No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:are these firms that are notoriously slow?

Which firms are notoriously slow?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:are these firms that are notoriously slow?

Which firms are notoriously slow?

seward and kissel

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:52 am

I got an offer almost 4 weeks after a callback, from a firm that generally makes offers within a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Legal recruiter of a firm called me about a week after my callback, saying multiple times I was one of the firm's top candidates and the committee had great things to say about me, but the firm needed to be fair and conduct its last set of callbacks before extending offers. It's been one week, and I heard recently the firm extended an offer to a student from another school. Haven't heard of offers from my own school yet. Not sure if this firm extends all offers at once. Haven't gotten a rejection either.

Does this mean I'm out? And do legal recruiters usually leave voicemails like that...?

*Also like to add I followed up today and received no response. :-/

which firm or at least which market

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:wow guys congrats that pretty crazy.. did you follow up with them recently?

A couple of times. I didn't at first because an August 9 interview is early and before they even did OCI interviews. I built a pretty good relationship with the recruiter and that may have helped. I know they at least sit in on those meetings. I just kept in touch with the recruiter and she told me on Monday that the committee was meeting the following day. Offer call right after they met. Really for the 1Ls, go to all of these recruiting events. It helps to speak to these recruiters and follow up with them before OCI season. When they see your name, and your grades are somewhat in the ballpark, you're gonna get interview. I spoke to a recruiter at a V75 that said exactly this. There are so many resumes to sort through that she picks the people she knows first. And then if she has a relationship with them, she'll champion them throughout the process. It doesn't hurt to get to know these people. The emails from your schools telling you about these networking events are annoying but they can go a long way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:wow guys congrats that pretty crazy.. did you follow up with them recently?

A couple of times. I didn't at first because an August 9 interview is early and before they even did OCI interviews. I built a pretty good relationship with the recruiter and that may have helped. I know they at least sit in on those meetings. I just kept in touch with the recruiter and she told me on Monday that the committee was meeting the following day. Offer call right after they met. Really for the 1Ls, go to all of these recruiting events. It helps to speak to these recruiters and follow up with them before OCI season. When they see your name, and your grades are somewhat in the ballpark, you're gonna get interview. I spoke to a recruiter at a V75 that said exactly this. There are so many resumes to sort through that she picks the people she knows first. And then if she has a relationship with them, she'll champion them throughout the process. It doesn't hurt to get to know these people. The emails from your schools telling you about these networking events are annoying but they can go a long way.

Second this. A hiring partner commented to me how nice I was to the recruiter on the phone and that she had really good things to say. Helped turn a screener into a callback on-the-spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am

I can finally jump ship.

V75 offer. Headquartered in my targeted secondary market.

Callback was almost 3 weeks ago.

Don't give up hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can finally jump ship.

V75 offer. Headquartered in my targeted secondary market.

Callback was almost 3 weeks ago.

Don't give up hope.

Wow CONGRATULATIONS! I'm hoping I can jump ship very very soon, though my callback will have been one month ago in 5 days...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Second this. A hiring partner commented to me how nice I was to the recruiter on the phone and that she had really good things to say. Helped turn a screener into a callback on-the-spot.

Same there here, although I'm still waiting to hear if I got an offer -- my callback was almost a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:11 pm

same here, it's been 2 weeks and still waiting to hear from 2 CBs. Anyone heard of offers still being made in Houston? I'm starting to lose hope...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:same here, it's been 2 weeks and still waiting to hear from 2 CBs. Anyone heard of offers still being made in Houston? I'm starting to lose hope...

+1, I'm still waiting on TK Houston. Had a CB early last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:04 pm

4 cb's, 3 rejections so far. waiting to hear from one that was over 3 weeks ago. doesn't look good :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Got a ding in the mail from a screener I did six weeks ago. Thanks for that.

Still waiting to hear from my one callback from last week and I have one more Friday. I think I'm going to get a callback from a firm in a really dreadful state (think Mississippi/Arkansas/West Virginia/Wyoming/Utah), which I had hoped to blow off upon having an offer.

Now... *shudder*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Don't give up!

T14, well below median, non-URM. 10 callbacks since early August (I am supposedly an amazing interviewee). Already have 5 dings. First offer today. V100.

Still waiting for one V5, one V50, and two NLJ250.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Seriously though, I hope all the yapping mongrels beating down the doors of schools not named Yale are READING THIS EFFING THREAD.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm off the boat! Hang in there everyone, don't give up faith!!!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm off the boat! Hang in there everyone, don't give up faith!!!

Congratulations!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Waiting on four firms, all with very small class sizes. What's your guys' take on summer class size? Does it mean there's a lower chance of being hired, or do they just call back fewer people (making the callback more valuable)? Probably varies firm-by-firm, but I figured I'd ask, since this is all I have left. All four are in DC, by the way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting on four firms, all with very small class sizes. What's your guys' take on summer class size? Does it mean there's a lower chance of being hired, or do they just call back fewer people (making the callback more valuable)? Probably varies firm-by-firm, but I figured I'd ask, since this is all I have left. All four are in DC, by the way.

Interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 pm

guys, I am jumpin ship! After going on 8 CBs, I finally got an offer after 3 weeks! I think honestly if you havent heard back, your still in the game. I know multiple people that got offers at this firm who interviewed after I did. Hang in there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Waiting on four firms, all with very small class sizes. What's your guys' take on summer class size? Does it mean there's a lower chance of being hired, or do they just call back fewer people (making the callback more valuable)? Probably varies firm-by-firm, but I figured I'd ask, since this is all I have left. All four are in DC, by the way.

Interested in this as well.

In the South, from my own and others' experiences, it seems to be that firms CB a ton of people for just a few spots. Like a CB to offer ratio around 5:1 - some a little better and definitely some worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 pm

For callbacks that are 3+ weeks, is it better to just wait or follow up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For callbacks that are 3+ weeks, is it better to just wait or follow up?

I'd follow up. Keep your name fresh in their minds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For callbacks that are 3+ weeks, is it better to just wait or follow up?

I followed up yesterday and got a response today. It was a positive one -- recruiter let me know I'm still on the list, but waiting on people to get back to them before extending more offers. Best of luck!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I followed up yesterday and got a response today. It was a positive one -- recruiter let me know I'm still on the list, but waiting on people to get back to them before extending more offers. Best of luck!

along these lines, my friends and I have come to the conclusion that we're basically waiting for others to accept or reject offers before we can get decisions from firms....that seems to make the most sense
i'm not going to say i'm on the USS Worried (this idea makes me laugh :)) but i'm restless know what hiring committees will have decided :D
Last edited by najumobi on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”