No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sperry

Bronze

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by sperry » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No offers. Dropping out next week.

3L who should have done so. Have no debt, but no job prospects either. Could have gotten started on whatever non-legal thing I end up doing and not wasted an extra 2 years of my life. can't even imagine what it's like for those with 200k in debt.

robert85

New

Post by robert85 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Got a SA offer--officially off this boat!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 pm

anyone know someone in the bottom quarter that got a vault range offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Anyone know firms that are still looking? I am at a T2 so I basically am out at all Vault range firms, but I have good stats and firm experience from 1L summer so I was thinking I may have a shot at some NY firms (really willing to go anywhere, but I hear NY is where the firms are still looking).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know someone in the bottom quarter that got a vault range offer?
i have a few bottom 1/4 friends at CLS with offers as high as v10 (most are v50 but one managed to snag a v10)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:56 pm

No offers, 17 screeners, one CB. T4->T14 Transfer. My depression has turned to anger and I am going to spam the shit out of 50 firms per day until I get an offer. I may even advertise myself on facebook for my targeted market (Chicago). This is crap. I'm smarter than most of the people I know that do have offers and still have no job.

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No offers, 17 screeners, one CB. T4->T14 Transfer. My depression has turned to anger and I am going to spam the shit out of 50 firms per day until I get an offer. I may even advertise myself on facebook for my targeted market (Chicago). This is crap. I'm smarter than most of the people I know that do have offers and still have no job.

And as a transfer you have figured out in a month of classes that you're so much smarter than your new classmates :roll:

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:00 pm

sperry wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No offers, 17 screeners, one CB. T4->T14 Transfer. My depression has turned to anger and I am going to spam the shit out of 50 firms per day until I get an offer. I may even advertise myself on facebook for my targeted market (Chicago). This is crap. I'm smarter than most of the people I know that do have offers and still have no job.

And as a transfer you have figured out in a month of classes that you're so much smarter than your new classmates :roll:
perhaps his interviewers can sense his arrogance

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:01 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:
sperry wrote:

perhaps his interviewers can sense his arrogance
come on guys. don't rag on him in this thread

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 pm

blah so when do mid-sized firms start hiring? fml.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:54 pm

This is going to be the most nerve-wracking week of my life. After going 0/5, I'm supposed to find out from three callbacks I had from OCI, four from mass-mailing, and have my last callback by the end of the week. I felt like I clicked much better with interviewers during my second round of callbacks and definitely sounded less nervous.

If I do strike out, it will be entirely the fault of my interviewing skills. I was fortunate enough to have a ton of callbacks but I haven't been able to seal the deal. Will I achieve the honor of most callbacks without an offer? Let's find out! I can't bring myself to do work.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:46 am

You're the exact type of student people don't mind seeing fail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:53 am

Should have clarified. I was referring to the people from my old T4 school that have offers. Definitely NOT even close to the smartest at my new school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 am

are firms closed today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 am

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
You're the exact type of student people don't mind seeing fail.
Leave him/her alone; if you can't vent here, where can you? To the person who posted, I know how you feel, it's so disheartening. Please don't give up yet. Firms are figuring out right about now exactly how many more people they need. Send your resume to anyone and everyone who hasn't rejected you, and then follow up a few days later. If you haven't yet, do a mock interview ASAP.

I was in the same boat as you post-OCI. Don't lose hope!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:are firms closed today?
If you can find a firm that is closed for Columbus Day, that's the firm you want to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:31 am

Void wrote:
If you can find a firm that is closed for Columbus Day, that's the firm you want to work for.
haha; i was just wondering if i should not be staring at my phone awaiting a call if they were closed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawbanshee

New

Post by lawbanshee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:34 am

Seriously, if some of you guys/gals end up no-offered and decide not to drop out, you should begin registering with the temp agencies right now:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/ ... KW1GZN958H

Some of the agencies offer free training in the software systems like Concordance, Summation, Ringtail, Relativity, etc. Check w/ your school's Lexis rep as well, as they offer Concordance training as well since it's a Lexis "product."

There are a lot of temp. projects popping up in NYC/NJ again, because rates have dropped so much ITE that it really no longer makes sense to outsource it to India. The flood of unemployed American JD's/lawyers is so staggering that work is coming back home again.

The good news too for you guys is that there are entry-level projects popping up again too:

http://www.hirecounsel.com/jobs_search_ ... hp?id=1216

Yes the rate is low, but suck it up for a few months and you can move up to something better after you get bar admitted. For admitted lawyers the NYC rate is a standard $30 flat/hr, but some gigs are creeping back up to 32-34 an hour.

See if your school will somehow let you keep your student health plan for awhile postgrad, as these jobs do not pay any health benefits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:38 am

lawbanshee wrote:Seriously, if some of you guys/gals end up no-offered and decide not to drop out, you should begin registering with the temp agencies right now:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/ ... KW1GZN958H

Some of the agencies offer free training in the software systems like Concordance, Summation, Ringtail, Relativity, etc. Check w/ your school's Lexis rep as well, as they offer Concordance training as well since it's a Lexis "product."

There are a lot of temp. projects popping up in NYC/NJ again, because rates have dropped so much ITE that it really no longer makes sense to outsource it to India. The flood of unemployed American JD's/lawyers is so staggering that work is coming back home again.

The good news too for you guys is that there are entry-level projects popping up again too:

http://www.hirecounsel.com/jobs_search_ ... hp?id=1216

Yes the rate is low, but suck it up for a few months and you can move up to something better after you get bar admitted. For admitted lawyers the NYC rate is a standard $30 flat/hr, but some gigs are creeping back up to 32-34 an hour.

See if your school will somehow let you keep your student health plan for awhile postgrad, as these jobs do not pay any health benefits.
this is so dumb. big law is not the only way to get a job. why would you sign up for these agencies as a 2L. what bout smaller firms, even if they only pay 50K. what about being a DA? oci/big law is not the only option.

lawbanshee

New

Post by lawbanshee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:51 am

this is so dumb. big law is not the only way to get a job. why would you sign up for these agencies as a 2L. what bout smaller firms, even if they only pay 50K. what about being a DA? oci/big law is not the only option.
Small firms do not generally have much interest in recent grads, as they have neither the time nor the inclination to teach people how to practice. And if you can find a small firm in NYC paying only 50 K, let me know and I'll leave this project immediately and take it LOL.

Oh, and DA's offices are laying off attorneys by the wagon load, not hiring new ones:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... en_co.html

Even US Attorneys offices have cut salary to 0 (zero) dollars:

http://www.lawjobs.com/newsandviews/Law ... slreturn=1

Ditto the NJ state AG:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases09/pr20090714a.html

Still think signing up for doc review is"dumb"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:54 am

Void wrote:
Mine is! Bonus!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm

lawbanshee wrote:
Small firms do not generally have much interest in recent grads, as they have neither the time nor the inclination to teach people how to practice. And if you can find a small firm in NYC paying only 50 K, let me know and I'll leave this project immediately and take it LOL.

Oh, and DA's offices are laying off attorneys by the wagon load, not hiring new ones:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... en_co.html

Even US Attorneys offices have cut salary to 0 (zero) dollars:

http://www.lawjobs.com/newsandviews/Law ... slreturn=1

Ditto the NJ state AG:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases09/pr20090714a.html

Still think signing up for doc review is"dumb"?
Yes, I do. Unless your bottom of the class @ T2. My friend was top 30% at hofstra and got a job at a smallish firm doing medical mal for 50K a year in LI. This is obvi just one example. I'm just saying your prospects are not over just b/c you dont score big law. I know its hard and difficult market, but signing up for doc review as a first semester 2L is unnecessary. Also kings county DA and manhattan DA did OCI at my school for 3Ls this year. If they arent hiring, why would they show up?

lawbanshee

New

Post by lawbanshee » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Yes, I do. Unless your bottom of the class @ T2. My friend was top 30% at hofstra and got a job at a smallish firm doing medical mal for 50K a year in LI. This is obvi just one example. I'm just saying your prospects are not over just b/c you dont score big law. I know its hard and difficult market, but signing up for doc review as a first semester 2L is unnecessary. Also kings county DA and manhattan DA did OCI at my school for 3Ls this year. If they arent hiring, why would they show up?
Your friend in med mal will probably be out of a job soon:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/201 ... m_des.html

Understand that tort reformers have been salivating over med mal reform for years, as it's the last big "cash cow" for the plaintiff firms, esp. the Bronx cases. Capping damages will basically kill off all but the most egrigious cases (like wrong limb amputated, etc), because the plaintiff's firms have to "front" the expenses for these cases, which with experts and such can run north of 100 K per case. If all you can recover is 250 K (about 83 K in fees, actually less as med mal fees are less than standard tort), these cases will dry up almost overnight. There won't be any point in spending 100 K on experts to recover 83 K max. Couple that with the fact that most of the cases are utter BS and based on junk science, slick lawyers, and incredibly stupid jurors, and you can kiss this field goodbye. Texas and most southern states have already almost eliminated med mal as a practice area.

Same exact thing happened to auto cases (whiplash etc) about 5 yrs ago. Look up "NY auto accident treatment gap" and you'll see that these little moneymakers have gone the way of the dodo bird.

WE'll keep a chair warm for you here on doc review dood.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Not FL thankfully. Also no put up or shut up rule for state court MSJ. Get money!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:56 pm

lawbanshee wrote:
Your friend in med mal will probably be out of a job soon:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/201 ... m_des.html

Understand that tort reformers have been salivating over med mal reform for years, as it's the last big "cash cow" for the plaintiff firms, esp. the Bronx cases. Capping damages will basically kill off all but the most egrigious cases (like wrong limb amputated, etc), because the plaintiff's firms have to "front" the expenses for these cases, which with experts and such can run north of 100 K per case. If all you can recover is 250 K (about 83 K in fees, actually less as med mal fees are less than standard tort), these cases will dry up almost overnight. There won't be any point in spending 100 K on experts to recover 83 K max. Couple that with the fact that most of the cases are utter BS and based on junk science, slick lawyers, and incredibly stupid jurors, and you can kiss this field goodbye. Texas and most southern states have already almost eliminated med mal as a practice area.

Same exact thing happened to auto cases (whiplash etc) about 5 yrs ago. Look up "NY auto accident treatment gap" and you'll see that these little moneymakers have gone the way of the dodo bird.

WE'll keep a chair warm for you here on doc review dood.
Do you have a google alert for any time "doc review" is mentioned on the internet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”