No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:20 pm

what does "you remain under active consideration and we expect to be in touch soon regarding your status" mean.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what does "you remain under active consideration and we expect to be in touch soon regarding your status" mean.

depends, when did you have the callback? if it was over a month ago then you are probably on hold, if it was just the other week you MAY be on hold but they may also still be making decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 pm

traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what does "you remain under active consideration and we expect to be in touch soon regarding your status" mean.

depends, when did you have the callback? if it was over a month ago then you are probably on hold, if it was just the other week you MAY be on hold but they may also still be making decisions.

a week ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:40 am

Posted a month ago about how I was giving up on finding a job for 2L summer. Had two firms I'd sent resumes to offer me CBs out of the blue (November, NYC, v100).

Both firms mailed my rejection letter the same day I was there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Posted a month ago about how I was giving up on finding a job for 2L summer. Had two firms I'd sent resumes to offer me CBs out of the blue (November, NYC, v100).

Ouch. That's awful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Posted a month ago about how I was giving up on finding a job for 2L summer. Had two firms I'd sent resumes to offer me CBs out of the blue (November, NYC, v100).

Ouch. That's awful.

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up, at least you're still getting interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ouch. That's awful.

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up, at least you're still getting interviews.

Thanks. I'm just really tired of getting the rejection letters saying "We don't have a spot for you, but we know you'll have a great legal career anyway." No, I won't. I've been fighting the urge to drop out and go back to working retail for the last two months, and I don't know how much longer I can keep this up.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:34 am

Sorry bro. Any reason why so many rejections post-CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:36 am

Grizz wrote:

People give me CBs when they aren't even actively hiring because I have almost perfect grades from a T1.

Then they mail my ding letter before I leave the office because I (apparently) have shitty interview skills. Good thing that OCS keeps telling me I'm a great interviewer when I go to them for honest feedback.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:

People give me CBs when they aren't even actively hiring because I have almost perfect grades from a T1.

Then they mail my ding letter before I leave the office because I (apparently) have shitty interview skills. Good thing that OCS keeps telling me I'm a great interviewer when I go to them for honest feedback.

OCS told me the same thing. I went to a prof I was close with and he gave me much more honest feedback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:12 am

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:

OCS told me the same thing. I went to a prof I was close with and he gave me much more honest feedback.

You did a practice interview with a professor, or just talked to him about it?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

Kinda both. He was a former biglaw associate. I told him I wanted a biglaw job and that while I got the interviews, I wasn't getting callbacks, and that I wanted to pick his brain about biglaw hiring. so at the meeting he asked me to respond to some typical questions, and told me pretty bluntly which answers weren't good, what I needed to work on, what they want to hear, etc.

I would suggest finding a professor who has worked fairly recently (like, last 10-15 years or so) in biglaw who you know will give it to you straight without sugar coating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:34 am

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
zomginternets wrote:

Kinda both. He was a former biglaw associate. I told him I wanted a biglaw job and that while I got the interviews, I wasn't getting callbacks, and that I wanted to pick his brain about biglaw hiring. so at the meeting he asked me to respond to some typical questions, and told me pretty bluntly which answers weren't good, what I needed to work on, what they want to hear, etc.

I would suggest finding a professor who has worked fairly recently (like, last 10-15 years or so) in biglaw who you know will give it to you straight without sugar coating.

That's a really good idea. It's probably way too late for me to get a biglaw shot out of it (damn you, biglaw hiring model), and I'm not particularly close to any professors, but I'll start looking at faculty bios.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Finally someone seems interested in me. Applied to regulatory compliance consulting firm's legal department for a large industry in my hometown and got a quick response. Would doing something like this ostracize me from law firm life in general (particularly, would this look good or bad at 3L OCI)? The position is unpaid for the summer, but depending on work quality, can turn into a paid internship 3L and then a job offer at graduation. Am I wrong to finally feel optimistic?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:52 pm

it's their legal department. why not legit?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Got anything better right now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Have a 3rd interview at a firm on Dec 7th. Excellent. This had better be the last one!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Out of 250+ applications, I got 4 interviews and 1 CB. I talked to one of the interviewers later (I had beers with him a few times), and he said I interviewed perfectly. I'm in the top 1% at my school. The only explanation there can be is that my school is TTT.

Anyone know non-shitlaw places that hire TTT students during the 3L cycle?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Just got a rejection from my last biglaw firm because I'm white. I shit you not. Language in the email was clear as to why I wasn't picked compared to other candidates. Awesome.

sasuke

Postby sasuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from my last biglaw firm because I'm white. I shit you not. Language in the email was clear as to why I wasn't picked compared to other candidates. Awesome.

Lol?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from my last biglaw firm because I'm white. I shit you not. Language in the email was clear as to why I wasn't picked compared to other candidates. Awesome.

Cut and paste while anon?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:45 pm

ya, that didn't happen. nice try ,though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Grizz wrote:

I can't be too specific but I'll give you the highlights. Dropped the phrase "someone like me" in reference to my lack of ethnic diversity, stated that if the diversity quota wasn't an issue I would otherwise have it, and that she wished it had been otherwise and was really sorry about how it played out. If it wasn't for the someone like me bit (which immediately followed the diversity part), I may be thinking differently. If someone wants the actual email, I'll pm you on my main, just post and ask for it (if you're someone I don't recognize you wont get it though).

Please don't quote this, I'm going to take it down at some point.

sasuke

Postby sasuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:

I can't be too specific but I'll give you the highlights. Dropped the phrase "someone like me" in reference to my lack of ethnic diversity, stated that if the diversity quota wasn't an issue I would otherwise have it, and that she wished it had been otherwise and was really sorry about how it played out. If it wasn't for the someone like me bit (which immediately followed the diversity part), I may be thinking differently. If someone wants the actual email, I'll pm you on my main, just post and ask for it (if you're someone I don't recognize you wont get it though).

What a weak flame

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:59 pm

sasuke wrote:What a weak flame

Unfortunately I'm not. Mods can probably confirm that I'm a frequent poster on this website with 3k+ posts. If you could edit your post above so I can take it down at some point, I would appreciate it.

Return to “Legal Employment”