No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

I've done 4 callbacks. Gotten 1 ding. Silence from the others.

Most are in a secondary market where they have small class sizes and, i assume, pretty terrible cb --> offer ratios. I'm scared.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sooo uh whats everyones game plan from here? 0 offers :|
Umm we are 7 days into Sept and you've mailed everywhere you have ties and gotten rejections from everywhere you applied?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Grizz wrote:
Umm we are 7 days into Sept and you've mailed everywhere you have ties and gotten rejections from everywhere you applied?
isn't it too late to mass mail ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:
isn't it too late to mass mail ?
What the fuck else are you gonna do? Lie there and take it like a bitch?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Returning my boarding pass.

5 CB's done, first offer today (lit boutique, my top choice no less).

I'm not sure if networking is worth anything. However, I applied to this firm as a 1L but was dinged after a screening interview. I stayed in touch with the hiring partner throughout the spring and summer. I told him I was disappointed about not to getting a 1L SA position but that I was still very interested in his firm and a 2L position. I think it paid off because they take very small summer classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 am

Got the "we are still interested in you" phone call today from a Southern firm. Damn lazy Southerns always taking forever.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure if networking is worth anything.
Based on my experience, it can really vary on thr firm, and I was a big proponent of networking not all that long ago. Almost every firm I networked with and had a solid interview with = soft ding. All of my CBs (save one) have been with firms I had no ties to and didn't even think the interview went well. Nothing makes sense to me any more.
Last edited by romothesavior on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:52 am

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:isn't it too late to mass mail ?
What the fuck else are you gonna do? Lie there and take it like a bitch?
Yes. Yes, I am actually.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 am

romothesavior wrote:
Based on my experience, its not worth a damn, and I was a big proponent of networking not all that long ago. Almost every firm I networked with and had a solid interview with = soft ding. All of my CBs (save one) have been with firms I had no ties to and didn't even think the interview went well. Nothing makes sense to me any more.
I got a CB at a V5 firm that should have been way out of my reach. I think that talking about my networking with people already at the firm was what won my interviewer over. I think it showed that I had a lot of interest and had a much better idea than my peers on what it means to be a lawyer at this firm. To each their own I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Based on my experience, its not worth a damn, and I was a big proponent of networking not all that long ago. Almost every firm I networked with and had a solid interview with = soft ding. All of my CBs (save one) have been with firms I had no ties to and didn't even think the interview went well. Nothing makes sense to me any more.
I got a CB at a V5 firm that should have been way out of my reach. I think that talking about my networking with people already at the firm was what won my interviewer over. I think it showed that I had a lot of interest and had a much better idea than my peers on what it means to be a lawyer at this firm. To each their own I guess.
Cool story bro, glad it worked for you. I am being cynical, obviously networking is great. I have just seen a lot of people (myself included) build connections and really hit it off with firms, and still get nothing. I have been really surprised at some of the things I have seen during OCI/CB season, which is why I say nothing really makes sense to me with this whole process.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:06 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote: I have been really surprised at some of the things I have seen during OCI/CB season, which is why I say nothing really makes sense to me with this whole process.
This. Everything is not how I expected it to be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Felt like I nailed the shit out of my callback this morning. Still have 3 remaining, but if this one doesn't pan out, I really don't know how I can do any better.

Desperately wanting to get the hell off this boat.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote: I have been really surprised at some of the things I have seen during OCI/CB season, which is why I say nothing really makes sense to me with this whole process.
+1. I figured it was going to be a ton more straightforward than it's been.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Cool story bro, glad it worked for you. I am being cynical, obviously networking is great. I have just seen a lot of people (myself included) build connections and really hit it off with firms, and still get nothing. I have been really surprised at some of the things I have seen during OCI/CB season, which is why I say nothing really makes sense to me with this whole process.
+1 for networking. I didn't really engage, but a good friend of mine did a ton of it last year. Our grades are the same, resumes pretty similar, interview skills about equal. He's getting the quick offers at our reach firms, while I'm dealing completely within our target range, and it's not unlikely that it's because he can create quick connections with interviews and demonstrate a history of interest in the firm by name dropping.

Networking doesn't help if you're already below the cutoffs. Doesn't help if you don't put it to work for yourself. But it doesn't appear to be useless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Felt like I nailed the shit out of my callback this morning. Still have 3 remaining, but if this one doesn't pan out, I really don't know how I can do any better.

This is exactly how I felt yesterday. Nailed my CB and couldnt have gone better, 3 to go, so tired of this.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Felt like I nailed the shit out of my callback this morning. Still have 3 remaining, but if this one doesn't pan out, I really don't know how I can do any better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Fuck past callbacks, all 4 of which I haven't heard from. 4 more left, put the past ones in the past. Each CB is a new opportunity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossem

New

Post by crossem » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How so?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fuck past callbacks, all 4 of which I haven't heard from. 4 more left, put the past ones in the past. Each CB is a new opportunity.
As somebody who ended OCI with only 3 CBs, I always get really worried when people say they've done 4+ CBs so far without a positive response. What kind of firms are you interviewing with?

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:11 pm

I lift up my eyes to the heavens, from whence will by help come? My help is from the L-rd, creator of heaven and earth.

(I take solace in religion. You can call me naive. But I'd rather be happy and naive.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fuck past callbacks, all 4 of which I haven't heard from. 4 more left, put the past ones in the past. Each CB is a new opportunity.
As somebody who ended OCI with only 3 CBs, I always get really worried when people say they've done 4+ CBs so far without a positive response. What kind of firms are you interviewing with?
3 of those are Southern, aka sloooooow. Haven't heard anything, and not really expecting anything yet. And one of those I just did. 1 NYC last week, so should hear soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 of those are Southern, aka sloooooow. Haven't heard anything, and not really expecting anything yet. And one of those I just did. 1 NYC last week, so should hear soon.
So what is the deal with all these people who get more than half a dozen callbacks with no offers? I mean, callbacks are essentially many screeners back-to-back. Are they interviewing with firm that just have incredibly small summer classes? I know that the NYC biglaw firms I'm interviewing with have 50-75% offer rates for callback people. I just don't understand how you can strike out with so many, when the chances are with you once you move past one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Gee, I wonder who this is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Gee, I wonder who this is.
What?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just don't understand how you can strike out with so many, when the chances are with you once you move past one.
Depends on the market you're in and the firms you're interviewing with. I have 4 CBs so far, and the four firms are taking a combined total of 10-14 attorneys. A few of them are calling back waaaay more people than they are offering. One of the firms is calling back about 12 people from my school alone, and they're hiring 2 people. So it is really not that hard to strike out if the conditions are right.

For people with NYC biglaw CBs, I have no idea how you strike out with 6+ CBs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”