No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby traehekat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice. I still have a cb pending, a lawyer in the firm emailed me today and asked my job situation. Technically i do have a summer offer with a consulting company. Would it be wise to say I have an offer I have not committed to leaving out the fact that it is not a law firm?


Why would you leave out that it is not a law firm? I don't really think it matters whether you say it's a law firm or not, I think what matters is if it is reasonable to believe you would actually accept the offer. Since it's an offer for a summer with a consulting firm, and not a Burger King, then I think you are fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:02 am

traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice. I still have a cb pending, a lawyer in the firm emailed me today and asked my job situation. Technically i do have a summer offer with a consulting company. Would it be wise to say I have an offer I have not committed to leaving out the fact that it is not a law firm?


Why would you leave out that it is not a law firm? I don't really think it matters whether you say it's a law firm or not, I think what matters is if it is reasonable to believe you would actually accept the offer. Since it's an offer for a summer with a consulting firm, and not a Burger King, then I think you are fine.


I just thought that if they knew I was considering options outside law they might question my commitment to the profession or something

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby MrAnon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice. I still have a cb pending, a lawyer in the firm emailed me today and asked my job situation. Technically i do have a summer offer with a consulting company. Would it be wise to say I have an offer I have not committed to leaving out the fact that it is not a law firm?


Its fair to tell them you have a job offer for summer, because you do. But tell them you are still in a position to consider other offers if they should arrive.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby MrAnon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice. I still have a cb pending, a lawyer in the firm emailed me today and asked my job situation. Technically i do have a summer offer with a consulting company. Would it be wise to say I have an offer I have not committed to leaving out the fact that it is not a law firm?


Why would you leave out that it is not a law firm? I don't really think it matters whether you say it's a law firm or not, I think what matters is if it is reasonable to believe you would actually accept the offer. Since it's an offer for a summer with a consulting firm, and not a Burger King, then I think you are fine.


I just thought that if they knew I was considering options outside law they might question my commitment to the profession or something


You can always pretend like its legal consulting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:13 am

MrAnon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice. I still have a cb pending, a lawyer in the firm emailed me today and asked my job situation. Technically i do have a summer offer with a consulting company. Would it be wise to say I have an offer I have not committed to leaving out the fact that it is not a law firm?


Its fair to tell them you have a job offer for summer, because you do. But tell them you are still in a position to consider other offers if they should arrive.


so it seems like people think its ok, but will it actually benefit me? Because if it has a negligible effect I rather just leave it out, because I don't want them to think I'm too crafty or something haha

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice. I still have a cb pending, a lawyer in the firm emailed me today and asked my job situation. Technically i do have a summer offer with a consulting company. Would it be wise to say I have an offer I have not committed to leaving out the fact that it is not a law firm?


Why would you leave out that it is not a law firm? I don't really think it matters whether you say it's a law firm or not, I think what matters is if it is reasonable to believe you would actually accept the offer. Since it's an offer for a summer with a consulting firm, and not a Burger King, then I think you are fine.


I just thought that if they knew I was considering options outside law they might question my commitment to the profession or something

"I want to disclose that I have an offer from X, but I would really love to work for [firm] since I would prefer to do law." Done and done.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby traehekat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31 am

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice. I still have a cb pending, a lawyer in the firm emailed me today and asked my job situation. Technically i do have a summer offer with a consulting company. Would it be wise to say I have an offer I have not committed to leaving out the fact that it is not a law firm?


Why would you leave out that it is not a law firm? I don't really think it matters whether you say it's a law firm or not, I think what matters is if it is reasonable to believe you would actually accept the offer. Since it's an offer for a summer with a consulting firm, and not a Burger King, then I think you are fine.


I just thought that if they knew I was considering options outside law they might question my commitment to the profession or something

"I want to disclose that I have an offer from X, but I would really love to work for [firm] since I would prefer to do law." Done and done.


titcr

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:31 pm

^^ I think that is a horrible response. I prefer to "do" law. If you plan to disclose its not a firm, at least word it better. "I prefer to gain experience in the legal field."

I would just write. I do have an outstanding offer, but I am holding off on making a decision as your firm is my first choice.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby monkey85 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Dude(ette?), if the consulting offer is with Bain/BCG/McKinsey/Mercer/Accenture or any other reputable strategy consulting firm - SO much better than law.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby mths » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^ I think that is a horrible response. I prefer to "do" law. If you plan to disclose its not a firm, at least word it better. "I prefer to gain experience in the legal field."

I would just write. I do have an outstanding offer, but I am holding off on making a decision as your firm is my first choice.

this is the right thing to do

if they ask where, then tell them...otherwise don't offer up the info

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:26 pm

mths wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^^ I think that is a horrible response. I prefer to "do" law. If you plan to disclose its not a firm, at least word it better. "I prefer to gain experience in the legal field."

I would just write. I do have an outstanding offer, but I am holding off on making a decision as your firm is my first choice.

this is the right thing to do

if they ask where, then tell them...otherwise don't offer up the info

But what if they ask if he's accepted? I think it's important to indicate it's not a NALP employer, anyway.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby blurbz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Why does it matter if it's not a nalp employer?

As someone said above, OP should just say some derivative of "I have another offer, but I haven't accepted it because you're my top choice." Done. That's what they need.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:41 pm

blurbz wrote:Why does it matter if it's not a nalp employer?

As someone said above, OP should just say some derivative of "I have another offer, but I haven't accepted it because you're my top choice." Done. That's what they need.

Ohhh I thought he had accepted the offer. Back pedal back pedal back pedal.

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby sky7 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 am

monkey85 wrote:Dude(ette?), if the consulting offer is with Bain/BCG/McKinsey/Mercer/Accenture or any other reputable strategy consulting firm - SO much better than law.


Maybe - some don't find the idea of being at a client site across the country every week to be attractive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:08 pm

no offer for summer... manhattan da or small plaintiffs securities firm for spring?

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:no offer for summer... manhattan da or small plaintiffs securities firm for spring?


sweet copy paste dude

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:35 pm

The only thought on my mind is, what the fuck am I going to do? Did I really spend 200,000 to go get a useless education that nobody cares about? How is it that a guy from a supposedly prestigious school with good grades is seen as no big deal in this world anymore? What a disaster.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The only thought on my mind is, what the fuck am I going to do? Did I really spend 200,000 to go get a useless education that nobody cares about? How is it that a guy from a supposedly prestigious school with good grades is seen as no big deal in this world anymore? What a disaster.


If your school is actually prestigious, and you actually came up with decent grades, you can almost certainly find something. Keep hustling. It's unfortunate that our generation saw the great market correction of "Hey, just getting into a reputable school shouldn't guarantee you a free trip to bling-bling-land," but it was sort of inevitable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:19 am

after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!


Congrats. How long ago was the CB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!


Congrats!

User avatar
deebs
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby deebs » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!

Stats? Market?

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby NinerFan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!


That's appropriate for Jimmy V week.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!

Poast in the final OCI results thread?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!


Congrats. How long ago was the CB?


I did the callback on Thursday and got the offer Monday.

deebs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:after struck out in oci, 400 cover letters/apps sent, 4 cbs in total: Just got an offer two days ago. Biglaw.

NEVER FUCKING GIVE UP GUYS!! NEVER!

Stats? Market?


t14, median, secondary journal. Can't tell you which market it is (don't want to out myself), but it is big law and NY pay.

Seriously, don't give up guys. I got so sick of sending cover letters everyday. But keep in mind, you just need one good callback interview to get your offer. Keep fighting!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.