No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:01 pm

12 screeners (5 dings so far), 2 CBs (1 ding so far). Had CB with top choice this past week. Every day that I don't hear back I die a little inside. All I need is one...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:56 pm

4 callbacks so far...3 dings, 1 silent for almost 2 weeks. another callback on monday that didn't come from eiw, but small class size.

ccn above median, by the way. holy stressful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Waiting to hear back from two callbacks (crossing my fingers)!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Only 4 screeners (my school is 100% preselect). 1 ding, 1 CB so far. Feeling pretty doomed.

ITE8NY
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby ITE8NY » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Only 4 screeners (my school is 100% preselect). 1 ding, 1 CB so far. Feeling pretty doomed.


100% preselect sounds rough; so do the firms basically just interview the top 10% and the other 90% of the class is left enraged at OCS / their school / fate / etc.?

Seems like a formula for some seriously bad mojo.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hear back from two callbacks (crossing my fingers)!

Same here! Good luck to us :D

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:09 pm

ITE8NY wrote:100% preselect sounds rough; so do the firms basically just interview the top 10% and the other 90% of the class is left enraged at OCS / their school / fate / etc.?

Seems like a formula for some seriously bad mojo.


I don't know why they would be enraged.

(1) The students had to know the career prospects going in (or at least should have known)
(2) Lottery interviews would be a complete waste of time for everybody
(3) Not really career services' fault when it comes to reputation of the school / employers' preferences / students' not-terrific grades

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Hang in there everyone. At UT below median I wasn't feeling too hot about stuff, and my first offer didn't come until a few days ago. Everyone is still in play, and that the first offer is a huge relief is an understatement.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby najumobi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ITE8NY wrote:100% preselect sounds rough; so do the firms basically just interview the top 10% and the other 90% of the class is left enraged at OCS / their school / fate / etc.?

Seems like a formula for some seriously bad mojo.


I don't know why they would be enraged.

(1) The students had to know the career prospects going in (or at least should have known)
(2) Lottery interviews would be a complete waste of time for everybody
(3) Not really career services' fault when it comes to reputation of the school / employers' preferences / students' not-terrific grades

+1 ....i too think that lottery interviews waste everyone's time.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:43 pm

It's not a waste when a firm will actually hire from a wide swathe of the class. But that's only true at a few schools. The way we do it (50% lotto, 50% preselect) I think is fairly solid.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:44 pm

najumobi wrote:+1 ....i too think that lottery interviews waste everyone's time.


I think they are at most schools below, say, the T17 (yeah, I know, arbitrary cutoff). There were a lot of biglaw firms who interviewed at my school's OCI who did only 21 interviews. A lot of these firms have regularly hired at median or below. Preselect just doesn't work very well then. I'm surprised that UVA still hangs onto the system they have in place.

edit: pretty much what Grizz said, yeah

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby najumobi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
najumobi wrote:+1 ....i too think that lottery interviews waste everyone's time.


I think they are at most schools below, say, the T17 (yeah, I know, arbitrary cutoff). There were a lot of biglaw firms who interviewed at my school's OCI who did only 21 interviews. A lot of these firms have regularly hired at median or below. Preselect just doesn't work very well then. I'm surprised that UVA still hangs onto the system they have in place.

ah ic....
also, i don't think top 17 cutoff is completely arbitrary.....at least during the best years for recruits biglaw recruitment approached and definitely included below median students at texas/vandy/usc/ucla, while i don't think that was ever the case with washu, nd, emory, bc, etc...

EDIT: sorry guys for moving this thread off topic.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby beach_terror » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ITE8NY wrote:100% preselect sounds rough; so do the firms basically just interview the top 10% and the other 90% of the class is left enraged at OCS / their school / fate / etc.?

Seems like a formula for some seriously bad mojo.


I don't know why they would be enraged.

(1) The students had to know the career prospects going in (or at least should have known)
(2) Lottery interviews would be a complete waste of time for everybody
(3) Not really career services' fault when it comes to reputation of the school / employers' preferences / students' not-terrific grades

(1) is true for some, but it makes life difficult as a borderline candidate. I missed grading on to LR by an arbitrary number and despite getting a bunch of interviews, it's fucking difficult competing with the same 20 or so kids who all have LR on their resume. Good grades and a secondary is nowhere near as nice looking as good grades and law review.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby keg411 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:22 pm

beach_terror wrote:(1) is true for some, but it makes life difficult as a borderline candidate. I missed grading on to LR by an arbitrary number and despite getting a bunch of interviews, it's fucking difficult competing with the same 20 or so kids who all have LR on their resume. Good grades and a secondary is nowhere near as nice looking as good grades and law review.


Based on what's happened at my old T2, grades >>>> LR. (But that's probably because there is no grade on at all).

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6392
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby 5ky » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:(1) is true for some, but it makes life difficult as a borderline candidate. I missed grading on to LR by an arbitrary number and despite getting a bunch of interviews, it's fucking difficult competing with the same 20 or so kids who all have LR on their resume. Good grades and a secondary is nowhere near as nice looking as good grades and law review.


I'm not sure I understand this. You said you got a bunch of interviews. At that point, the preselect system doesn't really matter -- lottery or preselect, the interview is probably going to go better with LR and good grades than secondary and good grades.

For most schools that use preselect, it's probably going to be the case that it's a very good thing for people with good grades (LR or not), because it should (in theory) get more firms there than would be there in a lottery system.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:08 pm

keg411 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:(1) is true for some, but it makes life difficult as a borderline candidate. I missed grading on to LR by an arbitrary number and despite getting a bunch of interviews, it's fucking difficult competing with the same 20 or so kids who all have LR on their resume. Good grades and a secondary is nowhere near as nice looking as good grades and law review.


Based on what's happened at my old T2, grades >>>> LR. (But that's probably because there is no grade on at all).

30 or so grade on at my school, and then 2-3 write on.

5ky wrote:
beach_terror wrote:(1) is true for some, but it makes life difficult as a borderline candidate. I missed grading on to LR by an arbitrary number and despite getting a bunch of interviews, it's fucking difficult competing with the same 20 or so kids who all have LR on their resume. Good grades and a secondary is nowhere near as nice looking as good grades and law review.


I'm not sure I understand this. You said you got a bunch of interviews. At that point, the preselect system doesn't really matter -- lottery or preselect, the interview is probably going to go better with LR and good grades than secondary and good grades.

For most schools that use preselect, it's probably going to be the case that it's a very good thing for people with good grades (LR or not), because it should (in theory) get more firms there than would be there in a lottery system.

I don't really follow. It's definitely a good thing that we do preselect, but it certainly has its downfalls. I'm just venting because I feel like I'm in a second tier of applicants compared to my LR classmates.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby beach_terror » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Woops, the above is me. Accidental anon.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6392
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby 5ky » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 pm

I just meant that it didn't really seem like the preselect system had anything to do with your relative hardship, I think. If you had substantially fewer interviews, then yeah, definitely.

Preselect here at UVA is a real gamble, that's for sure. The people below median are surely put in a harder spot because of it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hear back from two callbacks (crossing my fingers)!


In the same boat, good luck to both of us!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:55 pm

ITE8NY wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Only 4 screeners (my school is 100% preselect). 1 ding, 1 CB so far. Feeling pretty doomed.


100% preselect sounds rough; so do the firms basically just interview the top 10% and the other 90% of the class is left enraged at OCS / their school / fate / etc.?

Seems like a formula for some seriously bad mojo.


Anon who you responded to here.

Surprisingly, the firms seem to be slightly more holistic than you suggest- I'm top 10% and got fewer interviews than several peers in top 25% or so. As far as I can tell, nobody outside of the top quarter got any interviews at all though. Confirming other comments here, I'm at a T2 school and I agree that lottery screeners would be a huge waste of time here- firms pretty much just check in here to skim the top of the class for any diamonds in the rough. There are plenty of higher-ranked schools in the region to choose from.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from my awkward callback firm. Did not fit in at all. But I wrangled another callback so it evens somewhat. So waiting to hear from 6/7 CBs completed with 2 more callbacks coming up. All below the Mason Dixon.

This guy. OFFERSECURE in hometown. Off the ship. Best of luck to y'all

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from my awkward callback firm. Did not fit in at all. But I wrangled another callback so it evens somewhat. So waiting to hear from 6/7 CBs completed with 2 more callbacks coming up. All below the Mason Dixon.

This guy. OFFERSECURE in hometown. Off the ship. Best of luck to y'all


Congrats, which market below the Mason-Dixon? Hoping they all start moving soon...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from my awkward callback firm. Did not fit in at all. But I wrangled another callback so it evens somewhat. So waiting to hear from 6/7 CBs completed with 2 more callbacks coming up. All below the Mason Dixon.

This guy. OFFERSECURE in hometown. Off the ship. Best of luck to y'all


Congrats, which market below the Mason-Dixon? Hoping they all start moving soon...

Central FL. I think I was part off the first wave of offers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273574
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Had a CB in secondary market a month ago. Have tried to follow up with recruiter but no response. Partner told me after interview that they'll make decisions as they move through September. If I follow up with that partner, should I say i've tried to get in touch with recruiter, or just ask if partner knows anything?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB in secondary market a month ago. Have tried to follow up with recruiter but no response. Partner told me after interview that they'll make decisions as they move through September. If I follow up with that partner, should I say i've tried to get in touch with recruiter, or just ask if partner knows anything?

I'd wait unless you have an offer in hand.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.