No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:22 pm

lawbanshee wrote:
Yes, I do. Unless your bottom of the class @ T2. My friend was top 30% at hofstra and got a job at a smallish firm doing medical mal for 50K a year in LI. This is obvi just one example. I'm just saying your prospects are not over just b/c you dont score big law. I know its hard and difficult market, but signing up for doc review as a first semester 2L is unnecessary. Also kings county DA and manhattan DA did OCI at my school for 3Ls this year. If they arent hiring, why would they show up?

Your friend in med mal will probably be out of a job soon:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/201 ... m_des.html

Understand that tort reformers have been salivating over med mal reform for years, as it's the last big "cash cow" for the plaintiff firms, esp. the Bronx cases. Capping damages will basically kill off all but the most egrigious cases (like wrong limb amputated, etc), because the plaintiff's firms have to "front" the expenses for these cases, which with experts and such can run north of 100 K per case. If all you can recover is 250 K (about 83 K in fees, actually less as med mal fees are less than standard tort), these cases will dry up almost overnight. There won't be any point in spending 100 K on experts to recover 83 K max. Couple that with the fact that most of the cases are utter BS and based on junk science, slick lawyers, and incredibly stupid jurors, and you can kiss this field goodbye. Texas and most southern states have already almost eliminated med mal as a practice area.

Same exact thing happened to auto cases (whiplash etc) about 5 yrs ago. Look up "NY auto accident treatment gap" and you'll see that these little moneymakers have gone the way of the dodo bird.

WE'll keep a chair warm for you here on doc review dood.

Actually, im top 5% and have an offer. I just read TLS instead of doing my work. In any event, you are just bitter b/c you failed. Not everyone that doesnt get big law will fail. And some people will be happy with what they are doing. There are other jobs such as court clerks in state courts, DA as mentioned b4 which some are still hiring, NYC law dept type jobs, staff attorneys at state and federal courts. I'm not saying they are glorious or guaranteed and the bottom part of the class is likely screwed. I'm just saying b/c you struck out at OCI doesnt mean you need to sign up for doc review in your FIRST SEMESTER OF 2nd YEAR. goodbye now bitter man

lawbanshee

Postby lawbanshee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Do you have a google alert for any time "doc review" is mentioned on the internet?

The cavalier dismissal of doc review on here is very amusing, given the large % of you who will be sitting right here next to me in only 18-24 month's time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm

lawbanshee wrote:
Do you have a google alert for any time "doc review" is mentioned on the internet?

The cavalier dismissal of doc review on here is very amusing, given the large % of you who will be sitting right here next to me in only 18-24 month's time.

At one of my CB's (not going to name the firm) one of the associates said one good thing they offer first-year associates in terms of taking responsibility is the ability to supervise the contract attorneys. If it makes you feel better, I laughed to myself and thought of you and the threads here :).

I personally have a SA offer, so I've at least temporarily avoided the doc review dungeon fate; but I pretty much won the lottery and know it.

lawbanshee

Postby lawbanshee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:23 pm

At one of my CB's (not going to name the firm) one of the associates said one good thing they offer first-year associates in terms of taking responsibility is the ability to supervise the contract attorneys. If it makes you feel better, I laughed to myself and thought of you and the threads here .

I personally have a SA offer, so I've at least temporarily avoided the doc review dungeon fate; but I pretty much won the lottery and know it.

What's really interesting is when/if you end up supervising a former lawschool classmate on a doc review. Happened on a project I was on where one Fordham grad was supervising another, both class of 2006. Luckily they got along well, easy gig, but still I often wondered how odd it must have felt to both of them: one a successful 3rd year associate making over 200 K with bonus and the other a loser coder like me making $30 an hour with no future. Both started that same 1 L day together, had been in same section, etc.

Certianly an interesting thing to consider.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:are firms closed today?

If you can find a firm that is closed for Columbus Day, that's the firm you want to work for.

Come to Boston
Associates in Boston were most likely to enjoy a discovery-free Columbus Day, with offices at Bingham, Goodwin Procter, and Ropes & Gray reportedly closed for the day. Overall, 46% of Boston respondents reported that they had not worked over the holiday weekend

Caveat: pre-ITE.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:16 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Void wrote:

If you can find a firm that is closed for Columbus Day, that's the firm you want to work for.

Come to Boston
Associates in Boston were most likely to enjoy a discovery-free Columbus Day, with offices at Bingham, Goodwin Procter, and Ropes & Gray reportedly closed for the day. Overall, 46% of Boston respondents reported that they had not worked over the holiday weekend

I would want to work for Bingham, GP, R&G... wouldn't you? :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Void wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Void wrote:

Come to Boston

I would want to work for Bingham, GP, R&G... wouldn't you? :)

Bingham NY is definitely closed today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Goodwin NY seems to be closed today too, unless they dont have receptionist that answer calls to the main line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 pm

For those waiting on offers, this made me feel slightly better. Both firms I'm waiting on are closed. So I can stop staring at my phone now.

Open/Closed Information
From llsdc.org

Columbus Day – Oct 10, 2011
Federal Holiday – if it’s federal, it’s closed.
Arent Fox – Open
Arnold & Porter – Open
Baker Hostetler – Open
Beveridge & Diamond – Open, short staffed.
Bingham McCutchen LLP – Closed
Birch Stewart Kolasch Birch LLP – Closed
Bracewell & Giuliani LLP – Open
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP – Closed
Chadbourne & Parke LLP – Open
Cleary Gottlieb – Closed
Covington & Burling LLP – Open
Dechert – Library Closed
Dickstein Shapiro LLP – Closed
DOJ Main Library (and associated branches) – Closed
Drinker Biddle – Open
Epstein Becker Green – Open
Fairfax Public Law Library – Closed
Federal Reserve Board – Closed
Finnegan – Closed
Fried Frank – Open
Fulbright & Jaworski – Open
Georgetown University Law Library – Open regular hours. No ILL.
Goodwin Procter – Closed
Holland & Knight – Open
Hyman, Phelps & McNamara, P.C. – Open
Jenner & Block – Open
Jones Day – Open
Kelley Drye – Open
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton – Open
King & Spalding – Open
McGuireWoods – Open
Montgomery County Circuit Court Library – Closed
Morgan Lewis – Open, call 202-739-6424.
Morrison & Foerster – Open
Nossaman LLP – Open
O’Melveny & [deleted] – Open
Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP – Open
Pasternak & Fidis (Bethesda) – Open
Porter Wright – Closed
ROPES & GRAY LLP – Open
Seyfarth Shaw – Open
Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom (DC) Library – Open
SNR Denton – Open
Spiegel & McDiarmid LLP – Closed
Steptoe & Johnson LLP – Closed
Stewart & Stewart – Closed
Sutherland – Open
Thompson Coburn – Closed
Vinson & Elkins – Open
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Library – Closed
Whiteford Taylor Preston – Open
Wilkinson Barker Knauer, LLP – Closed
Williams & Connolly – Closed
Zuckerman Spaeder – Closed
final
Official List of Federal Holidays for 2011

Page took 9 seconds to load.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:52 am

did everyone get off the boat or something. or did it sink

Void

Postby Void » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:did everyone get off the boat or something. or did it sink

I jumped into a shark's mouth, I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 am

Is anyone else still getting CBs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 am

I know of some people who have recently applied to simplicity postings and gotten CBs for major firms. Not their first choice but hey, at this point...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know of some people who have recently applied to simplicity postings and gotten CBs for major firms. Not their first choice but hey, at this point...

My first choice rejected me 1 day after my screener, so that's a distant memory.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:40 am

I think I'm ready to sink on this boat. Saw on TLS that someone got an offer at my last outstanding firm. I haven't gotten my rejection, but unless (1) this person is lying on TLS, or (2) firm is still waiting on other people's decisions (which is unlikely because I think NALP deadline passed), I'm done for the season and out of the biglaw game.

Do firms give out offers at the same time?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm ready to sink on this boat. Saw on TLS that someone got an offer at my last outstanding firm. I haven't gotten my rejection, but unless (1) this person is lying on TLS, or (2) firm is still waiting on other people's decisions (which is unlikely because I think NALP deadline passed), I'm done for the season and out of the biglaw game.

Sometimes they wait to see who rejects. Def not unheard of. The smaller firms with 2-3 SAs may do rounds where they give out 3 and see who turns it down before giving another.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 am

For those still waiting to hear from CB firms, it's not over yet. Just got an offer today in a secondary market. I'm probably gonna turn it down, and it can go to someone else. Secondary market offers I have a feeling are going to start to run into NALP deadlines.

Void

Postby Void » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think I'm ready to sink on this boat. Saw on TLS that someone got an offer at my last outstanding firm. I haven't gotten my rejection, but unless (1) this person is lying on TLS, or (2) firm is still waiting on other people's decisions (which is unlikely because I think NALP deadline passed), I'm done for the season and out of the biglaw game.

I'm in the same, um, boat. My one and only CB firm appears to have given offers earlier this week, and my phone is depressingly silent.

Suicide pact?
Last edited by Void on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 am

Void wrote:

I'm in the same, um, boat. My one and only CB firm appears to have given offers earlier this week, and my phone is depressingly silent.

To make matters worse, I'm sort of a non-trad student and I left an unrelated career path to go to law school, partially because I just couldn't find a job in the field. According to craigslist, simplyhired, and other sources, there are now dozens of jobs that I probably could have gotten if I hadn't jumped ship. And no legal jobs.

Suicide pact?

OP here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm planning on calling the recruiter today and seeing what's going on. Nothing to lose at this point.

Void

Postby Void » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:

To make matters worse, I'm sort of a non-trad student and I left an unrelated career path to go to law school, partially because I just couldn't find a job in the field. According to craigslist, simplyhired, and other sources, there are now dozens of jobs that I probably could have gotten if I hadn't jumped ship. And no legal jobs.

Suicide pact?

OP here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm planning on calling the recruiter today and seeing what's going on. Nothing to lose at this point.

Suicide isn't your first response to discouraging news? Interesting strategy.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:24 am

Void wrote:

I think every single on of your 83 poasts are depressing (whereas only about 5500 of mine are). Grats bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:31 am

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:

Suicide pact?

OP: It's easy to feel discouraged (and I do feel that way), but it's not big law or bust for me. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that only about 15% of law students nationwide find jobs through OCI. Sure, I would have wanted to be part of the 15%. But it's not the end of the world. I'm in this for the long run, really like the law, really enthusiastic about practicing. Paying back my debt will be a bitch with a low salary, but I knew this coming in.

Void

Postby Void » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 am

Grizz wrote:
Void wrote:

I think every single on of your 83 poasts are depressing (whereas only about 5500 of mine are). Grats bro.

Thanx bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those still waiting to hear from CB firms, it's not over yet. Just got an offer today in a secondary market. I'm probably gonna turn it down, and it can go to someone else. Secondary market offers I have a feeling are going to start to run into NALP deadlines.

This is a dumb question but what qualifies as a secondary market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those still waiting to hear from CB firms, it's not over yet. Just got an offer today in a secondary market. I'm probably gonna turn it down, and it can go to someone else. Secondary market offers I have a feeling are going to start to run into NALP deadlines.

This is a dumb question but what qualifies as a secondary market?

anything other than NY

Return to “Legal Employment”