No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those still waiting to hear from CB firms, it's not over yet. Just got an offer today in a secondary market. I'm probably gonna turn it down, and it can go to someone else. Secondary market offers I have a feeling are going to start to run into NALP deadlines.

This is a dumb question but what qualifies as a secondary market?

In this case, Tallahasse, so like a quaternary(?) market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:29 pm

TTTT, LR, top 15%, non-URM
10 OCI screens, 1 CB: received and accepted SA offer at Midwest NLJ250 this week :)

Void

Postby Void » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TTTT, LR, top 15%, non-URM
10 OCI screens, 1 CB: received and accepted SA offer at Midwest NLJ250 this week :)

Awesome! Congratulations. That must have been a huge relief!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TTTT, LR, top 15%, non-URM

Awesome! Congratulations. That must have been a huge relief!

Thanks! I am still in shock (the CB was many weeks ago)!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:27 pm

8 CBs, 5 rejections, 3 pending. lower t14, top 30%. nervous breakdown any day now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm

looks like I'm on this boat until it sinks

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:56 pm

To the 0Ls or fresh 1Ls reading this thread: This is why you study for the LSAT and this is why you work hard at school. So you don't end up like the people in this thread. They're probably kicking themselves now for not putting enough work into school or studying harder for the LSAT and getting into a better school.

tlstlstls73

Postby tlstlstls73 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:00 pm

OHYEAH wrote:To the 0Ls or fresh 1Ls reading this thread: This is why you study for the LSAT and this is why you work hard at school. So you don't end up like the people in this thread. They're probably kicking themselves now for not putting enough work into school or studying harder for the LSAT and getting into a better school.

Harsh dude. It's not all about "working hard." The whole point of the last decade and the current student loan crisis is that the American myth of study hard and work hard and you will get into the middle class is a utter lie and fabrication--don't perpetuate it.

Also, ppl at median outside of t14 with IP or URM or who just have amazing interview skills can still bat V100--I did.

0Ls reading this --- just don't go to law school unless you just can't do anything else but see yourself as a lawyer (or unemployed JD). It's just not a good bet.

1Ls --- you came to law school even after the August 2011 meltdown and everything else in the mainstream media? Good luck.

PPL in this thread are here often through no fault of their own. Don't be an ass.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm

OHYEAH wrote:To the 0Ls or fresh 1Ls reading this thread: This is why you study for the LSAT and this is why you work hard at school. So you don't end up like the people in this thread. They're probably kicking themselves now for not putting enough work into school or studying harder for the LSAT and getting into a better school.

seriously. there are plenty of people that worked their butts off only to end up below the median. don't be a jerk. and the above poster is credited.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

seriously. there are plenty of people that worked their butts off only to end up below the median. don't be a jerk. and the above poster is credited.

Meh, I was ITT until two weeks ago because I'm a crap interviewer and didn't meet the "fit" test (and I'm a generally sociable person with WE). My grades were awesome-sauce.

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:12 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:PPL in this thread are here often through no fault of their own. Don't be an ass.

Maybe some. But I know so many people who went out way more than they should have who are now below median and complaining about not having a job. Well no duh. I remember the people who updated their Facebook all the time with picture and updates about going out. Almost all of them struck out at biglaw (although some miraculously are acting like they were public interest of die this whole time).

The only people I know who "worked their butts off to only up below the median" were people who didn't understand what types of things are tested on a law school exam, and didn't put in the legwork beforehand to figure that out. Just a different kind of laziness I guess.

I know at my school, pretty much everybody who graded onto law review were truly the ones to work their ass off.

Anyway, the point of my post was just to say to study hard. Now that you're in, that's the only thing you can control yourself. And don't come whining in this thread next year after you strike out at OCI, because of your mediocre grades that were probably a result of trying to be a social butterfly.

tlstlstls73

Postby tlstlstls73 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:15 pm

OHYEAH wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:PPL in this thread are here often through no fault of their own. Don't be an ass.

Maybe some. But I know so many people who went out way more than they should have who are now below median and complaining about not having a job. Well no duh. I remember the people who updated their Facebook all the time with picture and updates about going out. Almost all of them struck out at biglaw (although some miraculously are acting like they were public interest of die this whole time).

The only people I know who "worked their butts off to only up below the median" were people who didn't understand what types of things are tested on a law school exam, and didn't put in the legwork beforehand to figure that out. Just a different kind of laziness I guess.

I know at my school, pretty much everybody who graded onto law review were truly the ones to work their ass off.

Anyway, the point of my post was just to say to study hard. Now that you're in, that's the only thing you can control yourself. And don't come whining in this thread next year after you strike out at OCI, because of your mediocre grades that were probably a result of trying to be a social butterfly.

You must love Herman Cain. If you aren't rich, it's your own fault!

nsinger

Postby nsinger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:17 pm

OHYEAH wrote:

1. To everyone considering law school - dickheads like this are why you don't want to go to law school.
2. You mad about being a social pariah, bro?
3. Good luck to everyone - its a lot of luck outside of the kick-ass schools.

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:20 pm

nsinger wrote:2. You mad about being a social pariah, bro?

I have a small group of very close friends here (how I like it) and I don't think that I'm disliked by anybody at my school. I'm actually a pretty likable person in real life, I'm just fed up with people who went out all the time during 1L complaining about not having a job. I worked my ass off and got in the top 10% at a T6 school. I threw everything I had into 1L and essentially had my pick of the V5 this fall.

I saw the same sort of thing from UG people who studied a couple weeks for the LSAT, took it, and then complained about not being able to get into any good schools ("why doesn't undergrad GPA matter more?!? waaa").

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:You must love Herman Cain. If you aren't rich, it's your own fault!

Pretty much everybody at my school rocked the LSAT and did great in undergrad. It's not like a huge majority of them were just unfortunately not born with the brain power needed to succeed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 pm

OHYEAH wrote:

I have a small group of very close friends here (how I like it) and I don't think that I'm disliked by anybody at my school. I'm actually a pretty likable person in real life, I'm just fed up with people who went out all the time during 1L complaining about not having a job. I worked my ass off and got in the top 10% at a T6 school. I threw everything I had into 1L and essentially had my pick of the V5 this fall.

I saw the same sort of thing from UG people who studied a couple weeks for the LSAT, took it, and then complained about not being able to get into any good schools ("why doesn't undergrad GPA matter more?!? waaa").

Then why are you mad bro?! Everything worked out for you. Even if you are 100% right about everything (you are wrong about everything but whatever), at least have some compassion for people who did not have the same drive as you did. Let them complain. Sigh.

Edit: I guess this cut-throat take no prisoners, shit on people even if they don't hurt you attitude goes far in litigation. But I would looooove to wax the floor with someone with this attitude in practice some day--I'm at a peer firm so it might happen. Wonder how you'll deal when some kid who went out more gets you on a big summary judgment motion. Sorry to say but in real life dotting the i's and crossing the t's won't always get you ahead. You just haven't realized that yet.

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Edit: I guess this cut-throat take no prisoners, shit on people even if they don't hurt you attitude goes far in litigation. But I would looooove to wax the floor with someone with this attitude in practice some day--I'm at a peer firm so it might happen. Wonder how you'll deal when some kid who went out more gets you on a big summary judgment motion. Sorry to say but in real life dotting the i's and crossing the t's won't always get you ahead. You just haven't realized that yet.

There are some people with better grades than me who went out a lot more than I did. I am very far from being smarter than 90% of the people here. The people mentioned in the previous sentence are sure as fuck smarter than me. I wish I could be them. But I'm not. I wish I could have gone out all the time and had a lot of fun. But I couldn't have without having my grades seriously suffer. So I worked like I've never worked before while a decent-sized chunk of the class was taking it easy and not putting in my level of hours until it got within a couple weeks of exams.

I'm doing corporate and also, not sure if there is a peer firm for where I ended up. :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 pm

I worked my ass off, barely went out, am ranked in the 30s at my law school and have no job. Stop generalizing as to why people are complaining in this thread. In fact, TLS attracts people who work extremely hard so if you want to vent it sounds like facebook will reach more of the people you are trying to put down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 pm

OHYEAH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Edit: I guess this cut-throat take no prisoners, shit on people even if they don't hurt you attitude goes far in litigation. But I would looooove to wax the floor with someone with this attitude in practice some day--I'm at a peer firm so it might happen. Wonder how you'll deal when some kid who went out more gets you on a big summary judgment motion. Sorry to say but in real life dotting the i's and crossing the t's won't always get you ahead. You just haven't realized that yet.

There are some people with better grades than me who went out a lot more than I did. I am very far from being smarter than 90% of the people here. The people mentioned in the previous sentence are sure as fuck smarter than me. I wish I could be them. But I'm not. So I worked like I've never worked before while a decent-sized chunk of the class was taking it easy and not putting in my level of hours until it got within a couple weeks of exams.

I'm doing corporate and also, not sure if there is a peer firm for where I ended up. :wink:

Well then GL to you. Enjoy crushing those smarter but less hard working deals people on the other side of your non-peer firm.

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked my ass off, barely went out, am ranked in the 30s at my law school and have no job. Stop generalizing as to why people are complaining in this thread. In fact, TLS attracts people who work extremely hard so if you want to vent it sounds like facebook will reach more of the people you are trying to put down.

What kind of school do you go to? (ranked in the 30s = being in the top 40 people overall?)

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OHYEAH wrote:

There are some people with better grades than me who went out a lot more than I did. I am very far from being smarter than 90% of the people here. The people mentioned in the previous sentence are sure as fuck smarter than me. I wish I could be them. But I'm not. So I worked like I've never worked before while a decent-sized chunk of the class was taking it easy and not putting in my level of hours until it got within a couple weeks of exams.

Well then GL to you. Enjoy crushing those smarter but less hard working deals people on the other side of your non-peer firm.

Thanks. I'll try. :wink:

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:35 pm

OHYEAH wrote:

Just a few points:

1. You have no idea what effort the people in this thread put in. And having been through 1L year, you should know that sheer effort and hours spent studying do NOT necessarily correlate with strong exam performance.

2. You have no idea what the stats of some of these people are. Many of the people in this thread likely did quite well in law school, but are stuck in that "marginal" range where getting a job is still questionable. For example, I have a good friend who is top 25% at a T25 and is having trouble finding a job. Yet he put his all into 1L year, and in any other period of time aside from 2009-2011, he would have gotten a job with a good firm. Should I chide him for not working hard enough? That wouldn't make sense, given that 5 years ago, I would be congratulating him on his hard work.

3. I will concede that some people on here may not have put in the effort, or may not have had enough urgency, but there are likely many more who did put in the effort and did have the urgency. Yet despite that, some could be in a bad position with no job and a lot of debt. They are rightfully frustrated, and most certainly can air their concerns and complaints. And the fact that a dedicated thread was created as to keep the discussion relatively isolated means that it in no way affects you. In fact, it was you who chose to click on the thread and read it, knowing full well that it didn't apply to you.

And just a sidenote, but your attitude is really quite poor, and I certainly hope you keep such sentiments to yourself in the real world. Your assumptions are far too generalized and quite unfair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

OHYEAH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked my ass off, barely went out, am ranked in the 30s at my law school and have no job. Stop generalizing as to why people are complaining in this thread. In fact, TLS attracts people who work extremely hard so if you want to vent it sounds like facebook will reach more of the people you are trying to put down.

What kind of school do you go to? (ranked in the 30s = being in the top 40 people overall?)

Yes. Not a TTT/TTTT. I missed law review by one grade increment (B to B+, etc.) in one doctrinal class. My SA search still isn't done.

Regardless it doesn't really matter, because you're venting to the wrong people in an elitist way and insinuating this is somehow our fault.

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. Not a TTT/TTTT.

So a TT I guess?

OHYEAH

Postby OHYEAH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:46 pm

kaiser wrote:1. You have no idea what effort the people in this thread put in. And having been through 1L year, you should know that sheer effort and hours spent studying do NOT necessarily correlate with strong exam performance.

There is a correlation, but it's not perfect. I should also note that I'm speaking in generalities. I feel sorry for you people who studied really hard, but still didn't get good enough grades to get a job.

And just a sidenote, but your attitude is really quite poor, and I certainly hope you keep such sentiments to yourself in the real world. Your assumptions are far too generalized and quite unfair.

Well, yeah, of course I don't go around saying this. I'm not clueless. People tend to get really pissy when you suggest that they didn't work hard enough (even if you are facebook friends with them and were the victim of a constant barrage of pictures and updates about going out to bars--that is, until it got close to exams, then they would sure as hell shout from the mountaintops about how much they're studying and how many supplements they just read through).

Return to “Legal Employment”