No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:50 pm

I'll jump on. 4 callbacks, no word on any of them. The one I did this afternoon did not go particularly well. I have the last of the 4 next week. This wait is completely fucking killing me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 pm

Waiting to hear back from 6 screeners and 1 CB. One more screener set up two weeks from now, but for an in-house spot...

Dear Firms,

Please call me so I can get some sleep this weekend. Or send me a letter and put me out of my miserable waiting. Fuck.

Kthxbai,
Your everyday desperate T1 student

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Rejected from all...time to start drinking. And I guess give up.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from all...time to start drinking. And I guess give up.
Never give up! Never surrender!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected from all...time to start drinking. And I guess give up.
Never give up! Never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Exactly. Our career services people are PROFOUNDLY unhelpful. When half of the Law Review staff cannot get a job through OCI, at any school, that means there is a serious problem.
Hasn't this been true for a long time for a lot of the T3/4 schools?
Problem is, we're a T1....
Whats the basis for your law review membership? Is it mostly write-on or grade-on? Having Law Review without the top grades might not get people very far in OCI at a t1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:29 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Exactly. Our career services people are PROFOUNDLY unhelpful. When half of the Law Review staff cannot get a job through OCI, at any school, that means there is a serious problem.
Whats the basis for your law review membership? Is it mostly write-on or grade-on? Having Law Review without the top grades might not get people very far in OCI at a t1
I was going to ask that too... if there are people below the top 15% or so on LR (or even the top 5-10%) and people in the top 5-10% on secondaries/without LR, that's not shocking at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:31 pm

On a scale of 1-10 how bad is this?

Just realized I had some voicemails I didn't check for the past week and turns out I have a callback with my #1 choice...the voicemail was left 4 days ago. I immediately called back and left a message but it is friday so the recruiter won't hear it till monday most likely. This will be the longest weekend of my life.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sigh, guess I need to lean on ppl for moral support now...23 OCI interviews, 1 CB (I interview badly, I'll admit it), now just waiting...anyone got any advice?

My OCS advisor said I need to start looking at 1L positions...I did not find that to be helpful.
Can 2Ls apply for 1L positions?
i think OCS means the unpaid jobs that 1Ls usually get..
Exactly. Our career services people are PROFOUNDLY unhelpful. When half of the Law Review staff cannot get a job through OCI, at any school, that means there is a serious problem.
A serious problem with what though? the legal market in general? I hate to say it but you probably had fair warning. If anything try to help future generations understand how bad it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:42 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Grade on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a scale of 1-10 how bad is this?

Just realized I had some voicemails I didn't check for the past week and turns out I have a callback with my #1 choice...the voicemail was left 4 days ago. I immediately called back and left a message but it is friday so the recruiter won't hear it till monday most likely. This will be the longest weekend of my life.
Honestly, it depends on how awesome you are...no joke. I worked in legal recruiting for 3 years and my last year co-ran the summer program. If you are an AMAZING candidate from a top school, you are fine...if not, you are getting a worse CB seat than if you had called on time. Recruiting directors do not have time to track you down if you never call back, so likely they are not going hate on you for it. You just cost yourself an earlier call back date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm

MrAnon wrote:
A serious problem with what though? the legal market in general? I hate to say it but you probably had fair warning. If anything try to help future generations understand how bad it is.
Well, I have already told them I have met more evil people in my life at law school than I have met anywhere else, I think I am doing my part to help the good people get out of it. I mean more the fact that OCI is geared towards something that unobtainable for 98% of the students. Why not do something else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:30 pm

I am off the boat but wanted to drop by to give some advice.

Interviewing matters, and even if you think you are a good interviewer, you may not be. This is just one data point but:

0/5 on first 5 callbacks (although still haven't heard from one, likely a ding tho)

After the frustration that ensued, I went to career services for a "practice interview." Never ended up doing an interview, but OCS helped me hash out some GREAT answers to typical / difficult questions and also gave me some other tips.

2/2 on my last callbacks

I definitely changed up my interviewing style but also generally just had better answers and sold myself a lot better.

Anyway, my advice: if you still have interviews coming up, may be worth 30 minutes of your time. Also you commonly hear on TLS that it is difficult to strike out with 6+ CB's and I think this is overstated. I think these posters base the assertion on their school's OCI data and a computation of rate of failure, without taking into account the feast/famine nature of the process.

Don't give up and keep plugging along folks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Lol, how does this even happen?? I (and everyone else I know) have been obsessively checking my phone, voicemails, and emails for weeks...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Lol, how does this even happen?? I (and everyone else I know) have been obsessively checking my phone, voicemails, and emails for weeks...
A combination of being really busy, having an offer in hand, the call coming way after the interview (as in I gave up expecting it) and being flat out stupid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A combination of being really busy, having an offer in hand, the call coming way after the interview (as in I gave up expecting it) and being flat out stupid.
Haha, fair enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:21 pm

It's been 3+ weeks and I didn't get a ding yet. I don't know what to expect anymore.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:42 pm

29 screeners. 4 CBs, dings from the two with decent-sized programs, and silence from the two with 1-2 per office (one of which has already extended two offers that I'm aware of.) Hate my life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's been 3+ weeks and I didn't get a ding yet. I don't know what to expect anymore.
Sounds like you're on the wait-list. Hope that someone declines and that you're up there on the wait-list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:31 am

Just received an offer 4 weeks after the CB, so don't give up hope!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just received an offer 4 weeks after the CB, so don't give up hope!
Do you know if your firm had already extended offers before you got yours?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:23 am

Jumping on board, 2 swings left and 1 of the swings is pitiful

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received an offer 4 weeks after the CB, so don't give up hope!
Do you know if your firm had already extended offers before you got yours?
+1.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Honestly, it depends on how awesome you are...no joke. I worked in legal recruiting for 3 years and my last year co-ran the summer program. If you are an AMAZING candidate from a top school, you are fine...if not, you are getting a worse CB seat than if you had called on time. Recruiting directors do not have time to track you down if you never call back, so likely they are not going hate on you for it. You just cost yourself an earlier call back date.
Is it bad to have a late callback rather than earlier?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:30 pm

Eco wrote:
Is it bad to have a late callback rather than earlier?
yeah, if the firm is doing rolling offers then your chances of getting one are smaller the later your callback is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”