15% still. Sure, your generalizations apply mostly, but not to all.

Yeah, that sucks, man. You probably don't fit in my generalities. I'm guessing you're at WUSTL? Maybe Emory? (are they still T20?)

What kind of grade drops you from the top 10% to the top 25%, though? That seems crazy.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:02 pm

LOL at emory being in the top 20..

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:05 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:LOL at emory being in the top 20..

lol, yeah, my bad

Why do I remember being ranked so highly then? Did they experience a big drop or something? It's been years since I've looked at the us news rankings.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:08 pm

OHYEAH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. Not a TTT/TTTT.

So a TT I guess?

A school somewhere between 30 and 40 for NLJ250 placement. TT, T1, T25 are kind of useless - the NLJ250 rankings are much more important.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fell from just outside top 10% first semester to top 25%. No job.

Is that what interviewers focused on? As in, did they explicitly ask you about the drop?

Seems like a double standard:
- The guy/gal who does well first sem, then drops the GPA-ball second sem looks bad
- The guy/gal who does bad first sem, and well the second sem looks awesome

Sorry for the bad luck with the interviews. Top 25% is pretty damn good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:11 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:LOL at emory being in the top 20..

Ya Emory dropped to 30 and may drop further. It's got good professors, not as good job placement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Meh, I was ITT until two weeks ago because I'm a crap interviewer and didn't meet the "fit" test. My grades were awesome-sauce.

Still relevant.
Grades are not the be-all-end-all; especially within bands (i.e top 10%, top 25%, median, etc. depending on the school's traditional BigLaw placement).

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OHYEAH wrote:

So a TT I guess?

A school somewhere between 30 and 40 for NLJ250 placement. TT, T1, T25 are kind of useless - the NLJ250 rankings are much more important.

I'm guessing WF or Villanova? Why would you go to school there instead of studying for the LSAT like mad and retaking till you could get into a higher school? If it had to do with natural limitations then maybe that was a sign not to do law school?

tlstlstls73

Postby tlstlstls73 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:14 pm

OHYEAH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OHYEAH wrote:

So a TT I guess?

I'm guessing WF or Villanova? Why would you go to school there instead of studying for the LSAT like mad and retaking till you could get into a higher school? If it had to do with natural limitations then maybe that was a sign not to do law school?

Won't engage OHYEAH after this bc it's derailing the thread. But your question implies anybody who goes to WF/Villanova and below in NLJ250 placement should have heeded a sign not to go to law school. Do you hear yourself??

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:Won't engage OHYEAH after this bc it's derailing the thread. But your question implies anybody who goes to WF/Villanova and below in NLJ250 placement should have heeded a sign not to go to law school.

Pretty much, yeah. Unless you have specific career goals or some kind of special connections or something or another. I mean, seriously, why would you go to a school with 10% NLJ250 placement if that's the sort of thing you want?

-OHYEAH

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:20 pm

This has been a pretty massive derail. People here are feeling bad enough, dude. Let it be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:20 pm

OHYEAH wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:Won't engage OHYEAH after this bc it's derailing the thread. But your question implies anybody who goes to WF/Villanova and below in NLJ250 placement should have heeded a sign not to go to law school.

Pretty much, yeah. Unless you have specific career goals or some kind of special connections or something or another. I mean, seriously, why would you go to a school with 10% NLJ250 placement if that's the sort of thing you want?

-OHYEAH

no surprise this guy goes to columbia...sometimes i feel sorry for the 1 or 2 non-douchebags at columbia who get lumped in with everyone else there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OHYEAH wrote:

-OHYEAH

no surprise this guy goes to columbia...sometimes i feel sorry for the 1 or 2 non-douchebags at columbia who get lumped in with everyone else there.
Yet another reason why those who take the money at "inferior" schools yet still end up in Biglaw win the lottery: they don't have to go through 3 years of the fun police kicking down doors and crashing through windows every time someone so much as talks about something other than class.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm

dailygrind wrote:This has been a pretty massive derail. People here are feeling bad enough, dude. Let it be.

+1

Enjoy the tempban. It seems like TLS was getting too fun for you anyway. GET BACK TO WORK.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Whatevs.
Last edited by Void on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Void wrote:This thread is full of posters who actually did pretty well in law school and haven't yet received an offer, which is why we're posting here. I haven't seen a lot of "TTTT, bottom quarter, No journal, no WE- struck out WTF?" posts here. I've found the thread interesting because it suggests that numbers have much less to do with hiring than one might assume.

I'm top 10%, Journal, WE, and did well enough on the LSAT that I'm not paying a cent in tuition, but I watched lots of my classmates pick up jobs from OCI from median while I remain offerless. I think a lot of people have seen the same thing happening around them, which seemed to be what this thread was about. So this thread should actually act as an opposite warning to 0Ls and 1Ls: If you think getting good grades at a good school will get you a job, you're wrong.

I'm top 20% at a t10 with a reputable journal, and I'm still chilling offerless. Got a buddy with pretty much the same grades, a journal, and an award for brief-writing who's in the same boat. I've got a few callbacks I'm waiting to hear back from and I'm going on another in a few days, but I want to serve as a grim reminder of grades being only one small part of the equation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:This thread is full of posters who actually did pretty well in law school and haven't yet received an offer, which is why we're posting here. I haven't seen a lot of "TTTT, bottom quarter, No journal, no WE- struck out WTF?" posts here. I've found the thread interesting because it suggests that numbers have much less to do with hiring than one might assume.

I'm top 10%, Journal, WE, and did well enough on the LSAT that I'm not paying a cent in tuition, but I watched lots of my classmates pick up jobs from OCI from median while I remain offerless. I think a lot of people have seen the same thing happening around them, which seemed to be what this thread was about. So this thread should actually act as an opposite warning to 0Ls and 1Ls: If you think getting good grades at a good school will get you a job, you're wrong.

I'm top 20% at a t10 with a reputable journal, and I'm still chilling offerless. Got a buddy with pretty much the same grades, a journal, and an award for brief-writing who's in the same boat. I've got a few callbacks I'm waiting to hear back from and I'm going on another in a few days, but I want to serve as a grim reminder of grades being only one small part of the equation.

Top Grades: not always necessary, and not always sufficient.

forza

Postby forza » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 pm

OHYEAH wrote:I . . . had my pick of the V5 this fall.

Fingers crossed you didn't pick mine.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:56 pm

forza wrote:

Subtle, forza. Subtle.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:57 pm

forza wrote:

Yeah, this humblebrag almost got by me. I'm just reading through the thread, and I'm like "waaaaait a minute..."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:06 pm

T-10 transfer here. 25+ screeners so far. 2 CBs. 0 offers. When I did (several) practice interviews at my old T1, CSO told me I'm an "above-average interviewer."

I guess I haven't worked hard enough for OHYEAH's liking.

Return to “Legal Employment”