No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser

Gold

Re: No Offers Yet- All Aboard the USS Worried

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Not to bring you all down any further, but I just wanted to point out that even if you get off this train, you're only stepping onto the platform to board another:

Just spoke to a friend of mine who got no offered by her 2L summer firm. All ten summers in her class were no offered due to economic reasons. This at a Southern mid law/regional big law firm that paid market for the region.
And what had the firm done the year before? These kids were totally blindsided by this?

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Not to bring you all down any further, but I just wanted to point out that even if you get off this train, you're only stepping onto the platform to board another:

Just spoke to a friend of mine who got no offered by her 2L summer firm. All ten summers in her class were no offered due to economic reasons. This at a Southern mid law/regional big law firm that paid market for the region.
--ImageRemoved--

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:12 pm

kaiser wrote:

And what had the firm done the year before? These kids were totally blindsided by this?
Typical Southern firm rates of 40-60% offers.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
kaiser wrote:

Typical Southern firm rates of 40-60% offers.
Wow thats awful. I'm not sure why that would be. I'm sort of grateful that NY firms cut hiring so much 2 years ago. Makes it so offer rates are able to be at 100% or close to it, since most firms were overly cautious during the crisis and now can afford to actually hire those they bring on (since they are still bringing on less than before).

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:24 pm

If Europe does the unthinkable later this week, southern firms won't be the only ones with horrific offer rates this summer.

C'est la vie, it's out of our control.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Well this office is just dumb to extend TEN offers, especially if it's in the Southern region... unless you're in the NY market, no office has any business extending that many offers. Most offices have drastically cut down their summer classes to 2-4 SA's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Well this office is just dumb to extend TEN offers, especially if it's in the Southern region... unless you're in the NY market, no office has any business extending that many offers. Most offices have drastically cut down their summer classes to 2-4 SA's.
Out the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:00 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:If Europe does the unthinkable later this week, southern firms won't be the only ones with horrific offer rates this summer.

C'est la vie, it's out of our control.
Keep your grades up and hope that if everything goes to shit there's 3L OCI? My god what a scary thought.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Out the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Seriously, this firm needs to be outed.

Are they interviewing again this cycle?

grash

New

Post by grash » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:17 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

It should be apparent on NALP for the next class anyway.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 pm

grash wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

It should be apparent on NALP for the next class anyway.
True.

Though if they are, for whatever reason, currently interviewing, that'll be too late for current 2Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:00 pm

finally jumping off board! got an offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

someone tell me wtf you mean by "Southern Region". You certainly can't be including bigTex firms in this discussion. VE Houston has classes of around 50, BB always has like 20-30..... just to name a few. they also have good offer rates. "unless you're in the NY market"-- ridiculous generalization.

tlstlstls73

New

Post by tlstlstls73 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

someone tell me wtf you mean by "Southern Region". You certainly can't be including bigTex firms in this discussion. VE Houston has classes of around 50, BB always has like 20-30..... just to name a few. they also have good offer rates. "unless you're in the NY market"-- ridiculous generalization.
South means ATL/FL/ALA/NC/LA

not TX

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What? I'm working in Atlanta this summer and every biglaw firm in the city will have double digit SA's next summer. And every firm has for just about every year in the past, maybe with the exception of the last 1 or 2. And this probably applies to major firms in other major southern markets as well (Raleigh, Miami, Tampa, Charlotte, etc). If you're talking about Jacksonville, FL firms with 30 lawyers, maybe, but there are firms in the "southern region" with hundreds of attorneys. They don't have 2-4 SA's.

(But yeah, out the firm)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:finally jumping off board! got an offer.
congrats! now go celebrate!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Not outing the firm, but I will say it's in Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana.

Also, Texas is not the South.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Not outing the firm, but I will say it's in Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana.

birmingham?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm finally off! Got an offer at a mid-sized firm in a secondary market. Still waiting on a few others (4 CBs in the past 2 weeks), but it is definitely nice to have something in the bag!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Not outing the firm, but I will say it's in Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana.

ok, ok. I'm not from the south, or texas, so I just wasn't sure. I guess Texas is just...Texas? The Southwest?

and there are law firms in Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana??? lolwut?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm finally off! Got an offer at a mid-sized firm in a secondary market. Still waiting on a few others (4 CBs in the past 2 weeks), but it is definitely nice to have something in the bag!
Congrats!

Which mid-sized market if you don't mind me asking? (East/Midwest/South/Southwest/West). Also, were your other CB's same market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm finally off! Got an offer at a mid-sized firm in a secondary market. Still waiting on a few others (4 CBs in the past 2 weeks), but it is definitely nice to have something in the bag!
Congrats!

Which mid-sized market if you don't mind me asking? (East/Midwest/South/Southwest/West). Also, were your other CB's same market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Mateys, my journey with you has come to an end. I'm officially disembarking.

Mid-sized firm in my home market. Waiting on the official offer letter/e-mail before following up with my other targeted firms to see if they're going to move.

Good luck, guys, I know this whole process just absolutely sucks, and I pray that it comes to a successful end for each of you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:58 pm

anyone hear from herrick feinstein ny

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”