Should I send updated resume to recruiting dept for CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I send updated resume to recruiting dept for CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:40 pm

I did the screener and got a CB. However, I had a typo on my resume and my resume has updated between those two periods. should i send an updated resume to the recruiting department for them to send it out to the interviewing attorneys?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Re: Should I send updated resume to recruiting dept for CB?

Postby MrAnon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:54 pm

How much has your resume changed in two weeks? No don't do this. The recruiter is likely an airhead and will blast your new resume out to the 4 people who are interviewing you. They already have your old resume (that is two weeks old). No need to point out to everyone in the firm that you are constantly updating and changing your resume. They don't need you to do that with firm memos; you get one chance, you turn it in, its done. It makes you seem disorganized. Whatever you've done so far has worked, don't start making lots of changes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:08 am

It depends on the circumstances. If you have been given an offer to do something extra this fall (say you just landed a really good externship), then you should probably just wait till your callback interviews, and bring it up to your interviewers. This might be as easy as saying: "Yes I'm interested in transactional work, I've been trying get as much experience with transactions since I've come to law school. I actually just started an externship this fall In-House at X company. They have me reviewing and assisting with drafting such and such agreements.

On the other hand: say you were signed up to do something but had to drop out. In this case you should probably just shoot the recruiter an email stating your change in plans. The reason I advise this: if the firm checks up on that line of your resume and you didn't actually do it, you will at the least not be getting the job. If you have caught the mistake early, the recruiter will not have sent your resume out yet and there will be no harm no foul in providing an updated file. You might even come off looking good for being honest about something as small as a minor resume change.

This will be better than having to

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:20 am

OP here.
well another thing (which i didn't originally mention) is that i had a typo on my original resume. I want to mask that as soon as possible.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:33 am

send.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 am

Don't send if it will just highlight a typo.

Do send if there is a substantive change.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm telling you, don't send it under any circumstances. They already have a stack of resumes from you and everyone else they are interviewing that day. the attorneys dont want more paper floating around. They barely looked at the details of your resume anyway, just the highlights. The resume was examined when they decided to give you an interview; at this point, no one is going to pick it up again; they are just going to focus on you as a person in your interview.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:56 pm

If it's a good change (i.e. makes you look better), send an update. If it's a bad change, leave it out. What everyone is saying about a stack of paper is wrong; firms keep docs in an electronic doc management system, and they can just save your new attachment as the latest version. Easy for them, and could be good for you.

Return to “Legal Employment”