No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 pm

TTT in major market, 3.84 gpa, LR.

7 OCI screening interviews. 2 dings, 1 CB (today). Silence from the other 4, and it's been three weeks since the screening interviews. No offers. Oh and all responses to mass mailer have been dings as well, but I guess that was kinda expected.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 pm

T25, top 5% and secondary journal. 16 interviews, 6 callbacks, 6 screener dings, 4 callback dings, waiting on 6 screeners, and a partridge in a pear tree. But no offer. The two remaining callbacks were almost certainly dings; I thought they went well, but they were both last week. Super worried at this point, so I'm going to start spraying resumes everywhere over the weekend.

I spent the past 5 hours or so putting together a list of firms (roughly 40) to mass mail. I think I've run into difficulties because I'm not looking in a major market. I also suffer from good grades/vanilla everything else syndrome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 pm

I had 13 screners, and have 4 call backs that haven't happened yet. Only 2 official sings. Some you guys are tweaking too early have faith

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:13 am

30 screeners, 9 callbacks, 4 callbacks completed so far. complete radio silence. :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a similar boat. I've done 9 callbacks, gotten 3 rejections, and I have 5 more callbacks to go. Even though I still have a bunch left, I'm starting to freak out a little.


Up for 4 rejections! I officially feel like shit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Midwest T1
Top 20%
Secondary journal

12 OCI screeners / 1 CB / 7 dings

Not too surprising given my stats but still freaking the fuck out!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have done eight callbacks, zero offers and two dings so far. Both dings came from places where I felt like the interview went well. Not really sure what to make of it.

All but one of the firms I've yet to hear from have given offers since my CB. I know I'm not out yet, but there are some pretty ominous storm clouds on the horizon. Feel free to commiserate/bitch/relieve stress in this thread. Alternatively, you can brag about having many, many offers and rub it in our faces.


OP here. Got ding #3 in the mail this afternoon. Still have four CB's scheduled, but wondering what the hell I am doing wrong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:46 pm

T25 practically top10% no journal

25 OCI Screeners + 2 Simplicity

5 CBs (still waiting for word from the last few screeners)

1 CB last week, no word, but it was a group CB and as of Friday there was silence.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5% and secondary journal. 16 interviews, 6 callbacks, 6 screener dings, 4 callback dings, waiting on 6 screeners, and a partridge in a pear tree. But no offer. The two remaining callbacks were almost certainly dings; I thought they went well, but they were both last week. Super worried at this point, so I'm going to start spraying resumes everywhere over the weekend.

I spent the past 5 hours or so putting together a list of firms (roughly 40) to mass mail. I think I've run into difficulties because I'm not looking in a major market. I also suffer from good grades/vanilla everything else syndrome.


hahahhahahahhaha, two more post-cb rejections today and I just realized why. I may have a case of good grades/vanilla other stuff, but I also have A COMPLETELY BLATANT RESUME ERROR. It's so blatant that it would instantly identify me, but I'll just leave it at the fact that anyone who looked (instead of skimmed) my resume would instantly spot it. Explains why I'm getting lots of screeners, but terrible luck post-screener. Good job me/career services. Real stellar job proofing my resume! Fortunately, I caught the error before I started mass-mailings. Don't be me kids!

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby daesonesb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have done eight callbacks, zero offers and two dings so far. Both dings came from places where I felt like the interview went well. Not really sure what to make of it.

All but one of the firms I've yet to hear from have given offers since my CB. I know I'm not out yet, but there are some pretty ominous storm clouds on the horizon. Feel free to commiserate/bitch/relieve stress in this thread. Alternatively, you can brag about having many, many offers and rub it in our faces.


OP here. Got ding #3 in the mail this afternoon. Still have four CB's scheduled, but wondering what the hell I am doing wrong.



Maybe read some other threads on interviewing? I was going to post a list of advice, but i realize you might not appreciate it. Really, you need to have a pretty meticulous battle plan going into these.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:07 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have done eight callbacks, zero offers and two dings so far. Both dings came from places where I felt like the interview went well. Not really sure what to make of it.

All but one of the firms I've yet to hear from have given offers since my CB. I know I'm not out yet, but there are some pretty ominous storm clouds on the horizon. Feel free to commiserate/bitch/relieve stress in this thread. Alternatively, you can brag about having many, many offers and rub it in our faces.


OP here. Got ding #3 in the mail this afternoon. Still have four CB's scheduled, but wondering what the hell I am doing wrong.



Maybe read some other threads on interviewing? I was going to post a list of advice, but i realize you might not appreciate it. Really, you need to have a pretty meticulous battle plan going into these.


Been there done that, not sure why you felt the need to take a condescending tone. I spent the entire summer more or less obsessing over the job hunt and got about ten out of roughly fourteen CB's through hustling/mailing/networking this summer. If I had to guess, the following are some reasons for my less than spectacular results to date:

(1) I don't have a natural home market (I'm from a state that gets about five electoral votes and have no desire to return)

(2) My school's OCI (low tier 1) is something of a joke and firms here are deathly afraid you'll bolt at the first opportunity if you're not a native of the state (I'm not)

(3) Of the CB's I've done, exactly one is for an office that will be hiring double-digit SA's (I think this is actually a huge factor- one of them told me they'd be bringing in ten kids to interview for two spots)

Killer grades/outgoing personality/decent looking human being, so I'm confident SOMETHING will eventually work out. Just scared shitless in the meantime.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5% and secondary journal. 16 interviews, 6 callbacks, 6 screener dings, 4 callback dings, waiting on 6 screeners, and a partridge in a pear tree. But no offer. The two remaining callbacks were almost certainly dings; I thought they went well, but they were both last week. Super worried at this point, so I'm going to start spraying resumes everywhere over the weekend.

I spent the past 5 hours or so putting together a list of firms (roughly 40) to mass mail. I think I've run into difficulties because I'm not looking in a major market. I also suffer from good grades/vanilla everything else syndrome.


hahahhahahahhaha, two more post-cb rejections today and I just realized why. I may have a case of good grades/vanilla other stuff, but I also have A COMPLETELY BLATANT RESUME ERROR. It's so blatant that it would instantly identify me, but I'll just leave it at the fact that anyone who looked (instead of skimmed) my resume would instantly spot it. Explains why I'm getting lots of screeners, but terrible luck post-screener. Good job me/career services. Real stellar job proofing my resume! Fortunately, I caught the error before I started mass-mailings. Don't be me kids!

How bad is the typo? Will a typo really throw you out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:01 am

T1, Top 1/3, LR
12 screeners (incl. OCI and mailing), 2 CBs, 2 dings (from the screeners).

Any thoughts on CB:offer rates at a satellite office with 10-20 attys looking for 1-2 SAs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T1, Top 1/3, LR
12 screeners (incl. OCI and mailing), 2 CBs, 2 dings (from the screeners).

Any thoughts on CB:offer rates at a satellite office with 10-20 attys looking for 1-2 SAs?


I had one screening that yielded a callback at an office like that. They said they were doing about 30 screenings in office, and visiting 5 OCIs according to NALP, to get their callback number (unknown) for one to two SAs.

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby kahechsof » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T1, Top 1/3, LR
12 screeners (incl. OCI and mailing), 2 CBs, 2 dings (from the screeners).

Any thoughts on CB:offer rates at a satellite office with 10-20 attys looking for 1-2 SAs?


I had one screening that yielded a callback at an office like that. They said they were doing about 30 screenings in office, and visiting 5 OCIs according to NALP, to get their callback number (unknown) for one to two SAs.


What really counts is not the target number of SA's but the number of offers they intend to give out to get to that number.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5% and secondary journal. 16 interviews, 6 callbacks, 6 screener dings, 4 callback dings, waiting on 6 screeners, and a partridge in a pear tree. But no offer. The two remaining callbacks were almost certainly dings; I thought they went well, but they were both last week. Super worried at this point, so I'm going to start spraying resumes everywhere over the weekend.

I spent the past 5 hours or so putting together a list of firms (roughly 40) to mass mail. I think I've run into difficulties because I'm not looking in a major market. I also suffer from good grades/vanilla everything else syndrome.


hahahhahahahhaha, two more post-cb rejections today and I just realized why. I may have a case of good grades/vanilla other stuff, but I also have A COMPLETELY BLATANT RESUME ERROR. It's so blatant that it would instantly identify me, but I'll just leave it at the fact that anyone who looked (instead of skimmed) my resume would instantly spot it. Explains why I'm getting lots of screeners, but terrible luck post-screener. Good job me/career services. Real stellar job proofing my resume! Fortunately, I caught the error before I started mass-mailings. Don't be me kids!

How bad is the typo? Will a typo really throw you out?


Activity #1
Description of Activity #1

Activity #2
Description of Activity #1

They're both tutoring things, so the first sentence is ok, if slightly nonsensical, but the second makes it blatantly obvious.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:23 pm

I literally can't walk around without unconsciously gritting my teeth; I've never been depressed before but I am now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T25, top 5% and secondary journal. 16 interviews, 6 callbacks, 6 screener dings, 4 callback dings, waiting on 6 screeners, and a partridge in a pear tree. But no offer. The two remaining callbacks were almost certainly dings; I thought they went well, but they were both last week. Super worried at this point, so I'm going to start spraying resumes everywhere over the weekend.

I spent the past 5 hours or so putting together a list of firms (roughly 40) to mass mail. I think I've run into difficulties because I'm not looking in a major market. I also suffer from good grades/vanilla everything else syndrome.


hahahhahahahhaha, two more post-cb rejections today and I just realized why. I may have a case of good grades/vanilla other stuff, but I also have A COMPLETELY BLATANT RESUME ERROR. It's so blatant that it would instantly identify me, but I'll just leave it at the fact that anyone who looked (instead of skimmed) my resume would instantly spot it. Explains why I'm getting lots of screeners, but terrible luck post-screener. Good job me/career services. Real stellar job proofing my resume! Fortunately, I caught the error before I started mass-mailings. Don't be me kids!

How bad is the typo? Will a typo really throw you out?


Activity #1
Description of Activity #1

Activity #2
Description of Activity #1

They're both tutoring things, so the first sentence is ok, if slightly nonsensical, but the second makes it blatantly obvious.


You still got 6 callbacks. I guess those interviewers didn't read your resume?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Most of you guys really need to calm down. Unless all of your CB/Screeners/mass mails have already comeback as rejections, you are still in it. This point of the year is pretty early for offers to go out. Last year offers were still going out mid-October. The stress is understandable and it is a very tough market. But "OMG I had a screener two days ago and SILENCE! Panic!" is ridiculous.

Also, the "Have we figured out the GPA biglaw cutoff for this year" is unanswerable. It depends on the firm, the school you are coming from, and intangibles. Even among firms there can be variation in summer class GPAs.

(I was a BigLaw Summer Associate this summer, so my knowledge is limited, but I know that it is too early to panic or give up hope. And even if you don't get biglaw, your life isn't over.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:52 pm

[Nevermind, I failed kindergarden]

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:[Nevermind, I failed kindergarden]


On what planet?

upperdarby
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby upperdarby » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Prior to lawschool, did you guys read up on how abysmal the job market is? Did you think those stories were a joke and that "nah, that won't happen to me." Didn't you ever check out JDUnderground and the scamblogs and think "gee, wonder why almost everything I read about this industry is negative/depressing"?

My advice is to drop out if you get dinged my biglaw. Outside the big money there is nothing worthwhile in this industry.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby daesonesb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have done eight callbacks, zero offers and two dings so far. Both dings came from places where I felt like the interview went well. Not really sure what to make of it.

All but one of the firms I've yet to hear from have given offers since my CB. I know I'm not out yet, but there are some pretty ominous storm clouds on the horizon. Feel free to commiserate/bitch/relieve stress in this thread. Alternatively, you can brag about having many, many offers and rub it in our faces.


OP here. Got ding #3 in the mail this afternoon. Still have four CB's scheduled, but wondering what the hell I am doing wrong.



Maybe read some other threads on interviewing? I was going to post a list of advice, but i realize you might not appreciate it. Really, you need to have a pretty meticulous battle plan going into these.


Been there done that, not sure why you felt the need to take a condescending tone. I spent the entire summer more or less obsessing over the job hunt and got about ten out of roughly fourteen CB's through hustling/mailing/networking this summer. If I had to guess, the following are some reasons for my less than spectacular results to date:

(1) I don't have a natural home market (I'm from a state that gets about five electoral votes and have no desire to return)

(2) My school's OCI (low tier 1) is something of a joke and firms here are deathly afraid you'll bolt at the first opportunity if you're not a native of the state (I'm not)

(3) Of the CB's I've done, exactly one is for an office that will be hiring double-digit SA's (I think this is actually a huge factor- one of them told me they'd be bringing in ten kids to interview for two spots)

Killer grades/outgoing personality/decent looking human being, so I'm confident SOMETHING will eventually work out. Just scared shitless in the meantime.


Not trying to be condescending. You obviously had the credentials/skills to get a ton of callbacks, and I was just trying to square that with what you are perceiving as a lack of success. I think it is far too early for you to be worried. Offers for people at lower ranked schools, or with lesser grades, don't come out as quickly. We are the second and third choice candidates of the CB process and must wait accordingly. You've got a couple more weeks before you need to start really worrying.

Also, I don't think SA class size will indicate chances. Firms with small SA classes tend to call back far fewer candidates than large firms. I went to a double digit SA class firm who I know was calling back at least 5-6 times the amount of spots they had. The thing is, they will end up offering at a rate of about 40% anyway, just because so many will turn them down with multiple offers.

Anyway, I'm sure if you're a great personality with great grades, you aren't going to have trouble in the long run.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Grizz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:12 pm

10 CBs for 2 slots sounds normal. They may have to give out 6 offers to fill those slots.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm at a Top 20 school, with a 3.3x. I'm probably in the top 40%. I had very very few OCI screeners but ended up with an offer at a V100 in a major non-NY market. There is hope.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.