No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JusticeHarlan

Gold

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How am I supposed to study for class and try to hustle a job? Seriously.
Protip: one, but only one, of these two things is not necessary right now. Choose wisely.
try studying for class, going to your internship, writing your note, completing your journal assignments, doing moot court stuff AND trying to hustle for a job. I am about to jump.
Any 1L that complains about the workload in my earshot gets a foot to the groin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:18 am

so i have been reading this thread for a long time b/c i was freaked out!
but i got off the boat yesterday. This was my only offer from a number of firms i interviewed, and it was actually one of the most selective ones as well.
after reading this forum, i began freaking out after the interview b/c other people had received offers much earlier from the same firm, and i was still waiting. sure enough, my offer came. so moral of story: don't get worked over when other people get offers. yours will come in due time.
believe me, i wasn't able to concentrate in school and everything. worrying won't fix it, so just relax and wait.

good luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:so i have been reading this thread for a long time b/c i was freaked out!
but i got off the boat yesterday. This was my only offer from a number of firms i interviewed, and it was actually one of the most selective ones as well.
after reading this forum, i began freaking out after the interview b/c other people had received offers much earlier from the same firm, and i was still waiting. sure enough, my offer came. so moral of story: don't get worked over when other people get offers. yours will come in due time.
believe me, i wasn't able to concentrate in school and everything. worrying won't fix it, so just relax and wait.

good luck everyone!
I second this. Just got my first offer yesterday from a firm that interviewed me around 3 weeks ago. It isn't over guys!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am

Just had my first callback yesterday. Ever since, I jump out of my seat every time my phone vibrates. Ugh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Leaving this ship, but good luck to all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Leaving this ship, but good luck to all.
Goodbye! We'll miss you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm glad to jump ship. This ship stinks.
Good luck to you all. I know how you feel. I felt like that 3 hours ago. Awful.

(The most bizzare part is the offer I got is really a great firm, and was my first choice.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Finally disembarking. I only managed four cbs out of OCI; I am rather shy, and (apparently) a terrible interviewer and this whole process was extremely difficult, stressful and terrifying for me. My first cb was my top choice firm. Afterwards I was sure I had blown it and was about as discouraged/depressed/anxious as I've been at any time in law school. That firm gave me an offer today. Believe me, fellas, if I can do it, you can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Congrats to those off the ship. I'm slowly losing hope. Had 20 screeners - 10 dings, 10 silence and it's been 3 weeks. Went to career services and lady was very surprised as I did mock interviews with her and she thought I did great (she was also prior big law attorney who did recruiting interviews). I'm very social, outgoing, and had many interviews where conversation ended up not law related and thought they went well. No clue why I'm not getting anything which is the worst part. Top 20 school, top 25%, LR. Had 1 CB from mass mailing (4 weeks ago) and have another one next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No clue why I'm not getting anything which is the worst part.
I know what you mean.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to those off the ship. I'm slowly losing hope. Had 20 screeners - 10 dings, 10 silence and it's been 3 weeks. Went to career services and lady was very surprised as I did mock interviews with her and she thought I did great (she was also prior big law attorney who did recruiting interviews). I'm very social, outgoing, and had many interviews where conversation ended up not law related and thought they went well. No clue why I'm not getting anything which is the worst part. Top 20 school, top 25%, LR. Had 1 CB from mass mailing (4 weeks ago) and have another one next week.
with that many screeners, i think it'll still work out for you...plus you have another CB to go :D
one question though....have your interviews and callbacks been for markets you have a connection to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:29 pm

najumobi wrote:with that many screeners, i think it'll still work out for you...plus you have another CB to go :D
one question though....have your interviews and callbacks been for markets you have a connection to?
I hope so - fellow classmate of yours, so I appreciate the encouragement. If you count St. Louis as having ties there, then ties to all but 5, if not, then about half and half.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:29 pm

najumobi wrote: with that many screeners, i think it'll still work out for you...plus you have another CB to go :D
Not quite. I'm also a classmate. Just outside top 1/3, 5 preselects at OCI and 30+ preselects through diversity (not URM though) & IP fairs, 3 CBs, none of them worked out. Now I'm just waiting on a few final screeners and mass mails, otherwise I have officially struck out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally disembarking. I only managed four cbs out of OCI; I am rather shy, and (apparently) a terrible interviewer and this whole process was extremely difficult, stressful and terrifying for me. My first cb was my top choice firm. Afterwards I was sure I had blown it and was about as discouraged/depressed/anxious as I've been at any time in law school. That firm gave me an offer today. Believe me, fellas, if I can do it, you can.
Congratulations! How long did you wait from callback to offer? I am in a similar situation, but have been waiting on early CB / top choice for a couple weeks now . . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 pm

damn it seems like everyone here is from wustl including me.

I am about to jump off the ship and committ suicide.
3L WUSTL top 20% 1 callback 0 interviews oci. 3 interviews from mass mailing. Ive talked to others and everyone has told me that ive actually done really well for 3L oci. lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:46 pm

najumobi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to those off the ship. I'm slowly losing hope. Had 20 screeners - 10 dings, 10 silence and it's been 3 weeks. Went to career services and lady was very surprised as I did mock interviews with her and she thought I did great (she was also prior big law attorney who did recruiting interviews). I'm very social, outgoing, and had many interviews where conversation ended up not law related and thought they went well. No clue why I'm not getting anything which is the worst part. Top 20 school, top 25%, LR. Had 1 CB from mass mailing (4 weeks ago) and have another one next week.
with that many screeners, i think it'll still work out for you...plus you have another CB to go :D
I'm not trying to be mean, but you are a 1L right? If so, stop posting in this thread, your aspiration guidance is somewhat annoying since you've never been through this and you ask questions of people who are venting and not wanting to have a discussion with someone who has no idea.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:
I'm not trying to be mean, but you are a 1L right? If so, stop posting in this thread, your aspiration guidance is somewhat annoying since you've never been through this and you ask questions of people who are venting and not wanting to have a discussion with someone who has no idea.
He's a 2L, duderino

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finally disembarking. I only managed four cbs out of OCI; I am rather shy, and (apparently) a terrible interviewer and this whole process was extremely difficult, stressful and terrifying for me. My first cb was my top choice firm. Afterwards I was sure I had blown it and was about as discouraged/depressed/anxious as I've been at any time in law school. That firm gave me an offer today. Believe me, fellas, if I can do it, you can.
Congratulations! How long did you wait from callback to offer? I am in a similar situation, but have been waiting on early CB / top choice for a couple weeks now . . .
Keep your head up, firms are totally idiosyncratic with respect to timing. I heard in less than a week, but this same firm has taken more than two weeks to get back with offers.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:
haha....i'm a 2L but it's not like i'm able to look back in my cycle, since i'm still in the middle of it waiting for callbacks, so you have a point and i apologize.
but i do like pointing out to people the bright side of things :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:damn it seems like everyone here is from wustl including me.

I am about to jump off the ship and committ suicide.
3L WUSTL top 20% 1 callback 0 interviews oci. 3 interviews from mass mailing. Ive talked to others and everyone has told me that ive actually done really well for 3L oci. lol
Someone needs to change the thread title to wUSStl Worried. That sucks, man. Were you similarly ranked after 1L? Schnuck's has American Honey Wild Turkey on sale, which is what I plan to get through the weekend on. So good, you can drink it straight.

jennjd

New

Post by jennjd » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:21 pm

OK, just curious of the WUStL crowd here... how is SLU faring, any info? I am NOT a student at either of these schools, but do want to be in the StL market. I completely struck out on mass mailers and Diversity Job Fair, so am curious as to whether the market would have been easier had I gone to a regional school. I am in T1, middle of class, but have exceptional work experience that has overcome my grades in many BigLaw firms so far.

Also just curious since I seriously did consider both schools, but unfortunately, a school in the market was not an option for me as an older student who has a home and family in another city.

Good luck to you all...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:32 pm

jennjd wrote:OK, just curious of the WUStL crowd here... how is SLU faring, any info? I am NOT a student at either of these schools, but do want to be in the StL market. I completely struck out on mass mailers and Diversity Job Fair, so am curious as to whether the market would have been easier had I gone to a regional school. I am in T1, middle of class, but have exceptional work experience that has overcome my grades in many BigLaw firms so far.

Also just curious since I seriously did consider both schools, but unfortunately, a school in the market was not an option for me as an older student who has a home and family in another city.

Good luck to you all...
From what I've seen, STL is not a fun place to be looking for a job. SLU is probably getting annihilated if WashU's having some difficulty with small clas sizes, since all of them are trying to pack into the same firms (whereas we disperse and there's less competition overall).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:57 pm

jennjd wrote:OK, just curious of the WUStL crowd here... how is SLU faring, any info? I am NOT a student at either of these schools, but do want to be in the StL market. I completely struck out on mass mailers and Diversity Job Fair, so am curious as to whether the market would have been easier had I gone to a regional school. I am in T1, middle of class, but have exceptional work experience that has overcome my grades in many BigLaw firms so far.

Good luck to you all...
St. Louis is an absolute bloodbath this year. If WUSTL is struggling, SLU must be getting destroyed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Welp, I'm not at WUSTL and I'm in this thread...about to strike out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:53 pm

5th CB was the charm for me. Still waiting on a few, but happy with where I am as of now.

Good luck to everyone still onboard. You guys worked hard and deserve something great!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”