No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:13 pm

A firm has sent out some rejections but I didn't get one. Should I be hopeful?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Eco wrote:
Honestly, it depends on how awesome you are...no joke. I worked in legal recruiting for 3 years and my last year co-ran the summer program. If you are an AMAZING candidate from a top school, you are fine...if not, you are getting a worse CB seat than if you had called on time. Recruiting directors do not have time to track you down if you never call back, so likely they are not going hate on you for it. You just cost yourself an earlier call back date.

Is it bad to have a late callback rather than earlier?

yeah, if the firm is doing rolling offers then your chances of getting one are smaller the later your callback is.

I think it depends on when you get the callback. if you get a cb and schedule it three weeks later, then your chances aren't as good. but if a firm just gave you a cb now in late sept, I think that means they are seriously considering you as they likely still have spots to fill. imo.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
Eco wrote:
Honestly, it depends on how awesome you are...no joke. I worked in legal recruiting for 3 years and my last year co-ran the summer program. If you are an AMAZING candidate from a top school, you are fine...if not, you are getting a worse CB seat than if you had called on time. Recruiting directors do not have time to track you down if you never call back, so likely they are not going hate on you for it. You just cost yourself an earlier call back date.

Is it bad to have a late callback rather than earlier?

yeah, if the firm is doing rolling offers then your chances of getting one are smaller the later your callback is.

I think it depends on when you get the callback. if you get a cb and schedule it three weeks later, then your chances aren't as good. but if a firm just gave you a cb now in late sept, I think that means they are seriously considering you as they likely still have spots to fill. imo.

I'd agree with this. Firms don't call back unless they think they would actually hire that person. Waste of money and time otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A firm has sent out some rejections but I didn't get one. Should I be hopeful?

I think so. That means they've extended at least some, if not all, of their available offers, but are now waiting to see whether those people will accept/decline. If someone declines, you may be next.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Ahoy Shipmates,

What's a worse feeling, the frantic feeling of hope slipping away as 5:00 approaches and your phone hasn't rung, OR the feeling of dread that festers in the pit of your stomach as you get home to check the mail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ahoy Shipmates,

What's a worse feeling, the frantic feeling of hope slipping away as 5:00 approaches and your phone hasn't rung, OR the feeling of dread that festers in the pit of your stomach as you get home to check the mail?

You just about summed up the last two weeks of my life. But to answer your question, they're both equally nauseating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Much like 2 legs bad, 4 legs good I have mailbox bad, mobile phone good.

Another day of radio silence. Started mass emailing the secondary market this weekend and will finish over the holiday...time to abandon hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:06 pm

4 rejections in the mail. awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:23 pm

never thought I would leave this boat. Only got one CB....but it turned into an offer. V50-70.

I know its hard to read all of those who are jumping ship, but you really need to hold out hope because all it takes is one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4 rejections in the mail. awesome.

I feel you. Just got dinged from firm where I thought I absolutely smoked the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:never thought I would leave this boat. Only got one CB....but it turned into an offer. V50-70.

I know its hard to read all of those who are jumping ship, but you really need to hold out hope because all it takes is one.

Please let this be the case with me, although others have gotten offers from the place according to the internet, so I think I am effed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 pm

how often do you all keep in conversation with a firm after a callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Officially getting on board.

7 screeners
4 dings
3 outstanding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:never thought I would leave this boat. Only got one CB....but it turned into an offer. V50-70.

Please let this be the case with me, although others have gotten offers from the place according to the internet, so I think I am effed.

Same here (although the firm has been radio silent as far as I know). Not sure for how much longer I can hold out hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same here (although the firm has been radio silent as far as I know). Not sure for how much longer I can hold out hope.

Same :( I'm waiting on two more firms. It's been almost a month since my callbacks. Recruiters basically told me I won't hear back unless someone declines. FML

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how often do you all keep in conversation with a firm after a callback?

What does this mean? I emailed thank you letters (which, according to TLS, is not a good idea but whatever) and never received replies. I didn't expect them to reply... The way I see it, there ain't much room for conversation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same :( I'm waiting on two more firms. It's been almost a month since my callbacks. Recruiters basically told me I won't hear back unless someone declines. FML

Which firm? If you are uncomfortable saying the name, what vault range?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm

i'll jump on board...0/3 on CBs so far. I've got 3 left (plus whatever else I can hustle) but it's getting kind of late in the season...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Jumping on board. 24 Screeners --> 2 CBs --> Silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 pm

1 more CB in two days. My last hope :-(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Which firm? If you are uncomfortable saying the name, what vault range?

V50-70

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:44 pm

I got an offer after 3 1/2 weeks! There is hope :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Jumping that ship... only had 1 callback, got the offer. It only takes one bros.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:00 pm

To the people that just got offers, Congrats! Were these NJ firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:01 pm

I wish I were as lucky as you guys... ughhhh

Return to “Legal Employment”