No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finally finally off the ship. After 9 CBs (3 dings, 5 MIA, 1 Offer) and on to go, I was starting to worry. As 5 firms are MIA, that means there are certainly spots open. dont give up.
What region?
4 of the MIAs are NorCal.
I'm waiting on NorCal firms... How long ago were your callbacks? When did you hear about your offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Waiting to hear from firms: it's hurts at first, but the longer it goes on the more it just feels like numb indifference, then you just accept your fate. I hear it's similar to freezing to death.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hear from firms: it's hurts at first, but the longer it goes on the more it just feels like numb indifference, then you just accept your fate. I hear it's similar to freezing to death.
:( At least we haven't gotten rejected...?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Waiting to hear from firms: it's hurts at first, but the longer it goes on the more it just feels like numb indifference, then you just accept your fate. I hear it's similar to freezing to death.
This is true, this process is just soul crushing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How long have you been waiting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 weeks, will likely be 2 more before I hear from this final firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
3 weeks, will likely be 2 more before I hear from this final firm.
I've been waiting for almost 5 weeks now. Losing hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:59 am

i was on this boat a few weeks ago. i hope you kids aren't just waiting around. i struck out at oci and got a v20 outside of it by hustling...mass mailing, contacting alums at those firms, following up, etc. i just got 2 requests for interviews as of yesterday for nyc firms. it's late, but not over. keep moving.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:i was on this boat a few weeks ago. i hope you kids aren't just waiting around. i struck out at oci and got a v20 outside of it by hustling...mass mailing, contacting alums at those firms, following up, etc. i just got 2 requests for interviews as of yesterday for nyc firms. it's late, but not over. keep moving.
School? Grades? What did you say in your emails to alumni? Did you outright request their help to get you an interview in your initial communication?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i was on this boat a few weeks ago. i hope you kids aren't just waiting around. i struck out at oci and got a v20 outside of it by hustling...mass mailing, contacting alums at those firms, following up, etc. i just got 2 requests for interviews as of yesterday for nyc firms. it's late, but not over. keep moving.
School? Grades? What did you say in your emails to alumni? Did you outright request their help to get you an interview in your initial communication?
I'm not the poster above, but I got a CB today thanks to Career Services. If you go to a top school, firms that are looking to fill out their classes are starting to call -- and if you have no offers, you want to be on the "list" of students actually given this information since the firms don't want the CSO's to generally disseminate it. (Not saying the firm; but it's a V-ranked firm in a major market).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:58 am

Got off the boat. +2 weeks since my last callback in NY, and I somehow got an offer yesterday. I didn't believe that it would happen, but firms are definitely starting to reach into their pile of "maybes."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

t6, mediocre grades, apparently a horrible interviewer (i also went to career services, by the way, to go over some of my stock answers--i would recommend doing this before you go on more interviews). i think the alumni contact is crucial, though. recruiting may not listen to your calls and emails, but they will usually listen if someone within the firm flags your materials (especially a partner). as for what i said to the alumni...i didn't outright ask them to help me get an interview, but rather framed it as "asking for advice." that is...i'm interested pursuing a position at your firm, i submitted my materials, still haven't heard back, would appreciate your advice on my situation, etc. they'll get it, and if they want to help, they'll put your materials thru to recruiting again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

t6, mediocre grades, apparently a horrible interviewer (i also went to career services, by the way, to go over some of my stock answers--i would recommend doing this before you go on more interviews). i think the alumni contact is crucial, though. recruiting may not listen to your calls and emails, but they will usually listen if someone within the firm flags your materials (especially a partner). as for what i said to the alumni...i didn't outright ask them to help me get an interview, but rather framed it as "asking for advice." that is...i'm interested pursuing a position at your firm, i submitted my materials, still haven't heard back, would appreciate your advice on my situation, etc. they'll get it, and if they want to help, they'll put your materials thru to recruiting again.
same poster as above...i should also note that i didn't wait to contact the alum, even though i said "i still haven't heard back," which may sound as if i'd been waiting around to hear back...don't wait. really.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

same poster as above...i should also note that i didn't wait to contact the alum, even though i said "i still haven't heard back," which may sound as if i'd been waiting around to hear back...don't wait. really.
Are you a school in a major market? I go to a T14 but one that isn't in a major city. I think it is much easier to hustle for interviews if you are in NYC and it is relatively easy (i.e. low cost) for firms to bring you in for an interview at this point. But as someone that is farther away, it seems firms are much more hesitant to act at this stage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Are you a school in a major market? I go to a T14 but one that isn't in a major city. I think it is much easier to hustle for interviews if you are in NYC and it is relatively easy (i.e. low cost) for firms to bring you in for an interview at this point. But as someone that is farther away, it seems firms are much more hesitant to act at this stage.

did you submit your materials again in the alumni email? thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:51 am

this probably has some truth to it. i am in a major market. i'm not sure how far you are from one, but you may want to consider the possibility of getting yourself there, and contacting firms/alumni to let them know (even if it's not booked yet)...i know someone who flew themselves out to an interview and still got the offer. you might even be able to get a straight-to-callback style interview if you're from out of town.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:56 am

Which nyc firms? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i'm assuming that if the alumni is interested in helping you out, they will ask for your materials again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:35 am

Got an email from a hiring partner several weeks after CB saying that the firm was very interested and hoped to let me know soon. Guessing this means I am on hold. Good thing/bad thing?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an email from a hiring partner several weeks after CB saying that the firm was very interested and hoped to let me know soon. Guessing this means I am on hold. Good thing/bad thing?
Of course it's a good thing. You're not rejected, d00d.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i'm assuming that if the alumni is interested in helping you out, they will ask for your materials again.

poster giving the original advice above. i attached my materials from the get go "for their reference." i think the idea at this point is to save as much time as you can. also, to the other person who asked, the firms from yesterday were cahill and gt nyc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:35 pm

And the wait begins for another day...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:06 pm

The waiting is killing me. I know I should just ignore it, and thinking/obsessing about it doesn't help at all, but I feel paralyzed. I can't focus on any of my reading or journal duties. Hell, I can't even sit through a fucking TV show without checking my phone 15 times. The phantom phone vibration in my pocket sometimes wakes me up at night, if I can even get to sleep.

What's the point of giving a shit about schoolwork if I strike out at OCI? I almost feel like I may as well just phone it in from here on out and sink into the median. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The waiting is killing me. I know I should just ignore it, and thinking/obsessing about it doesn't help at all, but I feel paralyzed. I can't focus on any of my reading or journal duties. Hell, I can't even sit through a fucking TV show without checking my phone 15 times. The phantom phone vibration in my pocket sometimes wakes me up at night, if I can even get to sleep.

What's the point of giving a shit about schoolwork if I strike out at OCI? I almost feel like I may as well just phone it in from here on out and sink into the median. :?
lol you will have this exact same feeling if you get an offer, too.

But if you are just going to give up if you don't get a biglaw job and phone it in, drop out of school. Seriously. Save yourself the time and effort and money and anguish. Otherwise, kick yourself in the ass, make a non-firm plan B, and start working towards it. Those are your options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”