No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:05 am

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When I was filling out the NALP travel forms in the library, one student came to me and said that he had 11 of those to fill out (I only had 5 at the time). I assumed that he already had an offer, and so I started talking about how I just got one that morning. I saw an uneasy expression on his face, and later I found out that he got rejected by all 11. That's the only time I mentioned my offer in the public, and I would never do it again.

oh that's rough. but honestly, who comes up to someone just to say that they have had 11 CBs (because that's what filling out NALP forms corresponds to)?


He and I are facebook friends. I think that it's still commendable for someone to get 11 CBs. Even if he was offer-less, he should still be proud of it.

(I now actually regret that I put the story here.)

With no offer, the # of CBs is just ego stroking/pissing contest.


I'm more impressed with someone who gets an offer from their 1 or 2 CBs, not the guy who fails to convert almost a dozen times.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:06 am

Grizz wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:It's even worse once you're a 3L who has accepted a permanent offer. The people with jobs go around silently, skipping class when they please. The people with out jobs constantly talk about not having a job while going out of their way to say things like "I KNOW youuuu have a job!"

I just try to avoid the conversation totally...

Just avoid law school and get drunk with townies?



Honestly, this is what I do Wed. - Fri.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:28 am

God I feel horrible. 3 cbs, 2 rejections. Waiting on the last one, but it's been 2+ weeks. I don't even know what to do now; I've mass mailed over 75 firms. MVP, above median.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm more impressed with someone who gets an offer from their 1 or 2 CBs, not the guy who fails to convert almost a dozen times.


Agreed. A CB is no victory in itself. It is merely a step toward the end goal. What is so impressive about getting yourself 1 step away, and failing 11 straight times to reach out and grab what is so close? As the previous poster, I would find it much more impressive for someone to approach it thinking "i only need one shot, because I won't miss if I get it", and then they go out and seize the one opportunity they get.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 am

Is it possible to get an offer a month after the callback?

KMasterFunk
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby KMasterFunk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to get an offer a month after the callback?

Yes, I've received two about a month after the callback. It seems to be more common from firms with smaller summer classes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 am

KMasterFunk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it possible to get an offer a month after the callback?

Yes, I've received two about a month after the callback. It seems to be more common from firms with smaller summer classes.


You honestly just made my night. I really needed some reassurance. Both firms I'm waiting for have extremely small summer classes (4 and 2). I will keep on waiting then...
If you don't mind me asking, did the firms you received offers from already extended offers before you got yours?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:You honestly just made my night. I really needed some reassurance. Both firms I'm waiting for have extremely small summer classes (4 and 2). I will keep on waiting then...
If you don't mind me asking, did the firms you received offers from already extended offers before you got yours?



Which firms/region?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You honestly just made my night. I really needed some reassurance. Both firms I'm waiting for have extremely small summer classes (4 and 2). I will keep on waiting then...
If you don't mind me asking, did the firms you received offers from already extended offers before you got yours?



Which firms/region?


CA, V50-70

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:47 pm

4+ weeks. I feel like I'm waiting for a miracle.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like I'm waiting for a miracle.


You're not alone, buddy. I came into OCI with good stats - better than top 20% of my t10, solid major, and I thought I was a good interviewer. Totally wrong on that last part, and now I'm being forcefed humble pie. Word is bond, if I make it outta this thing with an offer I am going to be so much less arrogant in the future.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel like I'm waiting for a miracle.


You're not alone, buddy. I came into OCI with good stats - better than top 20% of my t10, solid major, and I thought I was a good interviewer. Totally wrong on that last part, and now I'm being forcefed humble pie. Word is bond, if I make it outta this thing with an offer I am going to be so much less arrogant in the future.


How many places are you waiting to hear from?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:12 pm

1 CB where I think things went well and I emailed them telling them I'd definitely accept an offer if they extended one - I had that CB on Wednesday last week. One CB to go. Picked up another screening interview on Friday. Still mass mailing my home market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Just left SullCrom without an offer. I am officially hopping aboard your ship.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:49 pm

3 rejections on the first 3 firms, one CB last week, friend got an offer, I didn't. One CB left, small class size, CB is in October.... so I best explore other options.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Ahoy mateys. I am hopping on board. T25, top 5%, LR. I had 3 screeners at OCI which turned into 0 CBs. I have 3 CBs outside of OCI. I just got a rejection from that CB today. My other 2 CBs are this week.

I am officially very worried.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5%, LR. I had 3 screeners at OCI

Damn. That's pretty shocking. Midwest school? Preselect only system, or some lottery?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:03 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5%, LR. I had 3 screeners at OCI

Damn. That's pretty shocking. Midwest school? Preselect only system, or some lottery?


I'm in a similar situation, top five students, no offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just left SullCrom without an offer. I am officially hopping aboard your ship.


Sorry to hear that. What do you think happened at the CB that lost the offer (I phrase it like that because S&C usually gives 90% offers to their CBs)? First, if you can get to S&C that means you probably have great stats and a great chance at other firms. Second, figure out what that issue was and convert whatever is left to offers!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:06 pm

hey ya'll, jumping on board. 3 cbs, 2 rejections so far. got the latest one in the mail today. the third firm (also my best cb) told me they'd let me know at the beginning of this week and i haven't heard anything yet so i'm guessing bad news is coming in the mail. :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5%, LR. I had 3 screeners at OCI

Damn. That's pretty shocking. Midwest school? Preselect only system, or some lottery?


Seriously, I feel like you could use that postmodern essay generator for cover letters with those stats and get more than 3 screeners.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5%, LR. I had 3 screeners at OCI

Damn. That's pretty shocking. Midwest school? Preselect only system, or some lottery?


I'm in a similar situation, top five students, no offers.

I'm not quite shocked about the prospect of striking out; that can happen to anyone these days.

The small number of screeners was what I was curious about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Has anyone called to follow up? Do recruiters ask you if you have an offer you need to respond to?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some guy was whining that he had just accepted a an offer from a very good firm (forgot the ranking, but NY Big Law) and then got a CB from a resume collect to Slightly Better firm....then he explained how now he probably needed to get a clerkship to get into Even Better Firm....

My response: "Wow, sucks to be you"

Some people are in their own bubble of ego mania.


This sounds like me -- it may have even been me; I've had that exact conversation recently. Except I accepted an offer at a non Vault AmLaw250 firm and then got a V10 CB from resume collect -- so "Slightly Better" doesn't really fit my scenario. But I did mention the clerkship trade-up in the same context...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273475
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Some guy was whining that he had just accepted a an offer from a very good firm (forgot the ranking, but NY Big Law) and then got a CB from a resume collect to Slightly Better firm....then he explained how now he probably needed to get a clerkship to get into Even Better Firm....

My response: "Wow, sucks to be you"

Some people are in their own bubble of ego mania.


This sounds like me -- it may have even been me; I've had that exact conversation recently. Except I accepted an offer at a non Vault AmLaw250 firm and then got a V10 CB from resume collect -- so "Slightly Better" doesn't really fit my scenario. But I did mention the clerkship trade-up in the same context...


you and a hundred other law students are now desperately trying to figure out if this is about you.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.