No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Grizz wrote:Sounds like a ding, but speculating is a waste of time.
It's a lot like speculating on LSAT scores, waiting for grades, (and I'm probably like waiting on bar results) in that it's obviously a waste of time, but pretty much everyone does it.
I was the anon who asked. I fully agree that it's a complete waste of time, but it's my last hope before I go down with this ship. It's frustrating how not knowing makes it very hard to do anything but sit here and speculate. Just cracked a beer in hopes that it will help me care about studying for finals. Cheers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:41 pm

What are peoples thoughts on if you have not heard back from a firm, follow up and get no response. Is that a ding?

I have yet to hear back from 3 firms. V50, V100 and mid-sized. The mid-sized answered and said I'd know either way by end of the month (meaning 3 days ago). And both the V firms have not responded (e-mailed both recruiter and partner - who originally answered my thank you email).

I am assuming these are all dings. The callbacks were beginning of October. Any chance I am actually on a hold list still? Why not just send the ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are peoples thoughts on if you have not heard back from a firm, follow up and get no response. Is that a ding?

I have yet to hear back from 3 firms. V50, V100 and mid-sized. The mid-sized answered and said I'd know either way by end of the month (meaning 3 days ago). And both the V firms have not responded (e-mailed both recruiter and partner - who originally answered my thank you email).

I am assuming these are all dings. The callbacks were beginning of October. Any chance I am actually on a hold list still? Why not just send the ding?
there's a slight chance you may still be on a hold list. if they were interviewing you in early October than it's possible they extended offers around that time and are still waiting to hear back from people using all of the 28 day deadline. still, it's difficult to imagine many people still holding at this long for some other offer. but, still, it's possible.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are peoples thoughts on if you have not heard back from a firm, follow up and get no response. Is that a ding?

Firm timelines mean jack crap.

In my experience, recruiter silence is a bad sign. My dings were in the mail.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Grizz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote: Eh, if you're not going to be happy...
But for one summer? When there's nothing else on the table? Knowing that having an offer helps for 3L lolci? I dunno, maybe I've been drinking too much TLS kool-aid, but I would have recommended he try to tough it out for the summer and re-evaluate his options with an offer in hand. Unless he realized he really wants to do PI or something else that summering in biglaw is incompatible with.
This. It just seems the having an offer (the imprimatur of another firm), is crucial for 3L LOLCI.
I guess I have a different perspective since I was never really a biglaw person to begin with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:39 pm

Grizz wrote:

Firm timelines mean jack crap.

In my experience, recruiter silence is a bad sign. My dings were in the mail.
OP - I agree 100%, which is why I've accepted them as dings. Only thing is, I followed up by VM and E-mail over 2 weeks ago. Ding still hasnt arrived. Its more annoying than anything. Just respond with a generic ding e-mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:23 am

officially struck out again.

From OCI: 25 Screeners, 3 CBs, 3 rejections
From mass mailing post-OCI: 5 CBs, 5 rejections

pretty down, no idea what went wrong. I'm scheduling a mock interview with my CSO.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:officially struck out again.

pretty down, no idea what went wrong. I'm scheduling a mock interview with my CSO.
Again?

Sorry man/girl.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Grizz wrote:

Again?

Sorry man/girl.
Yup, again. After it looked like I was gonna strike out from OCI I mass mailed. As you can see, I struck out there too. Luckily I'm not biglaw or bust but it would have been nice for the experience, money, and secure employment after graduation.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Again?

Sorry man/girl.
Yup, again. After it looked like I was gonna strike out from OCI I mass mailed. As you can see, I struck out there too. Luckily I'm not biglaw or bust but it would have been nice for the experience, money, and secure employment after graduation.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting.
Also sorry. I did exactly the same thing (although I didn't panic from OCI and start mass mailing until too late), and I know how much it sucks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:57 pm

I interviewed with a NYC V100 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. They didn't give me a time line as to when they would get back to me. Should I be worried that I haven't heard back yet? Is it too early to worry? Help me deal with my stress by pointless speculation! Thanks TLS!

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a NYC V100 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. They didn't give me a time line as to when they would get back to me. Should I be worried that I haven't heard back yet? Is it too early to worry? Help me deal with my stress by pointless speculation! Thanks TLS!
Three days probably means that the hiring committee hasn't even met yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:26 pm

So.... 2 months after a screener from OCI, and I now have a callback for next week.

WTF? I'm excited, but seriously?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So.... 2 months after a screener from OCI, and I now have a callback for next week.

WTF? I'm excited, but seriously?
Your blessings. I suggest counting them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Just got a screener with a biglaw firm for next week. There is hope out there still, especially for the on the margins candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:04 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a NYC V100 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. They didn't give me a time line as to when they would get back to me. Should I be worried that I haven't heard back yet? Is it too early to worry? Help me deal with my stress by pointless speculation! Thanks TLS!
Three days probably means that the hiring committee hasn't even met yet.
That's what I'm hoping is going on. Starting to lose hope though with each passing day. God this process is terrible!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Just got a CB off a resume drop (a month ago) at a midsize firm in a major market. Will be turning it down (already accepted 2 offers).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a screener with a biglaw firm for next week. There is hope out there still, especially for the on the margins candidates.
wat market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a CB off a resume drop (a month ago) at a midsize firm in a major market. Will be turning it down (already accepted 2 offers).
thats when you tell us the firm so we can get off the boat :)

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Grizz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
But for one summer? When there's nothing else on the table? Knowing that having an offer helps for 3L lolci? I dunno, maybe I've been drinking too much TLS kool-aid, but I would have recommended he try to tough it out for the summer and re-evaluate his options with an offer in hand. Unless he realized he really wants to do PI or something else that summering in biglaw is incompatible with.
This. It just seems the having an offer (the imprimatur of another firm), is crucial for 3L LOLCI.
An offer does wonders for getting callbacks during 3L, but not necessarily at OCI. There just aren't that many 3L OCI spots, and targeted mailings and networking also become important.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 pm

run26.2 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
An offer does wonders for getting callbacks during 3L, but not necessarily at OCI. There just aren't that many 3L OCI spots, and targeted mailings and networking also become important.
I meant it in the sense of 3L recruiting generally, but point taken.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a screener with a biglaw firm for next week. There is hope out there still, especially for the on the margins candidates.
wat market?
Medium-sized secondary, sounds like for once I'll be at the top of the applicant pool too because most/all of LR has offers already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Had a clerkship interview today. Judge spoke almost the entire time minus the few questions I asked that he answered. Not quite sure if that's good or bad. He isn't making a decision for a few weeks: Obviously, I'm going to send a thank you letter, but should I use the opportunity to drive home the fact that I really want to be in this court and that they're my #1? I'm having trouble finding a way to say this without it sounding awkward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:49 pm

2L, T20 school here. I am happy to report that there is definitely still hope out there! I just received a phone call yesterday informing me of an offer. I had interviewed and call backed with them through OCI about a month and a half ago and had heard nothing since then.

Good luck to all those still waiting!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:16 pm

So they never said you were hold before then? That makes me feel hopeful! Congrats!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”