No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Just got a clerkship about a week and a half ago. Its a mid/high level state clerkship in the state I want to practice in, and after doing a bunch of networking in the area I feel like it is really going to open doors for me for jobs for the year after.

I just wanted to share this so that everyone would know there is still hope! There are plenty of great jobs out there, you just have to keep looking and keep working. Over the last year and a half or so I have applied for approximately 1100 jobs, that includes two sets of OCI, and a bunch of mass mailing. Maybe some of the problem was that I wasn't doing it right and was just scattering my resume everywhere I could.

But I did a bunch of informational interviewing in places I was thinking of practicing in, decided which I liked best, and then did everything I could to make as many connections and apply for as many jobs there as I could.

In the end, it worked out. It may not be big law straight out of school, but I think that if I work hard I could move up to a higher level clerkship the next year, or to a nice mid-sized firm and do well for myself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:20 am

Offer, yesterday. IP boutique.

Never give up guys. Keep doing the mass mailings, then following up with a phone call to the hiring contact.

So glad to be off this ship! Good luck to those still on it!

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Offer, yesterday. IP boutique.

Never give up guys. Keep doing the mass mailings, then following up with a phone call to the hiring contact.

Congrats! Which boutique?

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer, yesterday. IP boutique.

Congrats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:54 am

3L at Top 40. Employer threw out the "O" word yesterday as something that might be in my future. Very excited!

I admit I am a little surprised considering that the position would be as assistant in-house counsel, working under two other attorneys. Hope it pans out!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:58 am

Hustled some more applications in between my finals and got two interviews set up in home market over break. One mid-law and one boutique firm. Pacific NW. Next semester would be incredibly awesome with a job already lined up when it starts. Fingers crossed to the max...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Don't give up. T50 school, median - just got a job offer for a paid summer clerkship with a smaller firm.

I know it sucks sending out all those mass emails, but it only takes one. Got an interview off a random email, did well on the interview, had an email this morning offering me the job.

It's not Biglaw money and it's not quite the field I dreamed of, but it's nice people willing to pay me to do legal work for the summer.

I sent maybe 300 emails to firms, so I know how much rejection after rejection sucks. Keep at it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hustled some more applications in between my finals and got two interviews set up in home market over break. One mid-law and one boutique firm. Pacific NW. Next semester would be incredibly awesome with a job already lined up when it starts. Fingers crossed to the max...

This sounds like 1L...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hustled some more applications in between my finals and got two interviews set up in home market over break. One mid-law and one boutique firm. Pacific NW. Next semester would be incredibly awesome with a job already lined up when it starts. Fingers crossed to the max...

This sounds like 1L...

I'm a 2L, but agreed that it sounds like 1L.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:

This sounds like 1L...

I'm a 2L, but agreed that it sounds like 1L.

Well in that case, best of luck brother

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:53 pm

T10, bottom 10%, received an offer on monday from a call back I had in late november! I am extremely relieved. I know they're getting scarce, but there are still a FEW openings out there guys... gl and try to stay focused on what u gotta do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T10, bottom 10%, received an offer on monday from a call back I had in late november! I am extremely relieved. I know they're getting scarce, but there are still a FEW openings out there guys... gl and try to stay focused on what u gotta do.

CONGRATULATIONS !!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:56 pm

To all you recent offers, I'd suggest updating the final OCI results thread. Too many results from people early in the season with stellar grades.

And congrats to above poaster.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T10, bottom 10%, received an offer on monday from a call back I had in late november! I am extremely relieved. I know they're getting scarce, but there are still a FEW openings out there guys... gl and try to stay focused on what u gotta do.

Mind if I ask which range within T10?

Also any unique factors? URM/IP/Work Experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Grizz wrote:
And congrats to above poaster.

Anonymous User wrote:CONGRATULATIONS !!

Thanks ! :)

johansantana21 wrote:
Mind if I ask which range within T10?

Also any unique factors? URM/IP/Work Experience?

No to IP/URM. I had a legal 1L job, but that isn't out of the ordinary for people on this forum.

I had a connection to their secondary market though (east coast). I won't elaborate further though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:01 pm

LOL i personally think its crazy that firms would rather hire the bottom 10% at a t10 than the top 15% from a t2

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LOL i personally think its crazy that firms would rather hire the bottom 10% at a t10 than the top 15% from a t2

I've been told that I interview really well. I know I wasn't the only candidate they interviewed, they actually made that very clear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LOL i personally think its crazy that firms would rather hire the bottom 10% at a t10 than the top 15% from a t2

Clients don't know there's any difference between the MVP guy that's top 15% and this guy when looking at the website/bio. Most competent people from law school can do the work of a first few years associate, the firm just needs to be able to sell you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 pm

you guys are making a lot of assumptions based on not really knowing anything about the situation, the interviews, or what the firm was looking for. but hey, if it makes you feel better, go for it. this time of year can be stressful for everyone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:34 pm

At that point it was probably about fit, but i'm sure prestige was a part.

Still, Law hiring is pretty lulzy.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:14 am

sick, congrats!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:45 am

While it may or may not make sense (and there are valid arguments on both sides) it's not like you didn't know the score going in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 am

Got an offer from a midsize around a week ago. I informed my last outstanding V-100 about the offer, and the V-100 requested a second writing sample. What could this possibly mean?

On the same note, how do I respond to the midsize for the time being without making it sound like I'm putting the firm as my second choice?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer from a midsize around a week ago. I informed my last outstanding V-100 about the offer, and the V-100 requested a second writing sample. What could this possibly mean?

On the same note, how do I respond to the midsize for the time being without making it sound like I'm putting the firm as my second choice?

If the midsize is a NALP firm, you have 28 days total and don't have to tell them anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:05 am

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer from a midsize around a week ago. I informed my last outstanding V-100 about the offer, and the V-100 requested a second writing sample. What could this possibly mean?

If the midsize is a NALP firm, you have 28 days total and don't have to tell them anything.

It's not -- they gave me a two-week deadline.

Return to “Legal Employment”