No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jumping that ship... only had 1 callback, got the offer. It only takes one bros.
I am hoping to be just like you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:41 pm

On ship. Waiting to hear back from one firm. Been over 2 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:59 pm

feel free to boo me out of this thread if this question is inappropriate, but... as students without offers, how would you like your classmates to treat you?

I don't mean on a daily, interact like normal humans level. I mean, in conversations when everyone is talking about where they are going next summer, what is the best way for your classmates with offers to be sensitive about the issue? Almost every person that I know of at my school who interviewed with firms has an offer, but the few people who don't bring it up all of the time, wanting to talk about exactly how long it's been since they heard from their last CB, how many dings they have received, musing on what the problem could be.

I get it--it's a big deal and probably on their minds 24-7. But I feel like a dick offering advice to them, when they probably know as much as I do and just weren't lucky enough/bid well enough. I definitely can't commiserate with them. Saying things like, "I'm sure firms are still looking!" or, "well, maybe that 4 week silent period isn't a ding" feels patronizing, even though I truly hope that firms are still hiring and that they get an offer. There is no winning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:feel free to boo me out of this thread if this question is inappropriate, but... as students without offers, how would you like your classmates to treat you?

I don't mean on a daily, interact like normal humans level. I mean, in conversations when everyone is talking about where they are going next summer, what is the best way for your classmates with offers to be sensitive about the issue? Almost every person that I know of at my school who interviewed with firms has an offer, but the few people who don't bring it up all of the time, wanting to talk about exactly how long it's been since they heard from their last CB, how many dings they have received, musing on what the problem could be.

I get it--it's a big deal and probably on their minds 24-7. But I feel like a dick offering advice to them, when they probably know as much as I do and just weren't lucky enough/bid well enough. I definitely can't commiserate with them. Saying things like, "I'm sure firms are still looking!" or, "well, maybe that 4 week silent period isn't a ding" feels patronizing, even though I truly hope that firms are still hiring and that they get an offer. There is no winning.
It's like dealing with women; don't try to find a solution, just bitch with them about the process and how arbitrary it can be.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:feel free to boo me out of this thread if this question is inappropriate, but... as students without offers, how would you like your classmates to treat you?

Try to not talk about it ever. Seriously. Best thing I ever did this hiring season. Have told basically no one at my school the extent of my triumphs and travails.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMasterFunk

New

Post by KMasterFunk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Got one today four weeks after the CB after stressing out for weeks straight. It really isn't over until you've heard back from everyone.

RonnieHoward

New

Post by RonnieHoward » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Grizz wrote:

Try to not talk about it ever. Seriously. Best thing I ever did this hiring season. Have told basically no one at my school the extent of my triumphs and travails.
Why do people with no offers at my school keep ask how I'm doing. I tell them I did okay. They want to know if I have an idea where I'm going to be next summer. I tell them the city. They ask which firm. I tell them the V5 I'll be at. Awkward silence. Why does it have to be this way.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I always presumed that talking about offers (or lack thereof) is sort of like talking about money: you just don't do it in polite company. I'm finding that a huge percentage of my classmates disagree, however, from the "LET'S RANK ORDER THE FIRMS WE HAVE OFFERS WITH ^_^" conversations I hear every day.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:13 pm

mrloblaw wrote:I always presumed that talking about offers (or lack thereof) is sort of like talking about money: you just don't do it in polite company. I'm finding that a huge percentage of my classmates disagree, however, from the "LET'S RANK ORDER THE FIRMS WE HAVE OFFERS WITH ^_^" conversations I hear every day.
Maybe it's where I'm at, but everyone is silent. It's better that way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Grizz wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:I always presumed that talking about offers (or lack thereof) is sort of like talking about money: you just don't do it in polite company. I'm finding that a huge percentage of my classmates disagree, however, from the "LET'S RANK ORDER THE FIRMS WE HAVE OFFERS WITH ^_^" conversations I hear every day.
Maybe it's where I'm at, but everyone is silent. It's better that way.
People at my school ALL talk about it. Maybe it's a function of almost everyone either going to a firm or having never even bothered interviewing at firms to begin with? I think people just assume that everyone has an offer, since most people do. I don't ever bring it up (and still have never told a single person at my school my grades) but I'm not going to refuse to answer direct questions about where I am going next summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the people that just got offers, Congrats! Were these NJ firms?
For me it was, in a secondary market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
People at my school ALL talk about it. Maybe it's a function of almost everyone either going to a firm or having never even bothered interviewing at firms to begin with? I think people just assume that everyone has an offer, since most people do.

My experience as well. It really hurt until I had an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Most of my school is offer-less (I am at a lower T1 where Public Interest is the name of the game, so only 20% wanted a firm gig to begin with)...but its very touchy around the L. Rev. office because its about 50/50 on offers.

I guess that makes it better to not have an offer because so many people don't, but it is definitely going to those with offers heads...I really don't have the heart to tell them that at higher ranking schools they are just not that special.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:41 pm

heard a dudebro practically shouting in the journal offices that he wasn't sure which offer he'd take if he didn't get a wachtell CB. even people with offers wanted to smack his face so much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:heard a dudebro practically shouting in the journal offices that he wasn't sure which offer he'd take if he didn't get a wachtell CB.
okay you legit need to say to him, "oh... you haven't heard from them yet? i did my callback two weeks ago and got the offer a few days later. good luck." then smile and scamper off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 pm

When I was filling out the NALP travel forms in the library, one student came to me and said that he had 11 of those to fill out (I only had 5 at the time). I assumed that he already had an offer, and so I started talking about how I just got one that morning. I saw an uneasy expression on his face, and later I found out that he got rejected by all 11. That's the only time I mentioned my offer in the public, and I would never do it again.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

When I was filling out the NALP travel forms in the library, one student came to me and said that he had 11 of those to fill out (I only had 5 at the time). I assumed that he already had an offer, and so I started talking about how I just got one that morning. I saw an uneasy expression on his face, and later I found out that he got rejected by all 11. That's the only time I mentioned my offer in the public, and I would never do it again.
Whoa.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Whoa.
I guess I can even forgive him for mentioning his 11 NALP forms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:51 pm

Some guy was whining that he had just accepted a an offer from a very good firm (forgot the ranking, but NY Big Law) and then got a CB from a resume collect to Slightly Better firm....then he explained how now he probably needed to get a clerkship to get into Even Better Firm....

My response: "Wow, sucks to be you"

Some people are in their own bubble of ego mania.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote: When I was filling out the NALP travel forms in the library, one student came to me and said that he had 11 of those to fill out (I only had 5 at the time). I assumed that he already had an offer, and so I started talking about how I just got one that morning. I saw an uneasy expression on his face, and later I found out that he got rejected by all 11. That's the only time I mentioned my offer in the public, and I would never do it again.
oh that's rough. but honestly, who comes up to someone just to say that they have had 11 CBs (because that's what filling out NALP forms corresponds to)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Grizz wrote:

+1

Don't talk about it, dude

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:59 pm

It's even worse once you're a 3L who has accepted a permanent offer. The people with jobs go around silently, skipping class when they please. The people with out jobs constantly talk about not having a job while going out of their way to say things like "I KNOW youuuu have a job!"

I just try to avoid the conversation totally...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: When I was filling out the NALP travel forms in the library, one student came to me and said that he had 11 of those to fill out (I only had 5 at the time). I assumed that he already had an offer, and so I started talking about how I just got one that morning. I saw an uneasy expression on his face, and later I found out that he got rejected by all 11. That's the only time I mentioned my offer in the public, and I would never do it again.
oh that's rough. but honestly, who comes up to someone just to say that they have had 11 CBs (because that's what filling out NALP forms corresponds to)?
He and I are facebook friends. I think that it's still commendable for someone to get 11 CBs. Even if he was offer-less, he should still be proud of it.

(I now actually regret that I put the story here.)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:03 am

Aqualibrium wrote:It's even worse once you're a 3L who has accepted a permanent offer. The people with jobs go around silently, skipping class when they please. The people with out jobs constantly talk about not having a job while going out of their way to say things like "I KNOW youuuu have a job!"

I just try to avoid the conversation totally...
Just avoid law school and get drunk with townies?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
He and I are facebook friends. I think that it's still commendable for someone to get 11 CBs. Even if he was offer-less, he should still be proud of it.

(I now actually regret that I put the story here.)
With no offer, the # of CBs is just ego stroking/pissing contest.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”