No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone called to follow up? Do recruiters ask you if you have an offer you need to respond to?

I called somewhere today, was not asked.

But, of course, you never know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone called to follow up? Do recruiters ask you if you have an offer you need to respond to?

I called somewhere today, was not asked.

But, of course, you never know.

I was asked this, but I just artfully avoided the question... They don't need to know I have 0 offer pending.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm

4 cb's, 3 rejections. about to hit the one month mark with the one that I'm waiting on. Rejection letters have already gone out to others, so it's pretty clear that I'm on some sort of wait list. Torture.

How often is it ok to follow up? I just sent them something about a week ago..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4 cb's, 3 rejections. about to hit the one month mark with the one that I'm waiting on. Rejection letters have already gone out to others, so it's pretty clear that I'm on some sort of wait list. Torture.

I'm in the same situation. What vault range is the firm you are waiting to hear from?
Did they reply?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:4 cb's, 3 rejections. about to hit the one month mark with the one that I'm waiting on. Rejection letters have already gone out to others, so it's pretty clear that I'm on some sort of wait list. Torture.

I'm in the same situation. What vault range is the firm you are waiting to hear from?

top firm in a secondary market

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I sent an email last week and I didn't get a reply. I want to call but I am not sure if it's a good idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I sent an email last week and I didn't get a reply. I want to call but I am not sure if it's a good idea.

I'm kind of on the same boat. I e-mailed a recruiter a follow-up, and she did respond, but then I asked another question in response and she never got back to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5%, LR. I had 3 screeners at OCI

Damn. That's pretty shocking. Midwest school? Preselect only system, or some lottery?

I'm in a similar situation, top five students, no offers.

I'm not quite shocked about the prospect of striking out; that can happen to anyone these days.

The small number of screeners was what I was curious about.

I'm the original poster here. The school is a midwest school and only does preselect. There were only about 4 firms that came that weren't IP and not into the main secondary market the school feeds into. I interviewed with all of them, but so did 15 other people. Our school's OCI was downright disgraceful. I did a bunch of mass mailing, but I think I did it a little bit late. Like I said, I still have 2 CBs this week, but I am definitely on board this ship.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the original poster here. The school is a midwest school and only does preselect. There were only about 4 firms that came that weren't IP and not into the main secondary market the school feeds into. I interviewed with all of them, but so did 15 other people. Our school's OCI was downright disgraceful. I did a bunch of mass mailing, but I think I did it a little bit late. Like I said, I still have 2 CBs this week, but I am definitely on board this ship.

Why on earth didn't you apply to the ones in the main secondary market your school feeds into?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm the original poster here. The school is a midwest school and only does preselect. There were only about 4 firms that came that weren't IP and not into the main secondary market the school feeds into. I interviewed with all of them, but so did 15 other people. Our school's OCI was downright disgraceful. I did a bunch of mass mailing, but I think I did it a little bit late. Like I said, I still have 2 CBs this week, but I am definitely on board this ship.

Why on earth didn't you apply to the ones in the main secondary market your school feeds into?

No connections to that market. They focus on it very heavily... It would have been pretty useless for me.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Sorry man, that sounds rough. Did you bid on all the non-IP ones, market notwithstanding?

Moral of the story, IUB isn't getting biglaw, I guess, no matter who you are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:30 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Moral of the story, IUB isn't getting biglaw, I guess, no matter who you are.

So credited. Probably the same story for Iowa and UMN.

(waiting for somebody to chime in about how their sister's brother-in-law's cousin graduated from Iowa and is now working at a V20 in NYC)

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:50 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Moral of the story, IUB isn't getting biglaw, I guess, no matter who you are.

Yeah, that's no secret, but it definitely bears repeating. T25 lawl.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

So credited. Probably the same story for Iowa and UMN.

(waiting for somebody to chime in about how their sister's brother-in-law's cousin graduated from Iowa and is now working at a V20 in NYC)

It is very rough out there for midwest T25s. Takeaway: don't go unless you have ties to and want to work in their feeder market OR you have a killer connection that will get you in somewhere else that you actually want to be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

original poster here. They did respond when I followed up last week and said that "they hope to get back to me in the next couple of days"... during that time period people got rejections, so I'm assuming that offers were made and I was just wait listed or something...

hankstamper

Postby hankstamper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:47 am

I just want to say that I'm rooting and praying for you guys. There are certainly plenty of people here who are smarter and more deserving than me, and I wish there were something I could do to help. Keep your chin up, everybody.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:34 am

Finished my CB week with no offers in hand (though at least 2 of the regional firms said hiring committee isn't even meeting until October). Jumping on board and thinking of just telling my first choice firm that if they were to give me an offer I would take it immediately (which I would)... but then again, that smells of desperation and BigLaw doesn't like that (especially since I have no offers to leverage) :?.

I want this process to be over :(.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Finished my CB week with no offers in hand (though at least 2 of the regional firms said hiring committee isn't even meeting until October). Jumping on board and thinking of just telling my first choice firm that if they were to give me an offer I would take it immediately (which I would)... but then again, that smells of desperation and BigLaw doesn't like that (especially since I have no offers to leverage) :?.

I did this with my first choice firm. It's a V10 satellite office that only has 4-6 SAs each year. In a thank you note, I told them that after much consideration, I greatly enjoyed my CB and if I were to be offered a SA position I would certainly accept. The hiring partner wrote back to me thanking me for my message and said that the hiring committee would meet soon and would get back to me promptly. He called me the next day and I accepted on the spot.

If articulated correctly, it does not come across as desperate at all; it comes across as enthusiastic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finished my CB week with no offers in hand (though at least 2 of the regional firms said hiring committee isn't even meeting until October). Jumping on board and thinking of just telling my first choice firm that if they were to give me an offer I would take it immediately (which I would)... but then again, that smells of desperation and BigLaw doesn't like that (especially since I have no offers to leverage) :?.

I did this with my first choice firm. In a thank you note, I told them that after much consideration, I greatly enjoyed my CB and if I were to be offered a SA position I would certainly accept. The hiring partner wrote back to me thanking me for my message and said that the hiring committee would meet soon and would get back to me promptly. He called me the next day and I accepted on the spot.

If articulated correctly, it does not come across as desperate at all; it comes across as enthusiastic.

+1, except I let this happen during appropriate interview moments w/ my #1. Hiring connections (V20) have really emphasized to me that, while making such strong statements is fine, it's extremely important to remain credible. Apparently, sounding fake is a common problem for those who take this approach. Sorry if that's obvious-- just thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps. I wish you the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I did this with my first choice firm. It's a V10 satellite office that only has 4-6 SAs each year. In a thank you note, I told them that after much consideration, I greatly enjoyed my CB and if I were to be offered a SA position I would certainly accept. The hiring partner wrote back to me thanking me for my message and said that the hiring committee would meet soon and would get back to me promptly. He called me the next day and I accepted on the spot.

Did you write the "thank you" to the recruiter? Or did you meet with the hiring partner during your interview? I just had the CB yesterday, so a "thank you" to whoever would still be appropriate, though the hiring partner was not one of my interviewers.

(As to the other poster who commented -- I also mentioned a couple of brief times when appropriate during the interview that said firm was my #1 bid at OCI -- which it was -- and when asked why, I gave pretty specific reasons; so maybe that is enough and I don't want to overkill it).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I did this with my first choice firm. In a thank you note, I told them that after much consideration, I greatly enjoyed my CB and if I were to be offered a SA position I would certainly accept. The hiring partner wrote back to me thanking me for my message and said that the hiring committee would meet soon and would get back to me promptly. He called me the next day and I accepted on the spot.

+1, except I let this happen during appropriate interview moments w/ my #1. Hiring connections (V20) have really emphasized to me that, while making such strong statements is fine, it's extremely important to remain credible. Apparently, sounding fake is a common problem for those who take this approach. Sorry if that's obvious-- just thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps. I wish you the best.

I articulated I would accept if offered the position in my thank you note to the hiring partner and received an offer shortly thereafter. I think it is much better in a thank you note to the hiring partner than during the interviews. For me at least, during the callback I wasn't 100% sure who was my favorite firm (my favorite firm was not my top ranked firm). It only became apparent to me after all my callbacks were over and I had reflected some. Saying they are your favorite and you would accept if offered during the interview to me sounds like you base it on ranking and not other factors-even if this isn't true. If you do it artfully and enthusiastically in a thank you note you can remind them of something in the interview, show some more research, and say you'd accept with them after having already considered the firm further. Also, only say it if you really mean it. If you wouldn't say I accept during the phone call, then don't say it.

Btw, jumping off this boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I articulated I would accept if offered the position in my thank you note to the hiring partner and received an offer shortly thereafter. I think it is much better in a thank you note to the hiring partner than during the interviews. For me at least, during the callback I wasn't 100% sure who was my favorite firm (my favorite firm was not my top ranked firm). It only became apparent to me after all my callbacks were over and I had reflected some. Saying they are your favorite and you would accept if offered during the interview to me sounds like you base it on ranking and not other factors-even if this isn't true. If you do it artfully and enthusiastically in a thank you note you can remind them of something in the interview, show some more research, and say you'd accept with them after having already considered the firm further. Also, only say it if you really mean it. If you wouldn't say I accept during the phone call, then don't say it.

My only question was whether or not you met with the hiring partner during the interview. I don't want to randomly e-mail the hiring partner since I feel like that's kind of weird. I assume from your response that you did, so I don't think your tactic is something I can actually do. But congrats on your offer.

I also don't care about Vault ranking at all, and none of my reasons for bidding this firm high on OCI had to do with Vault (and the firm doesn't even have a particularly high Vault rank); it had to do with practice areas and significant research prior to OCI about the firm culture. Yesterday's interview confirmed that my initial instincts were correct and I had a feeling I would be a good "fit" with the firm. (Believe me, there were other firms that certain surprised me both positively and negatively).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I articulated I would accept if offered the position in my thank you note to the hiring partner and received an offer shortly thereafter. I think it is much better in a thank you note to the hiring partner than during the interviews. For me at least, during the callback I wasn't 100% sure who was my favorite firm (my favorite firm was not my top ranked firm). It only became apparent to me after all my callbacks were over and I had reflected some. Saying they are your favorite and you would accept if offered during the interview to me sounds like you base it on ranking and not other factors-even if this isn't true. If you do it artfully and enthusiastically in a thank you note you can remind them of something in the interview, show some more research, and say you'd accept with them after having already considered the firm further. Also, only say it if you really mean it. If you wouldn't say I accept during the phone call, then don't say it.

My only question was whether or not you met with the hiring partner during the interview. I don't want to randomly e-mail the hiring partner since I feel like that's kind of weird. I assume from your response that you did, so I don't think your tactic is something I can actually do. But congrats on your offer.

I also don't care about Vault ranking at all, and none of my reasons for bidding this firm high on OCI had to do with Vault (and the firm doesn't even have a particularly high Vault rank); it had to do with practice areas and significant research prior to OCI about the firm culture. Yesterday's interview confirmed that my initial instincts were correct and I had a feeling I would be a good "fit" with the firm. (Believe me, there were other firms that certain surprised me both positively and negatively).

Sorry, I should have said I met with the hiring partner I e-mailed. Without knowing who you interviewed with, I would suggest going with the recruitment department which will likely get your thank-you note to the hiring committee and thus the hiring partners. However, doing that won't allow you to personalize it as much but you can relate what you just said to them.

I wasn't saying what you personally had done in regards to the firm, but generally saying it during an interview would appear that way to me.

"Caveat: I honestly do not know if this helped/changed the outcome but it certainly did not hurt"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you write the "thank you" to the recruiter? Or did you meet with the hiring partner during your interview? I just had the CB yesterday, so a "thank you" to whoever would still be appropriate, though the hiring partner was not one of my interviewers.

(As to the other poster who commented -- I also mentioned a couple of brief times when appropriate during the interview that said firm was my #1 bid at OCI -- which it was -- and when asked why, I gave pretty specific reasons; so maybe that is enough and I don't want to overkill it).

I think things got muddled with all the anon.

I am the person you quoted originally. The other person who responded to you (above) was not me.

I wrote thank yous to all of my interviewers, which included the head of recruiting. But I only included the "will definitely accept" clause in my note to the hiring partner. If you did not meet with the hiring partner, I see no reason why you cannot say this to the head of recruiting.

Good luck :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:08 am

Didn't meet with either (I met with someone in recruiting, but not the person in charge). Oh well, hopefully things will just work out anyway. Now I just have to wait and keep mailing....

Return to “Legal Employment”