No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Getting tugged along by this boat. Got an offer, and turned it down to continue looking, so will be hanging around for a little longer. Good luck everyone.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Getting tugged along by this boat. Got an offer, and turned it down to continue looking, so will be hanging around for a little longer. Good luck everyone.

Why would you do that?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:57 pm

blurbz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Getting tugged along by this boat. Got an offer, and turned it down to continue looking, so will be hanging around for a little longer. Good luck everyone.

Why would you do that?

Also interested in the reasoning ITE and this late in the game.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Tom Hanks started talking to a volleyball; law students start turning down offers.

People do crazy things when they are stranded on/around the high seas for an extended period of time.

EDIT: coconut > volleyball.
Last edited by monkey85 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Wilson was a volleyball, not a coconut.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Grizz wrote:
blurbz wrote:

Why would you do that?

Somewhat weird case. CCN student. Glad got an offer, but it was from a boutique firm that did primarily PI, insurance defense, minor prod liability; and pessimistic about the firm's survival (approx 15 people in office, less than a year old w/ one of two founding partners dead). Decided that in terms of my career, it would be better for me to keep looking and at worse take a govt position again than go w/ this place. Surprisingly, OCS agreed w/ my logic and supported my decision. The firm was also non-NALP, which constrained timing concerns. Decided this was better than burning bridges and creating more detriments than solutions from taking the place. Was difficult decision, and spent a lot of time thinking about it before rejecting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Congrats on not being a pansy. I did the same thing (declined an offer at a regional biglaw firm I hated, but mysteriously got my one and only offer from) because I knew I'd be miserable there. Barring absolutely terrible grades, I think you made the right choice. Gotta take some risks!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:
blurbz wrote:

Why would you do that?

Somewhat weird case. CCN student. Glad got an offer, but it was from a boutique firm that did primarily PI, insurance defense, minor prod liability; and pessimistic about the firm's survival (approx 15 people in office, less than a year old w/ one of two founding partners dead). Decided that in terms of my career, it would be better for me to keep looking and at worse take a govt position again than go w/ this place. Surprisingly, OCS agreed w/ my logic and supported my decision. The firm was also non-NALP, which constrained timing concerns. Decided this was better than burning bridges and creating more detriments than solutions from taking the place. Was difficult decision, and spent a lot of time thinking about it before rejecting.

I'd reject too.

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats on not being a pansy. I did the same thing (declined an offer at a regional biglaw firm I hated, but mysteriously got my one and only offer from) because I knew I'd be miserable there. Barring absolutely terrible grades, I think you made the right choice. Gotta take some risks!

I'd have at least have taken the offer so I could say that I had an offer during 3L lolci. But what's done is done.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Grizz wrote:I'd reject too.

I'd have at least have taken the offer
so I could say that I had an offer during 3L lolci. But what's done is done.

Wut?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:00 pm

mrloblaw wrote:

Wut?

responding to two people

reject the small, personal injury firm

accept the regional biglaw that the other poaster was sure he'd hate so that at least he'd have that on the resume come 3LOLCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Hey f0bolous, let me explain a little further.
I can still say I got an offer, but I chose to decline it for culture/compatibility reasons. That sounds better than saying, "Well, it was a firm in my preferred geographic location and I liked their work, but I declined after a partner openly berated an associate during my interview. I can't remember if that was before or after he said he hated what the firm had become over the past 10 years." True story. The receptionist told me I was too nice to work there after I spent 10 minutes talking to her about her son and his college.

I don't care if that's the only firm willing to hire me, I'm not working there. People say "those kind of firms" don't exist anymore. I beg to differ.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:05 pm

f0bolous wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

Wut?

responding to two people

reject the small, personal injury firm

accept the regional biglaw that the other poaster was sure he'd hate so that at least he'd have that on the resume come 3LOLCI

God, I hate how everyone here is named anonymous poster. I can't ever keep them straight. Could also be that this is the day I spend twelve hours straight in the law building.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats on not being a pansy. I did the same thing (declined an offer at a regional biglaw firm I hated, but mysteriously got my one and only offer from) because I knew I'd be miserable there. Barring absolutely terrible grades, I think you made the right choice. Gotta take some risks!

This decision... seems questionable

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:42 pm

Honestly, if you're at CCN I think you're more or less fine even if you strike out at 2L OCI. That range of schools actually have some options as 3L's, and most midlaw firms would gulp up those students assuming even remotely decent grades and a spot was available. I agree with the decision.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:02 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Honestly, if you're at CCN I think you're more or less fine even if you strike out at 2L OCI. That range of schools actually have some options as 3L's, and most midlaw firms would gulp up those students assuming even remotely decent grades and a spot was available. I agree with the decision.

I don't know a single "midlaw" firm that hires in any of the 3 markets I know well. Unless the person has IP.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 am

IAFG wrote:

Eh, if you're not going to be happy...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:45 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
IAFG wrote:

But for one summer? When there's nothing else on the table? Knowing that having an offer helps for 3L lolci? I dunno, maybe I've been drinking too much TLS kool-aid, but I would have recommended he try to tough it out for the summer and re-evaluate his options with an offer in hand. Unless he realized he really wants to do PI or something else that summering in biglaw is incompatible with.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:15 am

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
IAFG wrote:

But for one summer? When there's nothing else on the table? Knowing that having an offer helps for 3L lolci? I dunno, maybe I've been drinking too much TLS kool-aid, but I would have recommended he try to tough it out for the summer and re-evaluate his options with an offer in hand. Unless he realized he really wants to do PI or something else that summering in biglaw is incompatible with.

This. It just seems the having an offer (the imprimatur of another firm), is crucial for 3L LOLCI.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 am

Grizz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This. It just seems the having an offer (the imprimatur of another firm), is crucial for 3L LOLCI.

Ya turning down offers is so 1%. Occupy that job!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Clerkship interview tomorrow. I've read up on some recent opinions by the Judge but haven't really firmed up any good answers for why I want to clerk, what my career goals are, etc. Ughh. Hate this part.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Clerkship interview tomorrow. I've read up on some recent opinions by the Judge but haven't really firmed up any good answers for why I want to clerk, what my career goals are, etc. Ughh. Hate this part.

Hookers and blow.

I might be mixing clerking up with I-Banking in London, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Oh wise TLS, help me speculate/entertain my hopes for another day... I sent a follow up email to a hiring partner two weeks after a callback, reemphasizing my strong interest in the firm, practice, location etc. He responded the next day with: Thanks for visiting our office. I understand that [Recruiter] will be following up with you shortly. "Shortly" is now 7 hours ago and I still haven't heard anything. Obviously my candidacy is not their top priority, but what do I make of his response + the recruiter's silence all day?

On the one hand it probably means either that they already sent a rejection letter or that they can't be bothered to officially reject me. On the other hand maybe it could mean that they just need to confirm their hiring capacity and that I will hear shortly after that. The recruiter sits in another office of the firm and was cc:d on the original and the reply emails, if that makes any difference.

Enlighten me, please.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Oh wise TLS, help me speculate/entertain my hopes for another day... I sent a follow up email to a hiring partner two weeks after a callback, reemphasizing my strong interest in the firm, practice, location etc. He responded the next day with: Thanks for visiting our office. I understand that [Recruiter] will be following up with you shortly. "Shortly" is now 7 hours ago and I still haven't heard anything. Obviously my candidacy is not their top priority, but what do I make of his response + the recruiter's silence all day?

On the one hand it probably means either that they already sent a rejection letter or that they can't be bothered to officially reject me. On the other hand maybe it could mean that they just need to confirm their hiring capacity and that I will hear shortly after that. The recruiter sits in another office of the firm and was cc:d on the original and the reply emails, if that makes any difference.

Enlighten me, please.

It sounds ding-ish. Not "It was great meeting you" but "thank you for showing up." I hope I am wrong.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Sounds like a ding, but speculating is a waste of time.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Grizz wrote:Sounds like a ding, but speculating is a waste of time.

It's a lot like speculating on LSAT scores, waiting for grades, (and I'm probably like waiting on bar results) in that it's obviously a waste of time, but pretty much everyone does it.

Return to “Legal Employment”