Willkie NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Willkie NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview here Friday and am really excited about it-my top choice going into the CB. Does anyone have any other tips about the CB? The setup of it and any personal anecdotes?

You'll go in, and likely go up to the 45th floor, which is reception. They'll stick you in a small holding room, essentially, with some drinks/snacks, until someone from recruiting comes to get you to take you to your first interview. Pretty standard 4 interview setup. At the end they sent me back to the holding room, where I waited 15 minutes, and then had a final interview with a hiring partner.

I did not care for the fact that they did not tell you ahead of time with whom you were interviewing. Indeed, even on the way to my first interview, I asked the person from recruiting if I could have a copy of my schedule for the day and I was told no, I could not, and that I would get a copy at the end of my day. It made for a somewhat unusual experience, as I had no idea what practice group my interviewers were a part of, where they had gone to school, etc.

I found it somewhat bland, and not terribly distinguishable from a lot of the other callbacks I've been on. It did not include a lunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview here Friday and am really excited about it-my top choice going into the CB. Does anyone have any other tips about the CB? The setup of it and any personal anecdotes?

You'll go in, and likely go up to the 45th floor, which is reception. They'll stick you in a small holding room, essentially, with some drinks/snacks, until someone from recruiting comes to get you to take you to your first interview. Pretty standard 4 interview setup. At the end they sent me back to the holding room, where I waited 15 minutes, and then had a final interview with a hiring partner.

I did not care for the fact that they did not tell you ahead of time with whom you were interviewing. Indeed, even on the way to my first interview, I asked the person from recruiting if I could have a copy of my schedule for the day and I was told no, I could not, and that I would get a copy at the end of my day. It made for a somewhat unusual experience, as I had no idea what practice group my interviewers were a part of, where they had gone to school, etc.

I found it somewhat bland, and not terribly distinguishable from a lot of the other callbacks I've been on. It did not include a lunch.

I really liked that they didn't tell you who you are meeting with in advance. It opened up some easy topics of conversation to kill time and to chat (i.e. it was kosher to ask what practice group they are in, etc.) Plus, I feel like people dig way too deep into their interviewers and come off as creepers (and I've had many interviewers joke around with me about how creepy some interviewees come off for doing this). I guess I'm just a fan of the unexpected, and I like being surprised and having to "adapt" on the spot. Sure, I plan things out as best I can, but I don't mind doing it on the fly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I really liked that they didn't tell you who you are meeting with in advance. It opened up some easy topics of conversation to kill time and to chat (i.e. it was kosher to ask what practice group they are in, etc.) Plus, I feel like people dig way too deep into their interviewers and come off as creepers (and I've had many interviewers joke around with me about how creepy some interviewees come off for doing this). I guess I'm just a fan of the unexpected, and I like being surprised and having to "adapt" on the spot. Sure, I plan things out as best I can, but I don't mind doing it on the fly.

Same anon here. I definitely did enjoy that aspect of it, to a certain extent. I was mostly irked by the fact that they wouldn't give me a copy of my schedule when I got there. It's a small thing, for sure, but not knowing how many interviews/how long I would be there kind of stuff put me off slightly. As well, it meant I had interviews with a number of people whose practice areas I was not at all interested in (Litigation, Bankruptcy, etc.). I really like to get into some of the corporate stuff in my interviews, so I lost out on that opportunity for those.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Any word yet? If no, can we promise to inform each other when results go out? I was told the hiring committee would meet sometime this week, and I'm pretttttty anxious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word yet? If no, can we promise to inform each other when results go out? I was told the hiring committee would meet sometime this week, and I'm pretttttty anxious.

I just got a call from them. I interviewed last week :) I'm so excited

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Well, that's anxiety inducing.

ETA: congratulations to you. Sorry, I'm a bit wrapped up in my neurosis right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Interviewed the same day as a friend!
She heard back with an offer one business day later.
I heard back with an offer a week and a half later.

Be patient!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Offer this morning, had my cb on Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Any 3Ls hear back yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Had my CB on Monday. No call yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had my CB on Monday. No call yet.

Same. Wait is killing me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Well, I guess that means we are all still in the running.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Did any of you meet with a hiring partner at the end of your callback? I'm the anon from above who got an offer this morning, and I did, so it was that hiring partner who called me today. I was told that it wasn't a reflection on your chances, but just if somebody was available at the time you finished to talk to you. I'm not sure how much I believe that, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:04 pm

I am one of the above still waiting, and yes I did meet with a hiring partner. They had me wait around for a little while until she was free.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did any of you meet with a hiring partner at the end of your callback? I'm the anon from above who got an offer this morning, and I did, so it was that hiring partner who called me today. I was told that it wasn't a reflection on your chances, but just if somebody was available at the time you finished to talk to you. I'm not sure how much I believe that, though.

I thought everyone meets with a hiring partner. Maybe not though. I met with them after my CB even with all the partners being very busy.

So anywhere from a day to a week for acceptances. Any news on how long rejections take post CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did any of you meet with a hiring partner at the end of your callback? I'm the anon from above who got an offer this morning, and I did, so it was that hiring partner who called me today. I was told that it wasn't a reflection on your chances, but just if somebody was available at the time you finished to talk to you. I'm not sure how much I believe that, though.

I thought everyone meets with a hiring partner. Maybe not though. I met with them after my CB even with all the partners being very busy.

So anywhere from a day to a week for acceptances. Any news on how long rejections take post CB?

Oh, well maybe that is true -- I just know what one of my interviewers told me, that not everybody does.

Regardless, looks like I'll be declining the offer, so good luck all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 pm

I didn't read anything into meeting with a hiring partner. I was in the waiting room with another person, and both of us were brought in for a 5th interview with a hiring partner. Ugg, really hope I hear back from them soon. Though it went really well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh, well maybe that is true -- I just know what one of my interviewers told me, that not everybody does.

Decline it soon please to give us whatever better chance it may.

Edit: Congrats on wherever you end up!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Decline it soon please to give us whatever better chance it may.

+1 Would be much appreciated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I met with a hiring partner also, and got dinged. I think I may have dropped the ball in the hiring partner interview, because they kind of sprung it on me after I thought I was done and my energy level reflected that. It didn't help that his style was basically an immediate, "So what can I tell you about Willkie?" after I had just met with 5 other people and asked all the questions I could ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Have offer from them (Interviewed on a tuesday, got call following wednesday) but will be declining. Hope it opens up room for all of you. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I met with a hiring partner also, and got dinged. I think I may have dropped the ball in the hiring partner interview, because they kind of sprung it on me after I thought I was done and my energy level reflected that. It didn't help that his style was basically an immediate, "So what can I tell you about Willkie?" after I had just met with 5 other people and asked all the questions I could ask.

their interviewing process is tacky. major turn off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have offer from them (Interviewed on a tuesday, got call following wednesday) but will be declining. Hope it opens up room for all of you. Good luck.

Congrats on the offer and thank you for opening up a spot. Next week will really be a telling one for me, as I went on 4 CB's in this past week, including Willkie. Excited to hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any 3Ls hear back yet?

Ditto. Any 3Ls on this thread?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Anyone who was there late last week please share when you hear back. Good luck to everyone!

Any ideas when the hiring committee meets? I'm guessing Fridays based on offer comments in this thread.

Return to “Legal Employment”