Cravath Callback - What to expect?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cravath Callback - What to expect?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged after a Cravath CB. All of my interviews were like pleasant long screeners, like the above posters have said, except for 1. That partner really grilled & challenged me, especially on my answers for why law & why Cravath. Nothing I said seemed to be good enough for him. Plus, the answers for why Cravath MUST be specifically for Cravath alone. At one point, the partner said that what I said would apply to WLRK & S&C as well, so my answer was not good enough. I have found that such answers that apply to a handful of firms are good enough for interviewers at other firms, where I have received multiple offers, but not CSM. He also asked some substantive "gotcha" questions & tried to trip me up w/ some hypos, like a law school prof. That being said, I think CSM was a reach for me anyway, not to mention the fact that I probably would not want to work for the partner I met. I got a snail mail ding about a week afterward. Hope this helps.

Corp or Lit?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged after a Cravath CB. All of my interviews were like pleasant long screeners, like the above posters have said, except for 1. That partner really grilled & challenged me, especially on my answers for why law & why Cravath. Nothing I said seemed to be good enough for him. Plus, the answers for why Cravath MUST be specifically for Cravath alone. At one point, the partner said that what I said would apply to WLRK & S&C as well, so my answer was not good enough. I have found that such answers that apply to a handful of firms are good enough for interviewers at other firms, where I have received multiple offers, but not CSM. He also asked some substantive "gotcha" questions & tried to trip me up w/ some hypos, like a law school prof. That being said, I think CSM was a reach for me anyway, not to mention the fact that I probably would not want to work for the partner I met. I got a snail mail ding about a week afterward. Hope this helps.

What exactly did you say? If nothing else, why didn't you wax on about the glories of the Cravath system?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Was that with Andy Pitts? Worst interviewer ever. He seemed more interested in arguing with me.

I hated that place. I got an offer, and I turned it down. One associate I met admitted to just coming off three 100 hour weeks. He looked physically ill. And WTF with associates sharing desks? Very TTT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Was that with Andy Pitts? Worst interviewer ever. He seemed more interested in arguing with me.

I hated that place. I got an offer, and I turned it down. One associate I met admitted to just coming off three 100 hour weeks. He looked physically ill. And WTF with associates sharing desks? Very TTT.

same here. hated the place. the people came off as very gruff. don't really know how to describe it. wouldn't go so far to call it rude, but was pretty close.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Please tell me you're joking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:52 pm

For anyone who got dinged, how long did it take after your CB, and in what form (snail mail, I assume?). I have a suspicion I'll know the answer soon enough, just thought I'd get a handle on when to expect the news and how it is supposed to arrive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:58 pm

My Cravath screener was largely an argument about a constitutional question, and it A) was the most interesting and engaging interview of the week for me, and B) gave the interviewer more useful information about me than any other interviewer procured in my ~20 other screeners.

It's a bit strange hearing aspiring lawyers complaining about participating in arguments.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Corp or Lit?

Corp

sellout

Postby sellout » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 pm

quakeroats wrote:

What exactly did you say? If nothing else, why didn't you wax on about the glories of the Cravath system?

I talked about the Cravath system, but he wanted more. I talked about complex cross-border transactional work, based on the web site, but he thought that was too bland. I also talked about getting substantive work early, but that was too generic for him.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No, it wasn't. Which makes it worse that they have multiple partners with that attitude. I have now been on 11 callbacks, & to date, that has still been the only combative/antagonistic interview segment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who got dinged, how long did it take after your CB, and in what form (snail mail, I assume?). I have a suspicion I'll know the answer soon enough, just thought I'd get a handle on when to expect the news and how it is supposed to arrive.

Dinged a week later by snail mail. If you don't hear back with 2 business days, the odds are extremely high you've been dinged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who got dinged, how long did it take after your CB, and in what form (snail mail, I assume?). I have a suspicion I'll know the answer soon enough, just thought I'd get a handle on when to expect the news and how it is supposed to arrive.

Dinged a week later by snail mail. If you don't hear back with 2 business days, the odds are extremely high you've been dinged.

It's generally a bad sign if you leave without an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's generally a bad sign if you leave without an offer.

From the summers I've talked to - Not anymore man. The end-of-day offers are rare now.

tripu11

Postby tripu11 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Last edited by tripu11 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Does anyone have information regarding the phone screeners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Has anyone who interviewed this past Tuesday (9/6) heard back yet? Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”